Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can't believe i have to ask...

Options
  • 28-11-2008 8:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭

but my visa looks almost certainly about to fail, meaning im outta the country by dec 28th. the whole point of me being here is cos my fella lives here, and we are pretty much in love, and looking at spending our lives together blah blah blah,but that is made pretty difficult with current visa bull...

so the options at the moment (i gotta get back to my work on monday to see if they have any advice as to what kind of 'additional information' i could possibly add to make the feckers let me stay... but trying to think ahead, and on the assumption i dont get it, one alternative is to have my partner sponsor me, to stay and work, with view to getting residency in new zealand.

1. is that possible? does such a thing exist? we don't technically count as 'partners' as far as i know, until we've been living together two years, which, with this second visa not being granted, is kinda not entirely possible. oh, nad he has a kid, meaning him coming to ireland isnt really an option. and do i have to be in new zealand while it's being processed? cos i can't afford to just live here as a visitor, i need to be able to work to get by.

which brings me to... australia...
    2. if i work in australia, while my possible partnership visa is being processed, which will likely take a couple of months... what sort of processing times are we talking? one month to get a working holiday visa? 6? any clues? kinda clutching at straws at this point, but how and ever...

3. can my own visa be extended? i doubt it massively, based largely on only having a month left... but can new zealand working holiday visas be extended?

*sigh*

can't believe my visa's about to be denied, i had thought about what would happen if it was, but had really thought that it would work out... we've done the long distance thing for 2 years, and that was ****ing dreadful... i thought we were finally gonna just get to settle down together and be a normal couple. meh.:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Apply for residency or work through partnership. Actually apply for work through partnership - that only takes 30 - 60 days to come through. Last time I spoke to immigration (who I now call those c u next tuesdays and everyone knows who I mean) they told me residency can take 18 months - bastards.

You say you don't count as partners but that's not true. It's flexible. Get every shred of evidence you can - anything you can possibly think of and apply. It costs $300 but is worth a go. ****, get married if you have too. You say you're going to stay together anyway. A marriage cert does not actually guarantee you partnership status (weird, I know) you still have to provide other evidence but it's pretty strong evidence. You really don't know they won't see you as partners. If himself kicks up a fuss that you being a partner would stop anything he has coming for him or make his life harder say tough. If he wants you to stay he'll suck it up and sort something out. For the residency and work visas he needs to fill ot a form which has to be witnessed by a justive of the peace to say he is sponsoring you.

You do not need to be in the country while this is processed. When I rang the c u next tuesdays and they told me my residency would not be in before my WHV comes in the two options were get a work permit through partnership or go home to Ireland and wait for it to come through. You can easily get a WHV for oz and wait for it to come through but personally I think you'd be better off in Ireland. Do you know anyone in Aus?

I'm surprised immigration were positive before about you getting a work visa. When I spoke to them about a work permit sponsored by work they told me that my job was no on the skills shortage list and that they would more than likely find other kiwis who could do my job and basically that I would not get a working permit without applying through partnership and that it wouldn't be worth my while trying.

I hate them. *

*if any of you lovely nz immingration people are reading this please don't deny my application!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Crumble, what info did you provide?

Did you give them letters and emails dating from the start of your relationship?

Did you apply for residency through partnership or residency alone?

Can work sponsor you and give you a work permit?

Have you looked at the working to residency option?

Wow... that loads of questions...

Sorry to hear its not working out too good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Rabies wrote: »
    Crumble, what info did you provide?

Did you give them letters and emails dating from the start of your relationship?

Did you apply for residency through partnership or residency alone?

Can work sponsor you and give you a work permit?

Have you looked at the working to residency option?

Wow... that loads of questions...

Sorry to hear its not working out too good.

As far as I'm aware crumble applied for a work permit through work and not anything to do with partnership.

Working to residency could actually be a good option. Did the horrible immigration people give you any other advice apart from wait and see?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

I have no practical advice, not being knowledgeable in this area, but I'm really sorry to hear you are having such stress with it.

It must be a nightmare. There must be a way around it. But fingers crossed you can find it and it all works out for you.

The permit system has changed slightly since last year.

You can no longer get a general work permit. It comes under 'skilled work permit'.
    There is a list of the skill shortage jobs on one of their websites. I think the list is changing in Jan.

