Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tricks for panic attacks

• 28-11-2008 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi guys! Just wondering does anyone have any tips or tricks on coping with panic attacks when they hit? I've been finding myself increasingly overwhelmed by them recently, as I've a big presentation to do next week and I'm absolutely dreading it. I get totally overwhelmed and then all teary for a long time after. I just find I can't get a handle on them when they're very bad. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Hi guys! Just wondering does anyone have any tips or tricks on coping with panic attacks when they hit? I've been finding myself increasingly overwhelmed by them recently, as I've a big presentation to do next week and I'm absolutely dreading it. I get totally overwhelmed and then all teary for a long time after. I just find I can't get a handle on them when they're very bad. Thanks!

Hiya,
    I suffered from them for a while during a very stressful time of my life and the only way I could get through it was to recite something I knew by heart to myself. I used various poems, song lyrics. I 'knew' that the panic attack only lasted minutes so I knew (for example) that itd take me a few minutes to recite the words of American Pie to myself, and by then Id be nearly out of the panic attack.
    It was a bit like self hypnosis I suppose. Mine were more anxiety attackes than panic attacks (I think), I got a terrible pain in my chest and my head started pounding and I found it difficult to breathe. The mental recitation worked for me - anything to distract the mind really.
    I hope that helps you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Fatloss08

i have them 10 years

and although there annoying and scary at times

there nothing , they are caused by the fear of having one etc

next time u get one , just go with it , realise how ur making it worse or better , invite it to come and annoy you and i bet it wont

its only driven on by the fear of fear

if u feel one just say " hello anxiety come to annoy me today " well do what u like im grand and i know ur useless , so have a nice day and be well etc

be littling it makes it trivial and ur mind gets used to it being a stupid thing

failing that just play some music out loud or go to quiet space and sing , distraction is key

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I know someone who has very recently beaten this particular panic inducer (presenting in front of peers).

The 'trick' this person used was to present the talk in front of me. My advice was to present to me and no matter what stumbles or stammers were made, to keep going, just to have gone from Slide 1 to the end once, without stopping.

Then I advised continuous recitation in a room on her own time and again until the words began to come naturally. Then repeating it in front of me.

Once you've given the talk to yourself and maybe one other person at least 10-15 times you become bored of it, seriously bored. This boredom is key to beating the panic imo. You are SO bored of it that the thought of giving it again, on your own or in front of a room full of people is just boring, not panic inducing ;)

A key to giving a presentation is this:

At the start, the introduction tells people what you are going to tell them in the talk. Once you get through the intro, you've actually given a really mini-version of your talk, so you can tell yourself that you've already given the talk to the group once.

Then you give the talk, telling them what you said you would tell them. You've now given it twice to the people :)

At the end you summarise, telling them what you told them. That's 3 times you've given the talk. Congratulations :)

This has worked for one person I know, it may (or may not) help you.

Practice, practice, practice until you are bored of the words but confident of what you are saying next, when you know what's coming next it eases the panic a bit. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

r3nu4l wrote: »
    At the start, the introduction tells people what you are going to tell them in the talk. Once you get through the intro, you've actually given a really mini-version of your talk, so you can tell yourself that you've already given the talk to the group once.

Then you give the talk, telling them what you said you would tell them. You've now given it twice to the people :)

At the end you summarise, telling them what you told them. That's 3 times you've given the talk. Congratulations :)

Ha, I was at a conference type thing recently and we had a guy come in to talk to us about public speaking. Think he was a member of USI. He said the most effective way to pass on information to a group was to:

Tell them what you're gonna say, say it and then tell them what you've said.

So not only does it help panic attacks, it's also a great skill to perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Diveonthe12th

I now occasionally suffer from them. I've had an extremely stressful year and i also get intense migraines whenever i think about the cause for those panic attacks. (a mentally ill girlfriend who made my life hell) If it's just panic caused by a specific event or situation you've been in then you will surely surpass it with the help of psychotherapy (CBT is particular - i've been attending sessions for a few months and it really saved me!!!), and REGULAR EXERCISE. ( i went for a run this morning and i feel to tired to care about any of the usual stuff)

Also try, progressive muscle relaxation. It's a great stress reliever. Here's a link ( http://www.lessonsforliving.com/relaxation.htm ) to step by step instructions audio file.

Best of Luck to all of you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement