Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

People who complain they failed their driving test

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

Jaysoose wrote: »
    To be fair the level of driving you describe in your circle of friends sounds shocking and none of you are placed to judge anybodies driving. At least you are balanced, what with having a chip on both shoulders about the driving test.

Well if you had read the original post you would see that the no entry sign i "ignored" was a temporary road works one on the road which led down to the driving centre. The road was the exact same as it has always been ie. two way layout with no indication that anything is different such as cones blocking off one side and is the only way to get to the driving centre normally which was 30 metres down this road. They on this day had dug out a temporary track to get there. So no, "ignoring" an almost impossible to see temporary no entry sign on a two way road does not make me a bad driver.

And i have done advanced driving courses since so i think im well able to pass judgement on the driving standards of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

samsemtex wrote: »
    Why? the Irish driving test is not a test of driving ability. Someone who has passed their test is not a better driver on that grounds. It reminds me on the ECDL computer test. My friend has it and keeps reminding me how he is more qualified on computers than i am despite the fact he is completely incompetent at computers and i am very capable at programming. Its a joke and means nothing.

Apples, pears.
    A pc is not capable of gumming me of the pavement while are car in incompetent hands definitely is.
    Just 2 days ago i walk in front of a car and the muppet decides to drive away anyway. Big red L on the car.
    To make it perfect he starts yelling at me.
    Maybe if we had a decent driving test/learning scheme so many young fellas wouldnt be killed on Irish roads. Look at the Finnish model that takes three years.
    Its mainly because Finnish roads are unpredictable and dangerous in their nature, the teach you how to deal with that. Here, we have even more unpredictible and probably even more dangerous yet look that the joke of a test we have.

So, you do agree it is a joke that someone can drive away from the test centre after failing the test?

inforfun wrote: »
    Apples, pears.
    A pc is not capable of gumming me of the pavement while are car in incompetent hands definitely is.
    Just 2 days ago i walk in front of a car and the muppet decides to drive away anyway. Big red L on the car.
    To make it perfect he starts yelling at me.

So, you do agree it is a joke that someone can drive away from the test centre after failing the test?

Yeah i do but i also think its a joke that people are considered competent after passing that which we call a driving test in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Well if you had read the original post you would see that the no entry sign i "ignored" was a temporary road works one on the road which led down to the driving centre. The road was the exact same as it has always been ie. two way layout with no indication that anything is different such as cones blocking off one side and is the only way to get to the driving centre normally which was 30 metres down this road. They on this day had dug out a temporary track to get there. So no, "ignoring" an almost impossible to see temporary no entry sign on a two way road does not make me a bad driver.

And i have done advanced driving courses since so i think im well able to pass judgement on the driving standards of others.

LOL it has gone from Badly positioned to being nigh on invisble. Advanced driving!!! thats me told.:)

LOL it has gone from Badly positioned to being nigh on invisble. Advanced driving!!! thats me told.:)

Well it should be i more than likely do posess a higher degree of car control/knowledge of what to do in an emergency than you because of it. It doesnt really bother me if you believe me or not, thats the way the test centre is normally laid out in Mallow. Badly positioned making it nigh on impossible to see...difficult to grasp?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

I failed mine twice before getting it on the third go

On failing the first two times I thought that the ruling was harsh, however I decided to really get some good lessons (shopped around) and when I passed I finally understood why I had failed previously, I was driving really badly.

The instructor on both occasions was right to not give me a pass.

Rosita wrote: »
    This is nuts in fairness. People can fails tests for all sorts of reasons - poor preparation, the slightest of technicalities etc.

There also is the issue that every driving test is unique. Hazards will differ from occasion to occasion. The extent of on-coming traffic, the state of roundabouts, roadworks can all affect individual tests.

To impute a lack of intelligence or talent to someone who fails a test three times and to give them a life ban for doing so is more than a tad over the top.

The driving test is about the ability to repeat a series of often unnatural - for the average driver - operations (like checking your head-rest before driving off.......come on!:confused:.). This is hardly brain-surgery and would be a dubious measure of intelligence or talent in any broad sense.

Some people are better at playing pool thann others. Some people can run faster than others or are physically stronger than others. None of those, no less than driving ability, I would suggest, implies higher intelligence or general talent.

I dont agree. We are talking about on average 1000kgs of steel here. Put that in a persons hands who is not capable of even driving a kids tricycle and it becomes a killing machine.

If you are crap at pool, it will more than likely never kill me if we meet while you are playing pool due to your incompetance.*
    If you are a crap driver it could get me killed if we run into eachother while you are driving due to your incompetance.*

*Not saying you are crap at pool or driving...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Friend of mine failed his test for turning right out of the test centre when he was told to turn left...:rolleyes:

Well it should be i more than likely do posess a higher degree of car control/knowledge of what to do in an emergency than you because of it. It doesnt really bother me if you believe me or not, thats the way the test centre is normally laid out in Mallow. Badly positioned making it nigh on impossible to see...difficult to grasp?

Thats debatable when you cant read signs apparently. Answer me this question....if the driving test is so pointless in your opinion then what the funk are you doing advanced courses for? Maybe an advanced sign reading course would be more appropriate.:)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

jimbling wrote: »
    This is a no brainer. I know a number of girls that are useless drivers and passed with flying colours.

One of these girls crashed into a kerb when doing the reverse around a corner. Even broke one of the hubcaps. And still Passed :D

well, i am a girl and i tipped the kerb on the reversing bit and got a grade 3 for it - instant fail but that was my fault for hitting the kerb.

the second time, i didnt deserve to fail at all - i dont think being in 3rd gear instead of 2nd gear going over speed ramps is a failable reason but meh, so be it

Third 3rd time, i really didnt deserve to pass, i forgot how to drive in the middle of the test but sure there you go

i wish the driving test really taught you really driving skills, like what to do if you have a tyre burst on the motor or if you slip on ice etc.

how to change light bulbs, tyre, check tyre pressure - the really things to do with driving not reversing a round a bleeding corner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Third 3rd time, i really didnt deserve to pass, i forgot how to drive in the middle of the test but sure there you go

What were you wearing the day you passed? :D

Thats debatable when you cant read signs apparently. Answer me this question....if the driving test is so pointless in your opinion then what the funk are you doing advanced courses for? Maybe an advanced sign reading course would be more appropriate.:)

Are you a bit under the weather or are you always this incapable of comprehending something? I said we should have a test like that in Finland where they teach you how to deal with unpredictible situations arising. They teach you the basics of car control in an emergency. The Irish test does not do this and therefore is imo pointless. An advanced driving course will teach you how to react in an emergency situation and will teach you how to control your car should something unexpected happen and is therefore very useful. Comprende?

And no its not debatable, unless you have done one of these or have experience of performance driving from something else other than the standard Irish driving test then you are not a better driver and would not have a clue of what to do in an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

well, i am a girl and i tipped the kerb on the reversing bit and got a grade 3 for it - instant fail but that was my fault for hitting the kerb.

I think this is the answer to people who think that failing a driving test marks someone out as a potential killer on the road. Tests can be failed on tangential technicalities like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭mjquinno

<smugness> passed mine first time </smugness>

thank god for crooked testers... j/k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

ninty9er wrote: »
    Just after opening a thread in the Limerick Forum. Someone complaining they failed their test because of "x":rolleyes:

Unless you're a complete imbecile you can't plain fail your test on ONE item. Said they had 5 grade 2s and this was the ONE that failed them:rolleyes: They failed on all 6 not that ONE.

And if you fail, you're judged not fit...GET OVER IT

Rant over!

I hate people that **insert baby rant here** .. wahh wahh .. i'm a baby .. wahh

Someone change his or her nappy ffs

:D

I dont agree. We are talking about on average 1000kgs of steel here. Put that in a persons hands who is not capable of even driving a kids tricycle and it becomes a killing machine.

If you are crap at pool, it will more than likely never kill me if we meet while you are playing pool due to your incompetance.*
    If you are a crap driver it could get me killed if we run into eachother while you are driving due to your incompetance.*

*Not saying you are crap at pool or driving...

You are disagreeing with opinions I never offered.

All I said was your suggestion that the driving test is a good indicator of intelligence or talent doesn't stack up.

