Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An Idea..(The Great Soccer Forum Write Off)

• 28-11-2008 11:10am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

While thinking about how we can encourage more 'substantial content' on the forum I came up with an Ideal I said I would run by the forum and see if it has legs.It may be a crap idea but I think its worth a go if we have the interest.

We seem to have a few very good contributers who like to go into things in detail,these are the posts that make the forum what it is IMO.So what I was thinking is a little competition were 10 people volunteer to wright a article on any soccer subject say between 500 and 750 words,it could be about anything from your first game to the effect Cantana had on Utd.

Ideally if we could get ten to enter we could do a poll and let the forum decide who wins,another option is for the pieces to go up anonymously (via PM to me) and the identities are only reviled once the vote is over.

So what do you lot think...?I don't have it fully planed out yet I am basically thinking out loud.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Great idea

+ a million

+1 for anonymous pieces with the author revealed after the comp.

+1.

I'll do one. I need to practice the writing skills anyway!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Ok Neil I will put you down as one.

Me too obv, and I'd say Xavi will want in too.

He's a journo.

I hope he comes tenth out of the ten :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

sound fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I'm in.

Ok Des I have you down as well,I will leave a few spaces for all the posters who were nominate in the Best posters of the year Poll.

eZe^ wrote: »
    I'm in.

Look forward to reading that.

I'm not sure what i'll write it on yet but I'll try and make it something that'll be fun to write. I may not even write about United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

I'd like to try it, even though it would probably turn into a rant

I'm going to write about something no-one would expect.

"The Reason Why Barstoolers Are Ruining The Game In Ireland"

:pac::pac::pac::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Sure I'll have a go :cool:

Ok so far we have.

Neil1984
    Des
    eZe^
    Benedict XVI
    Green Giant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

ill write something too next week if i have time. im no sports journo, but i am a video games one so i can kinda write

Its seems like a popular idea,I am just thinking out loud here again here...but if we could get 20 how about have two groups of ten with the winner from both polls playing off against each other for the title (we don't have a name for this yet any ideas).

I would not like to leave anybody out who would like to have a go,within reason so I would say 20 max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Neil if it's anonymous (which I think it should be), we should both do something completely different to what people would expect. You could do something on the Madrid vs Barcelona derby, and I could talk about Scholes' hair or something. That way we could fool the boards soccer community. :pac:

Or is this all an elaborate plan where I'm actually just trying to get ye all paranoid? You decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'd be up for it yeah.

I think maybe it should be stipulated that you can't write on your favourite club, make people think outside the box. Anyone can bang out a 500 word rant on how good/bad their team is.

eZe^ wrote: »
    Neil if it's anonymous (which I think it should be), we should both do something completely different to what people would expect. You could do something on the Madrid vs Barcelona derby, and I could talk about Scholes' hair or something. That way we could fool the boards soccer community. :pac:

Or is this all an elaborate plan where I'm actually just trying to get ye all paranoid? You decide.

LOLs

Scholes hair is the source of all his magic, it's a little known fact! :D

anonymous would be the best way, that way it's judged on the article not the poster. Unfortunately it won't be too hard to figure out who's who.

Dub13 are you looking for opinion articles or educational articles?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I'd be up for it yeah.

I think maybe it should be stipulated that you can't write on your favourite club, make people think outside the box. Anyone can bang out a 500 word rant on how good/bad their team is.

I'd agree. It might be more interesting for the posters to have to go outside the comfort zone. Also it'd help anonymity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

any closing date for this?

Dub13 are you looking for opinion articles or educational articles?

No rules on this as such once its interesting.

By the way is everybody happy with 500 words..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Dub13 wrote: »
    a little competition were 10 people volunteer to wright a article on any soccer subject say max 500 words

Good idea I guess, but only if you like essay type stuff and I loathe it! I love ranting about football, but that's not enough for me to want to do it! I'll definitely read the entries though!

any closing date for this?

When we get the 10 or 20 I will gave the lads a few days to get there piece together.

No rules on this as such once its interesting.

Between 500 and 750?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

I would like to have a go :eek:

but if we could get 20 how about have two groups of ten with the winner from both polls playing off against each other for the title .
    Yep
    (we don't have a name for this yet any ideas).
    The Great Soccer Forum Write Off.

Well, say between 500-700 words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

How about the posts are sent to a mod who will then post them up unattributed. That way it can be a little bit more down to the post rather than the poster (as per Des' suggestion).

Between 500 and 750?

Yea that sounds good,its not forcing anybody to do the 750.I will edit the OP now.

(as per Des' suggestion).

It was Dub13's suggestion

How about "Writing the wrongs" :)

• Advertisement

How about the posts are sent to a mod who will then post them up unattributed. That way it can be a little bit more down to the post rather than the poster (as per Des' suggestion).

Yea thats what I was thinking,have one big thread and Poll with Article A,B,C etc etc.

Des wrote: »
    It was Dub13's suggestion

I don't read well hung over.

Could we do it like that Premiership Draft thingy.

One thread for the articles, one thread for the discussion of same.

Good stuff Dub13. This forum needs these kinds of things. i think once again we have another idea which will really improve the forum. Fair play.

T4TF, I think that's the best way. Can't be havin cronies from other forums gettin in on the voting for their mates without reading the articles! :D

Plus, we can't vote right!?

I don't read well hung over.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Have a thread for each anonyomous (for a while) article so that it can be picked apart / discussed without any possible bias towards author.

• Advertisement

Not sure how we could stop people voting. If it was an open poll then we could all see what was being voted for and by whom but then may influence the votes (I am sure it wouldn't, we are an honest bunch) or have it as private. Should not matter really, if everybody voted for their own on a private poll then everyone would have one vote and we would go on from there.

Just a thought -

If the standard of articles is good then it will be tough to pick one from ten. Should the groups be smaller, i.e. 4 groups of 5?

cronies

:D:D:D

SofaK wrote: »
    Have a thread for each anonyomous (for a while) article so that it can be picked apart / discussed without any possible bias towards author.
    Would be a bit unfair in some ways, people may not like the subject and so go on a rant on it or even not like the people who have supported it and try to take it down.

Just a thought -

If the standard of articles is good then it will be tough to pick one from ten. Should the groups be smaller, i.e. 4 groups of 5?

Would that not drag out a bit...?maybe the top 2 from the two groups of 10 go through which would leave a final with only 4 top notch articles.

• Advertisement

Would that not drag out a bit...?maybe the top 2 from the two groups of 10 go through which would leave a final with only 4 top notch articles.

It may do yeah.

I just expect the standard to be very high and it being difficult to single out from 10 articles.

It may do yeah.

I just expect the standard to be very high and it being difficult to single out from 10 articles.

You have seriously high expectations dude.

The Great Soccer Forum Write Off (thanks Des)

In so far...

Neil1984
    Des
    eZe^
    Benedict XVI
    Green Giant
    Xavi6
    ROCKMAN

If we get 20 is everybody happy with the top two from each group going through to the 'Grand Final..'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

I'm a relative noob, but i will do one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I'd be interested in this, stick me down please.

Great idea.

Iago wrote: »
    I'd be interested in this, stick me down please.

Great idea.

Can't wait to read yours :)

Neil1984
    Des
    eZe^
    Benedict XVI
    Green Giant
    Xavi6
    ROCKMAN
    only1stevo
    Iago
    Bubs101

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Des wrote: »
    Can't wait to read yours :)

Great, under pressure already!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I'll be studying next week so will want any distraction. Count me in.

Also, PM Jackdaw

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I'll be studying next week so will want any distraction. Count me in.

I will stick you down.

• Advertisement
Advertisement