Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchasing on-line from UK

Options
  • 27-11-2008 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hi All,

I just have a quick query. I'm after purchasing my new computer parts from a site in the UK.

I'm curious to figure out if I've been ripped off. When purchasing products from the UK, shouldn't you only be charged the UK VAT rate? This site, once you give your location as Ireland, they charge you 21% VAT. Since I'm not physically purchasing the goods here in Ireland surely I shouldn't be paying the VAT prices from over here?

EDIT: Also if you have a VAT number, should they be charging you VAT and providing you a VAT receipt so that you can claim back the VAT or should they just not be charging the VAT?

Has anyone any info on the above?

Thanks a mil,
    Marcus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

overclockers.co.uk then?

AFAIK they should only be charging the 17.5% uk rate. Im open to correction. There was a thread about this a few months back

• Registered Users Posts: 16,684 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

they are registered for VAT in Ireland, and thus charge Irish VAT, you can get a VAT invoice off them if you are claiming it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭jammer84

Krieg wrote: »
    overclockers.co.uk then?

AFAIK they should only be charging the 17.5% uk rate. Im open to correction. There was a thread about this a few months back

Yip it twas indeed. They've delayed my deliveries for over a week even after payment was made by making excuses that products weren't in stock even though the website said they were. They even told me while on the phone that stock was not in but yet I got a dispatch email while on the phone to them. They then said after a week and two days that their systems could not deliver to my address because my town did not show up on their systems. This was after me being on the phone to them for the week looking for my deliveries. I kept getting the response, they will be with you tomorrow as they have been shipped, then the following day, they are going out today for you. They ended up sending my parts to Castlebar, Galway instead of Ballina, Mayo. Castlebar's in Mayo you twats!

I got a cousin to pick up one of my parcels there this morning as my others were reported to be delivered to me today, I then found out an hour ago from DHL that my other parcels have also been sitting in Galway since this morning but yet when speaking to DHL this morning regarding my parcel that got collected this morning, they assured me that the other three deliveries would be with me today as they were on route. Hopefully a cousins mate will be able to collect them for me.

It's really been a nuisance of an experience dealing with OCUK for this build. I'd think again about dealing with them.

Enough of a random slur above. I've my Antec 1200 sitting on front of me, with my corsair hx620 installed and my sata DVD/RW, waiting to insert my lonely looking i7-940 and my M/B, RAM and Raptor when they ever arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭jammer84

astrofool wrote: »
    they are registered for VAT in Ireland, and thus charge Irish VAT, you can get a VAT invoice off them if you are claiming it back.

Unfortunately I can't claim the VAT back as dad couldn't put the PC through the books. I was hoping it was like some places where if you have a VAT number they just don't charge the VAT so that it then doesn't have to be claimed back.:(

Advertisement