Similarly your 'apples, pears' dismissal of someone's comparison of ECDL and Driving Test is incorrect. There is a clear comparison between the two in that the acquisition of a slip of paper achieved by going through a series of practiced manouveres and processes provides no guarantee of anything once it gets outside of that situation.

As I said earlier I have to laugh at those complain that L-drivers can drive away after a failed test, yet they see nothing wrong with them arriving at the test in the same state - as an L-driver. A slip of paper achieved through that test would not fill me with confidence of someone's driving ability.

It is a farce that there is no module in driving test preparation which emhasises the dangers of speeding (the consistent primary factor, surely, in road deaths) yet you can be asked to demonstrate hand signals that you would give to a Garda ahead of you! What an utter joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

kc66 wrote: »
    The tester can fail you for touching the kerb while reversing around the corner. It happens. So it must be a grade 3 fault.
    Another driving test myth!
    Some people are better at playing pool thann others. Some people can run faster than others or are physically stronger than others. None of those, no less than driving ability, I would suggest, implies higher intelligence or general talent.
    Being poor at athletics or pool is unlikely to endanger yourself or others or cause inconvienence.
    i got one grade 3 for ignoring a fairly concealed temporary road works sign saying a road which is normally 2 way is temporarily one way
    i ignored a badly positioned no entry sign
    the no entry sign i "ignored" was a temporary road works one
    I'm puzzled by this. Did the examiner instruct you to turn into a one way road?

There's something fishy here.
    samsemtex wrote:
    And i have done advanced driving courses
    Yes, but have you passed an advanced driving test?
    Friend of mine failed his test for turning right out of the test centre when he was told to turn left...:rolleyes:
    Yet another myth!. One cannot fail a driving test for making a wrong turn (all else being equal).

Being poor at athletics or pool is unlikely to endanger yourself or others or cause inconvienence.

Show me where I said it did?

If you actually read the my post you would see that what I said was:

Some people are better at playing pool than others. Some people can run faster than others or are physically stronger than others. None of those, no less than driving ability, I would suggest, implies higher intelligence or general talent.

I was saying that linking intelligence or talent, in the abstract, to driving ability is no different from trying to link athletic prowess or sporting ability to intelligence.

It gives little indication of a person's general ability as was suggested by the post to whom I replied.

To say in reply to this, as you did, that "being poor at athletics or pool is unlikely to endanger yourself or others or cause inconvienence" is remarkably irrelevant to what I was saying.

the acquisition of a slip of paper achieved by going through a series of practiced manouveres and processes provides no guarantee of anything once it gets outside of that situation
    I agree entirely. passing the driving test does not prove that one is a good driver in the same way that qualifying as a doctor does not prove that one is a good doctor.

What it does show however that, during the 30-45 minutes of the test, one has displayed a certain level of competence. Therefore one would have to assume that, generally speaking, they deserve more credit than those who have not been able to display that level of competence during the same allotted period.

During the 2 years of moderating over in the Learning to Drive Forum, I have yet to hear anyone say that the driving test is perfect. Unfortunately, it's what we have at the moment.

Young male drivers are most likely to pass a category B driving test yet they are also most likely to be killed on our roads.

Another driving test myth!

i got a grade 3 for hitting the kerb :(:(

• Advertisement

Are you a bit under the weather or are you always this incapable of comprehending something? I said we should have a test like that in Finland where they teach you how to deal with unpredictible situations arising. They teach you the basics of car control in an emergency. The Irish test does not do this and therefore is imo pointless. An advanced driving course will teach you how to react in an emergency situation and will teach you how to control your car should something unexpected happen and is therefore very useful. Comprende?

And no its not debatable, unless you have done one of these or have experience of performance driving from something else other than the standard Irish driving test then you are not a better driver and would not have a clue of what to do in an emergency.

Its pointless in your opinion, shouting the same mantra over and over does not make it right. Im not from the south of ireland and hold a Uk license but then im sure you are an expert in this test aswell.

Show me where I said it did?

If you actually read the my post you would see that what I said was:

Some people are better at playing pool than others. Some people can run faster than others or are physically stronger than others. None of those, no less than driving ability, I would suggest, implies higher intelligence or general talent.

To say in reply to this, as you did, that "being poor at athletics or pool is unlikely to endanger yourself or others or cause inconvienence" is remarkably irrelevant to what I was saying.
    Apologies if I mis-represented what you were saying.

i got a grade 3 for hitting the kerb :(:(
    During a reversing manoeuvre?

I would ask for your money back because it didnt halp you spot a temporary sign indicating a one way system, or does this not fall under unexpected as the sign was camoflauged?? Give over.

Like spotting a temporary sign indicating a temporary one way system perhaps?? give over.:pac::D

yeah but its okay now, i am over the pain of it all. i dont know if the tester just stop markig the sheet after that or not but i would have passed with flying colours otherwise but there is no point in getting upset about. i made a mistake and failed the test - in the big scheme of things it amounts to nothing but a hill of beans

You are disagreeing with opinions I never offered.

All I said was your suggestion that the driving test is a good indicator of intelligence or talent doesn't stack up.

Similarly your 'apples, pears' dismissal of someone's comparison of ECDL and Driving Test is incorrect. There is a clear comparison between the two in that the acquisition of a slip of paper achieved by going through a series of practiced manouveres and processes provides no guarantee of anything once it gets outside of that situation.

As I said earlier I have to laugh at those complain that L-drivers can drive away after a failed test, yet they see nothing wrong with them arriving at the test in the same state - as an L-driver. A slip of paper achieved through that test would not fill me with confidence of someone's driving ability.

It is a farce that there is no module in driving test preparation which emhasises the dangers of speeding (the consistent primary factor, surely, in road deaths) yet you can be asked to demonstrate hand signals that you would give to a Garda ahead of you! What an utter joke.

Let me try to clear that up since you are focussing on the "intelligent" part....

I used the 3 (intelligent/capable/talent) but i should have added "or whatever" as a reason they failed the test.
    I am pretty sure there are better drivers than me out there and they could make me look like an Einstein in an IQ test or a complete idiot.

I dont really care what the reason is. In my opinion, if you fail 3 times, you had more than enough chances. A person that fails 3x shows he or she is not capable of driving a car.

As for the L drivers. There should not be a thing called L driver. The only L i would like to see on a car, is the one on the roof of a driving school car.

As far as i know (and please correct me if i am wrong) that L-driver thing was invented because of an enormous backlog in driving tests.
    To me it is a very bad idea to let people on the road wihtout a proper drivers license in order to clear a backlog.

I would ask for your money back because it didnt halp you spot a temporary sign indicating a one way system, or does this not fall under unexpected as the sign was camoflauged?? Give over.

Learn to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

As for the L drivers. There should not be a thing called L driver. The only L i would like to see on a car, is the one on the roof of a driving school car.

As far as i know (and please correct me if i am wrong) that L-driver thing was invented because of an enormous backlog in driving tests.
    To me it is a very bad idea to let people on the road wihtout a proper drivers license in order to clear a backlog.
    Well you're wrong there. That's the way it's always been here, and in the UK too, i.e. any qualified driver (with certain restrictions) can teach another person to drive. I know it's different to the way it is in Holland, and most other EU countries, where the only way to learn is through an official driving school, but that's the way it is (unfortunately IMO).

that L-driver thing was invented because of an enormous backlog in driving tests.
    You may be confusing it with the 'amnesty' of October 1979 which was provided to help clear a backlog.

• Advertisement

I'm puzzled by this. Did the examiner instruct you to turn into a one way road?

There's something fishy here.

Yes, but have you passed an advanced driving test?

Yes i have passed the advanced course.

The road is not normally one way. In preparing for my test with an instructor the road was in its normal 2 way layout and i went down it that way. My test was 2 days later and i did the same as usual as the road was exactly the same as normal except i didnt spot the temporary no entry sign which was up very high. This is the only way down to the centre and i naturally assumed it was where i was supposed to go not knowing that the council had broken down a wall to make a temporary rear entrance. Tester made no indication that the layout was changed and told me to turn into the return to the driving centre. If i didnt know the centre i'd have passed but the fact i was a local and did know it meant i followed the usual procedure.

Either way it was the only mark i got on the test and i dont think one mistake like that should be reason enough to fail some one. Just like i dont think one mistake like that girl hitting the kerb while reversing should be reason to fail. The test should be far more comprehensive than a 40 minute drive around town.

Advertisement