Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in the North - Unpatriotic or what?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Isn't the North part of Ireland too? F*ck Coughlan and Lenihan - clowns. We can spend are money where we want. Maybe it's time for the retail sector in Ireland to get 'patriotic' and start slashing prices if they are so worried about a bad christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Funny. At the moment the poll is 119 for and 6 against, yet none of the 6 have the neck to show their name in a post.
    Closet patriots me arse. :rolleyes:

I'm off up North shopping tomorrow and feck the begrudges.:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Funny. At the moment the poll is 119 for and 6 against, yet none of the 6 have the neck to show their name in a post.
    Closet patriots me arse. :rolleyes:

I'm off up North shopping tomorrow and feck the begrudges.:p

I voted no!

All my shopping needs are fulfilled by Crazy Prices in Ballybrack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I voted no!

All my shopping needs are fulfilled by Crazy Prices in Ballybrack.

You mean Tesco, the British retailing giant? Very patriotic indeed ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭daithi666

On the contrary, shopping at Tesco's would probably be more patriotic than shopping in Dunnes Stores as Tesco's give to the Irish economy more than they take away as a result of the quantity of Irish produce they sell here and abroad. Certainly, it would be unpatriotic to shop in M&S who have made no effort to make a contribution to Irish producers. Their produce invariably advertises British production.

Shopping in the North of Ireland is patriotic. We are a united economy in many ways. It supports the cause in my opinion. Also, saying it is not patriotic to shop prudently is an abuse of the term. Many died for our independence and to belittle their effort to peoples' choice to buy some groceries where they choose is below the belt in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭MacBuster

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Cop yourself on and less of the insults. I am offended by your comments on Laois people.

Get over yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Enjoy your free run to Belfast now. Careful now. :)

RobBrn wrote: »
    You got it nearly right

It's OK for Dundalk people to go and get some bargains but no way is it OK for anyone else

Buying hundreds of litres of booze is disgusting, blocking a motorway for the rest of us is quite frankly moronic, how would you like your roads in your area besieged by lager louts who are drawn to NI for booze like flies around crap.

Again some of us work around there, some of us have to get to and from home, hospitals etc but we are being delayed up to 2.5 hrs because of greed ridden gurriers...Again as I pointed out not looking for food,clothes even toys just for an item that helps cause countless types of misery by its over consumption...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 RobBrn

MacBuster wrote: »
    Buying hundreds of litres of booze is disgusting, blocking a motorway for the rest of us is quite frankly moronic, how would you like your roads in your area besieged by lager louts who are drawn to NI for booze like flies around crap.

Again some of us work around there, some of us have to get to and from home, hospitals etc but we are being delayed up to 2.5 hrs because of greed ridden gurriers...Again as I pointed out not looking for food,clothes even toys just for an item that helps cause countless types of misery by its over consumption...

It's you who needs to get over yourself.

Good girl toddle on now obviously you are pro greed and obvious have a grudge against people from Dundalk... Now unless you have an informed educated opinion go away :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭SMERSH

Good girl toddle on now obviously you are pro greed and obvious have a grudge against people from Dundalk... Now unless you have an informed educated opinion go away :D
    If you like going to the North so much, why don't you simply move there?

I sure hope you are paying your national insurance before using any NHS hospitals.

It is a free market. If you don't like people travelling to Newry for beer etc, move to North Korea. You won't have any trouble with beer swilling ignorants blocking your roads. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I was in Marks and Spencers today in Blanchardstown. Every single piece of clothing has the sterling price marked out by black marker. Absolute madness. Government shouldn't guilt trip people to buy in the south. Maybe the government should fix the problem rather than complain about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Lplated

greed ridden gurriers...

This is a level, right??

There is somewhere between 30 and 40% of a price difference on ordinary household products, i.e. your weekly shopping as between North and South (The National Consumer Agency's figures, not mine). There is much more if you look for specific goods, in particular alcohol and electronic type stuff (my own experience).

The fact that we want to spend our euros to get the maximum value for them, particularly in a recession, makes us 'greed ridden gurriers' ?

Gotta be a level, or some guy who bought too much booze at those low prices and decided to open it before Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Cop yourself on and less of the insults. I am offended by your comments on Laois people.

he didnt make a comment about laois people in general, he specifically made a comment about laois knackers in tracksuits

theyre the only laois people hes talking about

he didnt say that was all laois people or even suggest if he thought it was more than 2 or 3 in total

still tho, dont let that get in the way of a rant

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Wudyaquit

One thing people should bear in mind with this is that the price differences aren't entirely down to greed. There are plenty of companies going out of business in the border regions due to people crossing over to the north for their shopping.
    Having employees stuck to higher wages scales as a lead-on from the boom is hard to reverse. Also, higher levels of VAT, and distributors refusing to pass on savings made by the exchange rate mean smaller shops in the Republic simply can't afford to charge the same prices as those a few miles over the border.
    While I accept that in the long run, going to the larger stores in the North will help equalise prices, entirely ignoring smaller business in the Republic will undoubtedly mean more border region companies going bust. Currently many are threading water - if they could stimulate business by lowering prices to Northern levels they would, but it's simply not always possible.
    I'm not going to shop in the South regardless of price, but if the difference isn't massive I'm not going to purposely go to the North as a f*** you to the Irish government - it's not them who'll feel the brunt of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Loads of nay sayers voting now it appears. Dundalk shop owners. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I get delayed a few times every week by the mammies doing the school run. If I needed to get to a hospital, should they all stay at home?

