Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router connecting to net, but can't ping from PC

Options
  • 28-11-2008 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi all,

I hope I'm posting in the right place.

I've got Chorus cable broadband. Connecting the Windows XP PC directly to their router modem gets me online with no problems.

I'm trying to connect a Linksys WRT54G router to the modem, and have my PCs connect through the Linksys. I have the Chorus modem connected into the WAN port of the Linksys.

Now, the Linksys seems to connect fine. It gets its Chorus IP address and DNS settings etc. From its diagnostics page, I can ping and traceroute, for example to www.google.com and I get a response.

However, connecting my PC into one of the Linksys' four ethernet ports doesn't allow me to call up web pages. The Linksys' internal IP is set to 192.168.1.254, and it's assigning local IP addresses by DHCP. So my PC is getting the IP address 192.168.1.100.

The PC is set to obtain IP and DNS automatically. ipconfig /all on the PC shows that the default gateway is 192.168.1.154, and that the DNS servers are 89.101.160.4/5. So it seems like the PC is getting the settings correctly.

But I can't ping any sites or external IP addresses from the PC. I've tried setting OpenDNS in both my PC settings and on the router, but I still can't ping from the PC.

Any ideas?

Eoin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

Change the Linksys Gateway and IP range from 192.168.1.xxx to 192.168.2.xxx.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eoinoc333

I thought this would be my redemption, but to no avail.

Router is now 192.168.2.254 and PC is automatically getting 192.168.2.100. The PC seems to be still picking up the Chorus DNS settings.

However, issue has not changed, still can't connect from PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

eoinoc333 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I hope I'm posting in the right place.

Yep you've got the right forum.
    Username! wrote: »
    Change the Linksys Gateway and IP range from 192.168.1.xxx to 192.168.2.xxx.

And why would this help?
    I thought this would be my redemption, but to no avail.

Router is now 192.168.2.254 and PC is automatically getting 192.168.2.100. The PC seems to be still picking up the Chorus DNS settings.

However, issue has not changed, still can't connect from PC.

Ok so you can connect to the Linksys router ok yeah? You should be able to ping your router i.e. 192.168.2.254 if that works ok you can get as far as your router. If that's ok try and ping boards.ie via IP address and see what it says the IP is 89.234.66.107

In your network settings in Windows make sure you're getting your DNS and IP settings via DHCP. Post up the output of the ipconfig /all command here too.

rmacm wrote: »
    And why would this help?
    IP conflicts of course.

Hi rmacm.

Yes, I can ping the Linksys from my PC no problem (ping 192.168.2.254). I can also access the Linksys browser-based admin.

From the Linksys admin page, I can ping 89.234.66.107 without a problem. However, when pinging from the PC which is plugged in to that router, I get no reply.

I've double-checked the TCP/IP settings in Windows, and I'm getting both IP and DNS automatically.

Here is output of ipconfig /all. (Typed in as it's on another computer.)
    DNS Suffix Search List: chello.ie
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix: chello.ie
    Dhcp Enabled: Yes
    IP Address: 192.168.2.100
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.2.254
    DHCP Server: 192.168.2.254
    DNS Servers: 89.101.160.4 and 89.101.160.5

• Advertisement

Sounds like it may be the Firewall on the Linksys itself, have you tried disabling it (since the Chorus modem already has one).

Username! wrote: »
    IP conflicts of course.

Perhaps you should explain what you mean? Where could he have a conflict of IP addresses? If his routers IP address was 192.168.1.254/24 and his laptop was 192.168.1.100/24 then I don't see how moving both devices into a different subnet would work.
    Hi rmacm.

Yes, I can ping the Linksys from my PC no problem (ping 192.168.2.254). I can also access the Linksys browser-based admin.

From the Linksys admin page, I can ping 89.234.66.107 without a problem. However, when pinging from the PC which is plugged in to that router, I get no reply.

I've double-checked the TCP/IP settings in Windows, and I'm getting both IP and DNS automatically.

Here is output of ipconfig /all. (Typed in as it's on another computer.)
    DNS Suffix Search List: chello.ie
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix: chello.ie
    Dhcp Enabled: Yes
    IP Address: 192.168.2.100
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.2.254
    DHCP Server: 192.168.2.254
    DNS Servers: 89.101.160.4 and 89.101.160.5

Hmmm that looks ok to me, if you can wait I'll check what the settings are on my setup when I get home. I'm on Chorus/NTL too so it should be pretty similar. Do you have any firewall software that could be blocking your connection like Norton Internet Security? If you do try disabling it and see if you can get access to the web.

Problem solved.

Username and rmacm, thanks to you both for helping me tracking it down to the router.

It got me playing around with the router settings. There's not much of a firewall configuration, but it turns out I had set the mode to "Router" to work with my Smart setup. However, I needed to change it to "Gateway".

Now the connection works perfectly. Thanks.

Eoin

Problem solved.

Username and rmacm, thanks to you both for helping me tracking it down to the router.

It got me playing around with the router settings. There's not much of a firewall configuration, but it turns out I had set the mode to "Router" to work with my Smart setup. However, I needed to change it to "Gateway".

Now the connection works perfectly. Thanks.

Eoin

Good to know you got it solved, yeah the firewall config on those Linksys routers tends be just a checkbox that lets you enable/disable the thing even on the non standard firmwares like DD-WRT.

Advertisement