Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do so many people on this site worry about who's 'Cool'?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭NotInventedHere

You know what else is not "cool". Dublin or the whole of Ireland for that matter has no sound of it's own ala Chichago house, Berlin Techno etc. The worst is just sucked in and spit out .... badly. We dont support our own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

pallepille wrote: »
    hip house ?????
    ah kinda,but the drums are a bit more frantic in baltimore house,its all **** anyway so i guess we can lump it all together

You know what else is not "cool". Dublin or the whole of Ireland for that matter has no sound of it's own ala Chichago house, Berlin Techno etc. The worst is just sucked in and spit out .... badly. We dont support our own.
    i make dundalk house,trying hard to put the town back on the map:D

seannash wrote: »
    i make dundalk house,trying hard to put the town back on the map:D

:D Kudos to you.

:D Kudos to you.
    **** the kudos go buy my tracks,support the dundalk house scene:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

YES!

Yes. Now there's a point.

Some unbelievable stuff on D1. I was in london recently and almost their full catalogue was in one of the shops. Here, we look at "Kompakt" and such, but D1 is a really strong label, in its own right.

And people don't seem to go out as much any more. Thats not cool.

And Cork had a deep house sound, Waterford had a techno sound, etc, but now its all very same-y, everywhere, if you ask me.

YES!

Some unbelievable stuff on D1. I was in london recently and almost their full catalogue was in one of the shops. Here, we look at "Kompakt" and such, but D1 is a really strong label, in its own right.

And Cork had a deep house sound, Waterford had a techno sound, etc, but now its all very same-y, everywhere, if you ask me.
    whats d1,a label?there not selling on beatport as far as i can see

YES!

what techno sound is coming from waterford?the only deep house sound i can think of from cork is fish go deep.would like to hear more about this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭pallepille

You know what else is not cool. Dublin or the whole of Ireland for that matter has no sound of it's own ala Chichago house, Berlin Techno etc. The worst is just sucked in and spit out .... badly. We dont support our own.

Well ill tell ya a little story about just that, recently enough i was prickin around on the internet with a mate of mine, Now he is into some of the most ridiculous music (thats even if you class it as that some of it) ive ever heard, basically some weird strain of breakcore that to me some of it actually just sounds like exactly that, a soundtrack to the vandalism of electrical appliances is the closest comparison i could make for some of it. Anyway he was showing me a few myspaces of a few of the aritists that are making some of that stuff. So when he went off talkin on phone i dug a little deeper (u know checkin friends of friends of friends) anyway there is actually these guys in longford or offaly or sumwhere along those lines i cant reember exactly where, and they make BOGCORE, so there you have it, completely homegrown genre, but would you like to hear it hahaha. Who knows maybe the next WMC in miami will have a bogcore showcase haha.

• Advertisement

what techno sound is coming from waterford?the only deep house sound i can think of from cork is fish go deep.would like to hear more about this

No, i'm talking a few years ago, Waterford was very techno-oriented, with the forum, metroland, etc... Cork, then, would have been very Deep House oriented, traditionally, with many many deep house dj's and a huge crowd-base.

Now, I don't know what the hell is going on any more. There's no specific crowds in Cork, any more. Waterford techno seems to have fallen by the wayside too. Dublin's still going strong, but how it looks in the smaller cities, it's gonna affect Dublin next.

I know the eclectic aspect is a good thing, but the specific "sound" is gone now.

D1 is a label, yeah. Really good, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

jonny68 wrote: »
    Well i personally could never be described as a "bandwagon jumper" for example i know of hardly anyone else on here or indeed in Dublin who is into Hardcore Breaks (or indeed has even heard of this scene which is very underground) just one example.;)

there's an excellent reason for that IMO

Would have to strongly disagree... granted, 90% of Irish techno is straight up Detroit copycattism, and give or take the likes of Greg and Shane we have no house music producers of note, but Drum and Bass wise there is most defintely an Irish sound, and it's pretty much fundamentally at odds with the dominant UK and European sounds... No silly fairground sounds in Irish dnb, and no angry robot bull**** either...
    I'll begin, B'more is crap and definately not cool.

It's both IMO - all these post-house urban dance genres are a million and one time more exciting than anything that's come out of the mainstream house-trance-techno axis in decades...

Would have to strongly disagree... granted, 90% of Irish techno is straight up Detroit copycattism, and give or take the likes of Greg and Shane we have no house music producers of note, but Drum and Bass wise there is most defintely an Irish sound, and it's pretty much fundamentally at odds with the dominant UK and European sounds... No silly fairground sounds in Irish dnb, and no angry robot bull**** either...

It's both IMO - all these post-house urban dance genres are a million and one time more exciting than anything that's come out of the mainstream house-trance-techno axis in decades...

PM me with links and I'll give it a listen

i agree with all except the baltimore house,it feels like a step back to me,its like an american manafactured sound to try and get more maintream appeal for house music by adding the hip hop element to it.
    ad for d1,ive never heard of them and even if they are a great label(im sure there good) you aint doing nothing if your not selling on beatport imo
    johnny funky house is one of the biggest bandwagons to be on:D:D

OK the subtle audio lads are doing something pretty unique alright...you'd certainly be better educated than I would, on this issue.

But as for there being no good house producers, I know loads... Real quality stuff. The words you used were "of note". It's because nobody's being supported, really. Its not noteworthy if its sitting on myspace, never really making it further.

Sourcecode, Timmy & Tommy, Chymera, Splitloop, Dancepig

• Advertisement

i agree with all except the baltimore house,it feels like a step back to me,its like an american manafactured sound to try and get more maintream appeal for house music by adding the hip hop element to it.
    ad for d1,ive never heard of them and even if they are a great label(im sure there good) you aint doing nothing if your not selling on beatport imo
    johnny funky house is one of the biggest bandwagons to be on:D:D

Gotta disagree sean, sorry....Bunker, and D1, two labels I buy a lot of, are not on beatport, and long may it continue.

Beatport is like myspace, IMO; a lot of rubbish, and a few needles in the haystack; I'd hate to have people "Consume" the music on these labels, and "have it" but never "listen to it"

I've buddies with thousands of beatport-acquired files, never listened to...what a shame....

OK the subtle audio lads are doing something pretty unique alright...you'd certainly be better educated than I would, on this issue.

But as for there being no good house producers, I know loads... Real quality stuff. The words you used were "of note". It's because nobody's being supported, really. Its not noteworthy if its sitting on myspace, never really making it further.
    but theres really no need for support,its all down to the individual to contact the labels with there tracks and get them released if there good enough,doesnt matter how much support they have,if the tracks dont get signed its a bit pointless

Sourcecode, Timmy & Tommy, Chymera, Splitloop, Dancepig

And of them, who's playing busy gigs regularly, and selling records regularly? Not saying you're wrong, just that I think the Irish electronic scene really pushes very little onto the world stage, considering the talent...

Gotta disagree sean, sorry....Bunker, and D1, two labels I buy a lot of, are not on beatport, and long may it continue.

Beatport is like myspace, IMO; a lot of rubbish, and a few needles in the haystack; I'd hate to have people "Consume" the music on these labels, and "have it" but never "listen to it"

I've buddies with thousands of beatport-acquired files, never listened to...what a shame....
    hmm definitely not the way it works though,if there not on there there not exposed to a huge market,whether you like the labels on there its the bigest seller so if they knew what they were at they would have gotten on there.
    im not saying there not good just that they need to be on these sites

but theres really no need for support,its all down to the individual to contact the labels with there tracks and get them released if there good enough,doesnt matter how much support they have,if the tracks dont get signed its a bit pointless

Chicken and egg scenario, I guess, yeah.

• Advertisement

im gonna say it and you can bookmark this but our very own jtsuited(kid handsome) is going to be the next big irish thing,lads incredibly talented

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

im gonna say it and you can bookmark this but our very own jtsuited(kid handsome) is going to be the next big irish thing,lads incredibly talented
    Yeah from what I've heard I'd definitely agree with that.....although he's neither a kid nor handsome!! :pac:

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Yeah from what I've heard I'd definitely agree with that.....although he's neither a kid nor handsome!! :pac:
    ha ha ha,ill pass no comment,im no burt reynolds myself.
    but yeah some great stuff coming from him these days

And of them, who's playing busy gigs regularly, and selling records regularly? Not saying you're wrong, just that I think the Irish electronic scene really pushes very little onto the world stage, considering the talent...