I think these are the options

Partnership.
    Work to residency
    Residency
    Skilled work permit.
    Migrant visa
    Student visa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

alright, it's 8.30am, and ive just had the worst night's sleep in the world, so ill be coming back to this thread. but ah... im not skilled... right. ill get working on the partnership one straight away. and by that, i mean tomorrow. i feel like death today. first day in the new house, and it's not quite the most positive experience yet...
    You can easily get a WHV for oz and wait for it to come through but personally I think you'd be better off in Ireland. Do you know anyone in Aus?

watna, it'll cost me about $500 for return flights to oz, and about $3,500-4000 for return flights to ireland. i know a few peeps in melbourne, who'll definitely look out for me, plus, if it takes more than a couple of months for the visa to come through, i'd like to be able to work, but maybe have enough money to fly back over now and then.

agh, ill get back to this in a bit... still very groggy.

ooooooooooookay. so look's like im moving to live in melbourne by myself. should know for definite within two weeks.

basically, my general work visa is almost certain to be denied, given the recession, and increasing unemployment, meaning that the labour force contains people who could be trained to do it. meaning, feck off ya fordiner.

so alternative is going for the partnership sponsored work visa, which will include proving that im in a serious, monogomous, sexual relationship with a kiwi (the wording of that always makes me either lol or shudder), but will take 70days, and will require my passport. and i need to leave in 26 days, and will therefore require my passport. which means i can't even apply for the partnership until im in oz.

which means i gotta live there till at least april/may. and HOPE that the partnership one comes through. gotta get a load of **** together for that. man, this sucks.

im in a kinda shocked disbelief thing right now.

What are you currently working at? If your employer filled out the forms correctly and stated you're required, then it should be ok.
    Have you call immigration to find out how things are going?

You can still apply for partnership. You can get your passport back off them for travel. They only put your application on hold while you're away, that is what they did for a friend of mine.

Best of luck Crumble

Rabies wrote: »
    What are you currently working at? If your employer filled out the forms correctly and stated you're required, then it should be ok.

am a reliever for preschools. qualified teacher calls in sick/goes on holidays, ratios have to be maintained, so we get called in. the place i am at the moment really liked me, and booked me in from before i went to ireland in aug/sept, til end of the term now at christmas. before that, i could get a call at 7am, telling me i'd be working the other side of town at 8am (or 7.30, on occasion).

yeah, they said im required, they said they have to advertise constantly, provided evidence of that, that there is a national shortage of people in the early childhood thing (though admittedly, i got no qualifications), but basically, there's a formula immigration do, and there are technically enough people in the labour market at the moment who *could* do my job. so... meh. nothing can be done. work don't know what else to do/could be done, and immigration didnt exactly sound encouraging either.
    Have you call immigration to find out how things are going?
    You can still apply for partnership.

that's the plan now...
    You can get your passport back off them for travel.

that's not what they told me. they said if i applied now, and left when my visa was up, they'd have to give my passport back, which would effectively cancel that application. and im NOT overstaying, i just dont want to risk it on my record and messing up future crap. (plan is to settle here and live with my kiwi on a permanant basis).

They only put your application on hold while you're away, that is what they did for a friend of mine.

**** don't look likely to do that for me.

so im trying to get an aussie working holiday so i can work for the 4-5 months that it takes to process a partnership visa, without having to do the half-way-cross-the-world-travel thing to ireland for the 8th time since 2007, but to apply for that, i have to send them my passport, and nz **** still ahve my passport, so i rang up today to see what the story is with getting it back, how quickly can i get it back, as i have less than a week to apply for the aussie one, in order to get it back in time to get to melbourne for when i have to leave (flights are booked). but aye, rang immigration this morning to see about getting my passport back (even if it meant just cancelling current application, which is gonna get denied anyway)... and their solution? write a letter.

so ive written a letter, and am gonna hand post it in about 10mins, and if i dont hear back from them by tomorrow, im gonna asplode.

Best of luck Crumble

thanks. i be needin it.

bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Quick question, how can you work with children if you aren't qualified in anything? Just curious as it's something my gf wants to do at a later stage.

• Advertisement

well, im in relieving, i do have some experience in the form of coaching U9 camogie, being a leader of a youth group, and a couple summer's experience in temple st children's hospital playroom.

but i know people who got into it with absolutely no experience.

as far as i know, my company are in operation on the north island, ill PM you their details, and some details of some other relieving agencies, most of whom will help you train up as well.

Hey Crumble,

Could you send me the info too. Its something I've wanted to do for ages, but took a different choice in college and then ended up working in something different again.
    Might be looking for a change in a few months.

I've worked with Youth Town over here and summer camps in the states. Love working with kids. So much fun, the good times out weigh the down times.

Advertisement