Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dual Carriageway Freeflow Junction

• 28-11-2008 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

Can anyone give me the definitive list of Freeflow junctions in Ireland between two or more dual carriageway roads.

Off the top of my head, I can think of only one.

- N25 to N28 on the Cork South Ring Road. (and of course, this is just a trumpet with the N28 ending at this junction)

Those in construction are obviously the N4 and N7 junctions with the M50.

Really saddens me that in this country, junctions seem to be a complete after thought, while in other European countries nothing else but a stack would be considered.

Will be beyond all ridiculous if the eventual NRR junction with the N8 north of Glanmire is not freeflow.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

totally freeflow or just in part?
    In Part:
    M1/M50
    M7/M9
    M4/M6

I think you have listed all of the proper freeflow junctions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

kbannon wrote: »
    totally freeflow or just in part?
    In Part:
    M1/M50
    M7/M9
    M4/M6

I think you have listed all of the proper freeflow junctions

Well, I was thinking about totally freeflow, with all possible movements covered.

So that's it. Just one. That's just appauling.

I'm personally amazed that one was even built. And believe it or not, it works perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

The N4 M50 is finished and fully open. The M7-M9 is free flow, but restricted access, as is the M11-M50, and the M4-M6, and so will be the N7-N18 and M7-M8. The M1-M50-N32 junction will be free flow for all movements between the M1 and M50, but the N32 will still be accessed from a roundabout. The N3 from Blanch will be free flow onto the M50 both ways, but not onto the N3 south of the M50. The M7 will be free flow onto the M20, but access will be restricted on the N20 to limerick. All movements from the M50 to the N2 will be freeflow, but going N2-M50 will not be.
    The N9-M25 will not be freeflow. I think that's all of the freeflow-ish ones open or under construction at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

It was many years ago that I realised the stupidity of the M7/M9 junction. No access to the M9 from the northbound lane of the M7. No access from the M9 to the southbound lane of the M7. So we pumped all this money into motorways in this area and if you live in Newbridge or Kilcullen, for example, you have to make rediculous trips to access some parts of the motorway.

Newbridge - Waterford - local bendy road to Kilcullen to access N9 (thereby clogging up the streets of each town) or uturn on M7.

Waterford - Newbridge/M7 southbound - uturn on M7 at Naas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

But why would you want to go anywhere other than Dublin? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

DWCommuter wrote: »
    It was many years ago that I realised the stupidity of the M7/M9 junction. No access to the M9 from the northbound lane of the M7. No access from the M9 to the southbound lane of the M7. So we pumped all this money into motorways in this area and if you live in Newbridge or Kilcullen, for example, you have to make rediculous trips to access some parts of the motorway.

Newbridge - Waterford - local bendy road to Kilcullen to access N9 (thereby clogging up the streets of each town) or uturn on M7.

Waterford - Newbridge/M7 southbound - uturn on M7 at Naas!

And lets be honest. It wouldn't have taken much more to have created a totally freeflowing trumpet.

I can't believe they are doing the same for M7/M8 junction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭steve-o

DWCommuter wrote: »
    So we pumped all this money into motorways in this area and if you live in Newbridge or Kilcullen, for example, you have to make rediculous trips to access some parts of the motorway.
    I would guess the designers knew that it would benefit very few people so the cost wasn't justified. Maybe now that the M9 is being built and Athy is a bottleneck it might be justified, but I still can't imagine high volumes wanting to come up the M7 to go down the M9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

steve-o wrote: »
    I would guess the designers assumed that it would benefit very few people so the cost wasn't justified.

There, fixed that for you... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

We are not good at connecting dual carriageways and motorways together. Period.

The N24/M25/M9 junction... roundabout.
    The M7/M18/M17 junction... roundabout.
    The M7/M50 junction... ummm... I really don't what it's meant to be now.
    The M20/M22 junction... roundabout.
    The M8/M22 junction... unspeakably awful roundabout.
    The N8/N25 junction... roundabout.
    The M7/M8 junction... half-assed free-flow.
    The M7/M9 junction... half-assed free-flow.
    The M4/M6 junction... half-assed free-flow.
    The M1/M50 junction... half-assed free-flow and roundabout.

Advertisement