Sourcecode bi monthly residency in tripod last time i checked, loads of gigs around ireland regularly and some in europe far as i can remember. Timmy & Tommy same deal they have their own label aswell Full Tilt Recordings tink its called. In regards gigs for the rest im not too sure to be honest but they all have releases which have done well. There is also the likes of Hystereo (soma and kitsune), Japanese Popstars, Deadbots. And although it aint really my stylee you cant forget the trance possey - John O Callaghan (discover records amongst loads of others,also did the July Essential Mix),Bryan Kearney, John Gibbons (he even has residencies in Miami). All of these are gigging internationally and are signed to respected labels.Thats just off the top of my head im sure there are more, i do take your point though with the talent thats clearly there ireland could easily be more of a hub (for want of a better word)

Sourcecode bi monthly residency in tripod last time i checked, loads of gigs around ireland regularly and some in europe far as i can remember. Timmy & Tommy same deal they have their own label aswell Full Tilt Recordings tink its called. In regards gigs for the rest im not too sure to be honest but they all have releases which have done well. There is also the likes of Hystereo (soma and kitsune), Japanese Popstars, Deadbots. And although it aint really my stylee you cant forget the trance possey - John O Callaghan (discover records amongst loads of others,also did the July Essential Mix),Bryan Kearney, John Gibbons (he even has residencies in Miami). All of these are gigging internationally and are signed to respected labels.Thats just off the top of my head im sure there are more, i do take your point though with the talent thats clearly there ireland could easily be more of a hub (for want of a better word)
    i have honestly found that noone wants to connect with anyone.noone returns emails and they seem to have a bad attitude as regards building a connection with any other irish producer.this is a reason why ireland will never be a hub

i have honestly found that noone wants to connect with anyone.noone returns emails and they seem to have a bad attitude as regards building a connection with any other irish producer.this is a reason why ireland will never be a hub

i wonder will any reply to this hahaha........take your point though havent really experienced it myself, havent been makin tracks all that long tho so havent really been in that position myself (here's hoping haha). admiteddly did only find out bout some of them through goin to gigs etc (i did play with sourcecode a couple of times tho) and then lookin up the net thruogh what i learned in the club.

well im no pro either but i do have some releases on beatport and more remixes coming out.
    i contacted a few but it was only a simple thing like saying hey,i liked your tracks,fellow irish producer bla bla bla.and you can see on myspace when people read an email,but none reply.i mean if i had people telling me they liked my track id at least give them a thank you.
    but it seems that if people get any small bit of success then they get all up there own arses and dont want to bother with anyone who cant help them

well im no pro either but i do have some releases on beatport and more remixes coming out.
    i contacted a few but it was only a simple thing like saying hey,i liked your tracks,fellow irish producer bla bla bla.and you can see on myspace when people read an email,but none reply.i mean if i had people telling me they liked my track id at least give them a thank you.
    but it seems that if people get any small bit of success then they get all up there own arses and dont want to bother with anyone who cant help them

yeah it's al Fcuk you!!, I'm all right Jack

right i gets ya, altho imo myspace has actually got out of hand in a way (altho im blatantly in the middle of setting up me a new one for our new tracks haha). What I mean when I say that is that it seems to me at this stage to have nearly gotten to the stage of music spam if ya get me, its just a seemingly endless list of not even personalised msgs of new music and new releases being pushed into you face some of them without taste even like JUST FCUKIN LISTEN TO THIS NOW !!!! hahaha, dont get me wrong man i aint tryna justify ignorance or anythings like im not making excuses for any1 ya know but i get the feeling a lot of people aint bothering with a lot of things they get sent on myspace at this stage u know.

yeah it's al Fcuk you!!, I'm all right Jack
    i think thats why its the same djs on the scene around ireland for as long as i remember.they dont let anyone else in.its a close knit group.
    just doesnt make any sense to me:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Chymera and Splitloop are pretty big, Chymera had one of the top ten biggest tunes on beatport last year (or something - think it was a beatless mix of one his tunes that topped the ambient charts there anyway)

Calibre sells truckloads of records

Zero T is doing very well for himself

Calibre and Zero T are living full time off their music and dj-ing to packed clubs and festivals all over the world...

right i gets ya, altho imo myspace has actually got out of hand in a way (altho im blatantly in the middle of setting up me a new one for our new tracks haha). What I mean when I say that is that it seems to me at this stage to have nearly gotten to the stage of music spam if ya get me, its just a seemingly endless list of not even personalised msgs of new music and new releases being pushed into you face some of them without taste even like JUST FCUKIN LISTEN TO THIS NOW !!!! hahaha, dont get me wrong man i aint tryna justify ignorance or anythings like im not making excuses for any1 ya know but i get the feeling a lot of people aint bothering with a lot of things they get sent on myspace at this stage u know.
    well ive sent personal emails on myspace,not comments and they get read(it tells you if they read them)did it on bebo too,same thing no response.ive been contacted by a few people about production stuff and im always willing to chat about it and help out when i can.i had the god fortune of having someone help me out so i feel i should do the same for other people who are in a similar position to the one i was in