Welcome to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Bought a coat in Debenham's in Belfast today. Cost £85, which will work out at slightly above €100. The euro price was €135 :eek:.

I don't care if someone can come on here and explain every penny in the difference due to VAT etc if I can save that type of money by shopping up north then I will. Unfortunately sainsbury in sprucefield was closed by the time we got back that far :(

Slightly off topic but if you are paying by credit card and the retailers machine automatically converts the amount top euro ask to be billed in sterling. The rate the retailer uses is often as much as 5% worse than your card provider, well it is with my credit card (PTSB Ice Visa)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

I voted no. Retail is going too suffer, and the goverment won't do anything about it. More job losses for us in retail, and for some reason, I really cannot see prices falling too match the levels of them up North, in fact I would say prices will rocket up for the company's too come in even. It will have a bad effect on the people who cannot go up North. I would say, January 2009, we will see what retail will offer.

The fact of the matter, something has too be done. One of the larger retail giants like Tesco, Dunnes, Argos etc.. Should start leading the way in the price dropping.

As I said in a previous post, Its YOUR MONEY, Go up North, just spare a though for us in retail and happy bargain hunting ! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

Familial,adj: Characteristic of or relating to a family or its members.

Filial,adj: of or befitting a son or daughter, especially in his or her relationship to a parent.

Two words that beat patriotism at all times.

By all means support your country but family comes first. To me thats all that matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

well while Iw as up north I picked up on some awesome deals and saved over 200euro on alcohol alone! Thats me stocked up till the new year! sweet!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

We're already getting hit in the pocket left right and centre thanks to the short sightedness of the government- with another 23% on VHI due on the first of January. Its simply madness trying to live in this country on the wages they pay us. To try to guilt people into paying even more for goods is moronic. Mind you- going to a shop and spending 2 grand on beer- is also moronic- regardless of what price you got it at..........

We have this argument cyclically- if its not Christmas- its the fireworks factory at Jonesborough, or the farmers market at Armagh.

It doesn't take much extra traffic to clog up the M1/A1- particularly with the road works this side of Newry- so its not really fair to lambast everyone for simply using the road- I or indeed anyone else, has the same rights to use the road as anyone else.

It is moronic to take the opportunity of lower prices to pickle your liver with cheap alcohol though.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

There are quite a few posts on here about people buying tons of booze and how ' disgusting ' it is.

Well I lived in England until 2001 , we used to visit France shopping for booze ( mainly ) about 2-3 times a year. We stocked up , no doubt our trolleys ( yes more than one ) looked ' disgusting ' but that booze was not drunk in one week or even month, it lasted a long time.... for the record I used to buy about 20-25 cases of beer and 4-5 cases of wine.

I was up in the north last week, it was very similar.

However the big difference is when the same shops are charging much less up there , for example Clarks shoes for kids about 40% cheaper !... how can that be ?

Now I realise that the costs for retailers are higher here , well they need to start to take action an reduce those costs, refuse to pay the rents that the shopping centres are demanding ( they will drop becuase any rent is better than none ) , kick their insurance companies , why aren't the costs coming down from them , reduce their overheads etc.

I don't think the overheads are the main reason the prices are so high in the Republic, I think it's ' what the market will pay ', well the market has changed somewhat !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Niska

msg11 wrote: »
    The fact of the matter, something has too be done. One of the larger retail giants like Tesco, Dunnes, Argos etc.. Should start leading the way in the price dropping.

This may be starting to happen. Picked up some "stuff" in Tesco yesterday (in Limerick) and in the discounts section of the receipt was an item "10% Sterling Discount".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Niska wrote: »
    This may be starting to happen. Picked up some "stuff" in Tesco yesterday (in Limerick) and in the discounts section of the receipt was an item "10% Sterling Discount".

What on earth does this mean?
    Could you clarify please.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

What on earth does this mean?
    Could you clarify please.

Been happening quite a lot recently in Tesco's if you buy household/clothes the ticket price is reduced at the till by about 10% , and they call it sterling discount.

For once , fair play to Tesco's

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

I dont see why people are getting their knickers in a twist about some of us going to the north. For the last five years at least people have been going to New York shopping in their droves. Every person who goes to Spain,France,Italy etc. comes back with a pile of drink and cigarettes. We in the south have been fleeced wiyh taxes of every kind in the last few years.This country has become one of the most expensive and miserable places to live in. The governments who ran this country so far have been a pack of cowboys living in their own lala land. Now the people are letting them know how they feel. Rant over! Shop on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Davidth88 wrote: »
    kick their insurance companies , why aren't the costs coming down from them

Commercial insurance rates have come down by between 40 & 60% since 2003. Insurance companies in Ireland are not making a profit on the policies they are writing now, they are relying on balance sheet releases to support profits. Most companies have pretty aggressive rate increases budgeted for 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

There is a bit of exagerating going on here.
    Whilst in Asda (kennedy way) I did not see anybody with 12 trollies. Actually most people were like myself, with a trolly each. We spent £540 between the three of us. Am sure there are people buying drink for resale, but they are the exception.

Next time I go up I will make sure not to wear a tracksuit though. Having said that; I don't own a tracksuit.
    I didn't buy in Tesco or any other store that has a ROI shops, so that makes me Okay for those who give out about lining the pockets of the ones that are robbing us down here.

Boo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

boopolo wrote: »
    Next time I go up I will make sure not to wear a tracksuit though. Having said that; I don't own a tracksuit.

I heard the tracksuits in the north are a lot cheaper ;) With the amount of shopping I plan do doing in the north I'll need a tracksuit and some hiking boots :D

Advertisement