Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pleasants songs to drift you to sleep

Options
  • 28-11-2008 3:02am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What songs do you listen to thats so relaxing and pleasant and makes you drift off to sleep with a smile on you're face? :)

Radioheads 'House of Cards' or Pearl Jams 'Nothingman' does it for me, as well as nearly anything by Architecture in Helsinki

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 arid

Aphex Twin - Blue Calx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭coillcam

Various songs from Arcade Fire, Sigur Ros, Neil Young, The Stone Roses, God is an Astronaut and even some Tiesto are some of the artists on my Lullaby list.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Postal Service, Death Cab, Roddy Woomble, Doves etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

The last 2 songs on faith no mores 'king for a day' album are perfect for drifting off into dreamcity!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I like to listen to various stuff including some early Tom Waits. However for me the ultimate drift to sleep music has to be:

41BT0E0NYGL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I like to drift off with a little Sufjan from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Not so much a certain song, but albums. A saucerful of secrets from Pink Floyd, anything by Sigur Ros or Goldfrapp.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

most of Cherry Ghosts album does it for me too, one of my fave bands, hence my nickname :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

most of Cherry Ghosts album does it for me too, one of my fave bands, hence my nickname :P

My estimation of you just plummeted. I assumed it was a reference to Wilco.
    Speaking of, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot was a few great sleepy songs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

"Little Star" by Stina Nordenstam or "Ask the Mountains" (the one she did with Vangelis on his Voices album)

"I Surrender" by David Sylvian from the Dead Bees On a Cake album

Feel like going to bed now...:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Bubs101 wrote: »
    My estimation of you just plummeted. I assumed it was a reference to Wilco.
    Speaking of, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot was a few great sleepy songs

hoi. i still like wilco. but they're hit and miss with me

• Registered Users Posts: 14,779 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Crash Test Dummies - Mmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Royksopp - Sparks

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭davylee

pumpkins 1979

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Transformer by Lou Reed-the entire album, you'll be conked out by the time Walk On The Wild Side comes on

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Ant

Pretty much most albums that could be classed as ambient are good choices for inducing a pleasant and cathartic pre-sleep mood.

In the mid to late 90s, the records I listened to most at bed-time were the Feed Your Head compliations from Planet Dog records. Banco de Gaia and almost all the bands on that label were good for bed-time listening.

I also listened to ambient house albums such as The Orb's Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld, U.F.Orb and the wonderful Chill Out by KLF as well as their side project Space were always good. Moby's Ambient album from 1993 and Future Sound of London's Lifeforms were other good albums. Other great artists in this genre are Aphex Twin (as mentioned in a post above), Global Communication (particularly their 76:14 album) and Biosphere.

Other good pre-sleep music that isn't ambient include Morcheeba's excellent first album Who Can You Trust?, Stina Nordenstam's And She Closed Her Eyes, Mazzy Star's So Tonight That I Might See, anything from the This Mortal Coil project, Nick Drake, Dead Can Dance, Cocteau Twins and early Seefeel.

Over the past few years, it has been music from artists such as like Amiina, Air, Múm (their first album in particular), Goldfrapp, Mojave 3, Alpha, Boards of Canada, Zero 7, Ulrich Schnauss, and the probably less well-known Milosh and Colleen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Skellington

Portishead or Explosions In The Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ahaaha

john martyn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Sigur Ros - () - track 3

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Old Shoes (& Picture Postcards) - Tom Waits
    It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry - Bob Dylan
    All Apologies - Nirvana

All very relaxing songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I always seem to go for Gustav Holst's Jupiter, from The Planets suite.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 buffalo909

most of Tom Waits stuff, esp Lookin' for the heart of saturday night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 JeanH

Bittersweet I suppose - there is no doubt a tinge of sadness here... 'Sound-a-sleep' by Blondie. "...and listen to your heart beat too fast for sleep"

Fade Away and Radiate is another good one for this - "...vibrate soft in brainwave time" I think the reason this song is so peaceful and sleepy to me comes from the fact that (I've seen Blondie a few times in concert) and when they do this song they have this red light on that makes the room feel very dream-like and so I associate the song with that.

Advertisement