Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An Idea..(The Great Soccer Forum Write Off)

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm just glad my article got more than 0 votes.

Are the authors of each article going to be revealed after voting finishes? I think they should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Congratulations to all involved, I was really impressed at the overall standard! :D
    [/repetition]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

With the extremely mixed views on which group has better standards, the final should be very interesting indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I really enjoyed the CM article, there's so many other names you could add to the list!

Great idea Dub13, if I didn't already have so much college work to be doing I'd like to have given it a go, maybe next time if there's a plan to do it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Is there going to be another group?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

5starpool wrote: »
    Are the authors of each article going to be revealed after voting finishes? I think they should be.

Yes when the both polls close I will post up the names of all authors.

GuanYin wrote: »
    With the extremely mixed views on which group has better standards, the final should be very interesting indeed.

Yes the final should be good.
    Is there going to be another group?

The 4 finalist's will do another story,1000 words max and we will have a final group.

Dub13 wrote: »
    The 4 finalist's will do another story,1000 words max and we will have a final group.
    Cheers. Was hoping I hadn't missed the deadline, only noticed this today.

Cheers. Was hoping I hadn't missed the deadline, only noticed this today.

I think you misunderstood my post (sorry I have a few beers taken),the competition is closed and we will have another group with the two winners from each group.

I think you misunderstood my post (sorry I have a few beers taken),the competition is closed and we will have another group with the two winners from each group.
    Sorry, I did understand- just left out a smiley :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Massive apologies guys, real life got the better of me again this week.

I was really looking forward to this too.
    :(

Anyway ill have a read at the article from the people who managed to keep their promise tomorrow, but well done you guys for actually managing to do it.

Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

got another vote woo-hoo

Group one now closed,and it was a tie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

So what happens now?

I <3 GuanYin wrote: »
    So what happens now?

I am going to reveal the identity's of the author's now,the the 4 winners will have a week or so to do up another article.

Group one

Iago Article 1
    PHB Article 2
    Bounty Hunter Article 3
    ~Rebel~ Article 4
    Neil1984 Article 5 Qualified
    bigstar Article 6
    Xavi6 Article 7 Qualified

Group Two

Hobart Article 8
    5starpool Article 9
    GuanYin Article 10 Qualified
    Des Article 11
    thusspakeblixa Article 12 Qualified
    Green Giant Article 13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Well done Neil, GY, I <3 GY and thusspakeblixa

Excellent pieces.

PM sent to the winners,we should have the final up by next weekend as I want to get this wrapped up by Xmas.

• Advertisement

ziggy wrote: »

New articles.

Is there any reason why it's new articles and not the ones that were good enough to get to the final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

If it was the same ones, having the two 2nds from the first rounds go through might be a bit pointless (although I know there was a draw...).

Is there any reason why it's new articles and not the ones that were good enough to get to the final?

I am just going by what was agreed,Given the time of year I would be open to this.I will PM the 4 finalists and if they are up for using the same article's I will go ahead with them.

We are going to use the same article's,I will do a thread up now.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

FFS, stupid decision. The whole purpose of this thing was to encourage more substantial content. Two of the finalists have already been beaten so it makes no sense to run them again.

Is this going to be a weekly/monthly thing or is it a one-off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Hmmm a shock there with the authors for me. *cough* Neil *cough* ;)

As I said before I though group 1 was a higher standard than Group 2 aside from one article.
    Gone with my group one pick for the final though.

FFS, stupid decision. The whole purpose of this thing was to encourage more substantial content. Two of the finalists have already been beaten so it makes no sense to run them again.

I think we ran it to late in the year,most people will be way to busy this time of year to commit to a 1000 word article.I think all we can do is learn from this and next time have the full detail's worked out before we get going,all you need to do is read over this thread and you will see it was just put together as we went along.

In saying that I think most people will agree its a good idea and has 'legs' so we can just learn from this inaugural event.
    Is this going to be a weekly/monthly thing or is it a one-off?

I would think a yearly thing would be about right,anything more frequent would be overkill IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

For a football fan, that's a pretty absurd statement :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

PHB wrote: »
    For a football fan, that's a pretty absurd statement :)

In football, generally, the teams are required to play a further game in the final rather than sit down and wait while the crowd watches DVDs of the group stages. ;)

I just don't understand why there's such a mad rush to finish this off before the end of the calendar year. Why not run the final in January?

Personally I think once a year is too infrequent for something like this. There is clearly a lot of interest from those that weren't directly involved. The amount of votes would give a clear indication of that.

I also think that the next round will see more people interested in contributing. I'd put forward the idea of running the competition quarterly and going from there.

With regard to the issue of the same articles in the final, I think it would be unfair, and also quite difficult, to force those involved to research and write up a 1000 word article two weeks after they've just done one.

Personally I think once a year is too infrequent for something like this.

I also think that the next round will see more people interested in contributing. I'd put forward the idea of running the competition quarterly and going from there.
    I'd agree with ya there
    +1 for it being more regular

Here is an idea and again I am just thinking out loud.How about having one quarterly with the 4 winners going up against each other to come up with the winner for that year..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Here is an idea and again I am just thinking out loud.How about having one quarterly with the 4 winners going up against each other to come up with the winner for that year..?

I like it.

But, the four finalists would have to do a different peice.

Des wrote: »
    But, the four finalists would have to do a different peice.

Yes I think thats fair,it would also give you an initiative to win the first one as you would have longer to prepare for the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Yes I think thats fair,it would also give you an initiative to win the first one as you would have longer to prepare for the final.

What if the same person wins more than 1? We could have all 4 pieces from the same contributor...I like it.

Either way I'm definitely interested in having another go, maybe next time my PC won't crash/I'll backup my work and not have to do a rush job at the last minute!

I'd also agree with Xavis assessment, I think we'll have a lot more contributors next time around.

Iago wrote: »
    What if the same person wins more than 1? We could have all 4 pieces from the same contributor...I like it.

If you win a place in the final you will not be allowed to enter again as you already have a spot in the final,so this will not be a problem.

That's a great idea.
    You could do Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter finals, with the winners going through to the "grand final" in December

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Hah! Looks like Viera agrees with me :)
    Patrick Vieira believes Arsenal must address their lack of midfield bite if they are to challenge for honours.

The former Gunners favourite, now at Inter Milan, admits to being impressed by the club's free-flowing style when in possession, but feels they are often found wanting when put on the back foot.

With the days when he helped the club claim silverware on a regular basis long gone, the Frenchman concedes that the modern Arsenal are suffering the consequences of not possessing enough steel in vital areas.

of course a blind man could point out the same thing, but I'll take the little victories where I can get them.

I dont believe it we have a draw....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I didn't vote, I could have swung it had I logged on before tonight :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

I dont believe it we have a draw....

Casting vote either to yourself or the soccer mods?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Bateman wrote: »
    I didn't vote, I could have swung it had I logged on before tonight :p

+1 but i dont know if i'd have voted for GuanYin or thusspakeblixa!

Heh...
    What happens now? :confused:

What do you lot think about opening the poll for a couple more days..?its the only fair way I can think of to come up with a winner.

I don't mind anyway

Jesus I hadnt looked at that in days. Last time I checked I was coming last!

• Advertisement

Ok I will open the voting for another 48 hours.

Advertisement