Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faced with a huge Bord Gais bill

Options
  • 27-11-2008 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭

Looking for advice on this.

I moved into rented accommodation about 6 weeks ago and had a job trying to get bord gais to add me as the new account holder. Eventually got it sorted and they wanted a Meter reading, gave them the reading, it was excessively high and it looked like the meter/gasbox was old/faulty so they went and replaced it for free.

All good, they know the thing is faulty and the cost the difference in meter readings should be billed to the other person (previous account holder), and *not* me. Then tonight I get a bill for the whole thing. Over €2000.

I plan on cancelling the direct debit either way till they get this sorted. Has anyone any experience with cancelling direct debits, can I just go into my bank and get this cancelled?

Is there a chance my bank could refuse to do it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭In$omniac

I cancelled the direct debit with Bord Gais, they then added onto my next bill a bond for 400Euro! This is applicable to all customers in rented accomodation, just check the bill to see if they added this in there also. If so you will have to pay the bond.
    The rest is up to your landlord to pay, it's classed as a repair, my landlord had to pay to have circuit board replaced in the boiler!
    And yes you can cancel a direct debit I did it online, no your bank cannot refuse to cancel it they may ask you to put it in writing though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Yes, you can cancel a direct debit via your bank, However, you are suppose to cancel the direct debit on the other end as well (in this case - bord gais).

As for you high bill. This is down to your landlord. Ultimately, when you move into a new place (renting), you are supposed to take electricity/gas readings with you being responsible for all consumption after that point. You need to get your landlord involve and have them (via the previous tenants) reduce the bill to zeor from the day you moved in (for which you are responsible).

Having said that, expect some resistance from your landlord, as it's not their fault either (but it is their responsibility to ensure that the previous tenants paid their bills in full - that is part of why a landlord takes a deposit). However, if the landlord was duped by the previous tenants, although it is still his/her responsibility, you have to feel for them as, ultimately, they were ****ed over by the previous tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

That's a relief that I wont have any issues as far as the bank and the direct debit.

Apparently the meter was read last march and since then there's over 1000 units on it (and from what I've been told it was hardly used over the summer), so for this reason I put it down that it had to be faulty and got bord gais to replace it for us. Thats what I've put this error down to.

I'm not on a lease yet, but the landlord is drumming for us all to sign one before the end of the year, so if bord gais don't rectify the bill with the reason above, then it look like it'll be one of the list of demands before we sign anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

so you moved into a house with no lease in place? in other words nothing to protect you legally as a tenant.

BAD BAD idea! get a lease signed ASAP, otherwise come Christmas eve you might be homeless!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

In$omniac wrote: »
    no your bank cannot refuse to cancel it they may ask you to put it in writing though!
    Be warned: AIB are **** about this. They gave me some crap about "only being able to stop the DD's for 3 months".

=-=

As for the lease, demand the landlord sort out the gas sooner rather than later. If not, maybe look for another house. Paying €2000 for gas that you didn't use isn't your problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

so you moved into a house with no lease in place? in other words nothing to protect you legally as a tenant.

Except the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

the_syco wrote: »
    As for the lease, demand the landlord sort out the gas sooner rather than later. If not, maybe look for another house. Paying €2000 for gas that you didn't use isn't your problem.

That's something I'll be doing alright, we're due to sign a lease before end of the year so it's something I'll be demanding rectified before any of us sign the lease.

Turns out bord gais never registered the directdebit with my bank, but they've agreed to cancel it on their end till it gets sorted which is a relief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Still put a stop on it with your bank, just in case - human error and all that:) At debit to your account of €2000 would be a shock any time, but this time of year you don't want to be short of a few bob.

Advertisement