to be honest though if thats the sort of people they are i reaqlly dont want to have anything to do with them but it just baffles me how with such a small scene people can want it to be so closed off.
    ill give you a great example,i had a friend of mine stay with me for the summer.he mentioned that his friends had a track and were looking for remixes for it.he asked me would i help him do one.i said yep no problem.
    he was pretty busy with work so while i was waiting for him to have some free time i did my own.turned out okay actually.so i sent it to them and got no reply.
    meanwhile a label contacted me thinking it was an original track(which it was,i only used the vocal everything else was me)and wanted to sign it.so i contacted them 4 times asking them if they were gonna use it.they read all 4 and never replied to any of them.
    now that type of stuff drives me mental:D

well ive sent personal emails on myspace,not comments and they get read(it tells you if they read them)did it on bebo too,same thing no response.ive been contacted by a few people about production stuff and im always willing to chat about it and help out when i can.i had the god fortune of having someone help me out so i feel i should do the same for other people who are in a similar position to the one i was in

Too true man a bit of common decency aint too much to ask (within reason, as in you cud understand some of these people are fairly busy). Tell me this so what sorta stuff you makin yourself ????.Id like to catch a listen. ( who knows maybe ill b PMing you lookin for some pointers hahaha) but would you even reply hehehehe. Peace.........

to be honest though if thats the sort of people they are i reaqlly dont want to have anything to do with them but it just baffles me how with such a small scene people can want it to be so closed off.
    ill give you a great example,i had a friend of mine stay with me for the summer.he mentioned that his friends had a track and were looking for remixes for it.he asked me would i help him do one.i said yep no problem.
    he was pretty busy with work so while i was waiting for him to have some free time i did my own.turned out okay actually.so i sent it to them and got no reply.
    meanwhile a label contacted me thinking it was an original track(which it was,i only used the vocal everything else was me)and wanted to sign it.so i contacted them 4 times asking them if they were gonna use it.they read all 4 and never replied to any of them.
    now that type of stuff drives me mental:D

ged rid of that vocal sample, its yours, they had their chance

Too true man a bit of common decency aint too much to ask (within reason, as in you cud understand some of these people are fairly busy). Tell me this so what sorta stuff you makin yourself ????.Id like to catch a listen. ( who knows maybe ill b PMing you lookin for some pointers hahaha) but would you even reply hehehehe. Peace.........
    house across the board mainly

you can listen to most of my stuff on here

http://soundcloud.com/seannash

cant really ignore the pm now that ive given out about it ha ha ha:D

ged rid of that vocal sample, its yours, they had their chance
    yeah im gonna do that but i gotta go back and fix some stuff,learned alot of new stuff since that remix,its actually on that link i just posted

Well I've been proven wrong; it seems there's production talent from Ireland getting through alright, in many places!

In the Cork area, things have really imploded though, with only a hand-full of people going to gigs, in comparison with a few years back, when there were many many people listening to electronic music, but it's obviously a regional thing, this issue. I'd assumed it was country-wide.

Well I've been proven wrong; it seems there's production talent from Ireland getting through alright, in many places!

In the Cork area, things have really imploded though, with only a hand-full of people going to gigs, in comparison with a few years back, when there were many many people listening to electronic music, but it's obviously a regional thing, this issue. I'd assumed it was country-wide.

cant comment on cork really, my full knowledge extends to Fish Go Deep (very good producers) and Sir Henrys (that legendary place ive heard every corkonian ive ever met bang on about non stop)haha. So i aint qualified to comment on it.

• Advertisement

house across the board mainly

you can listen to most of my stuff on here

http://soundcloud.com/seannash

cant really ignore the pm now that ive given out about it ha ha ha:D

Thanks for that man, ill check it out over the weekend. Peace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

The scene in Dublin is fairly healthy at the moment. Some really top quality nights going on and most weekends you would have a choice of really decent stuff to go to.

There is that old Irish problem of not suppporting our own properly. Lots of Irish guys get their chances but it seems that to pull a crowd you need to have an international name. The only guys I can think of that have really big support on the ground are Japanese Popstars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭lottodrink

Lads a lot of you seem to CONSTANTLY talk about what's 'Cool'. The 'Cool' factor crops up in a lot of threads.

Is it important for the board that it be kept up? Maybe there could be a 'Cool' board, and a 'not so cool' board?
    What is "cool"? ;) lol

To be fair, Greg and Shane have huge support on the ground, but now only gig every month or so, due to being too busy overseas, and producing, etc, and their traditional support-base has not moved on.

Furthermore, the main scene in Cork now is largely based around eclectic students, rather than single-genre groups.

Limerick just looks messy, with people turning up for the bigger-name gigs, and the regular things getting very random crowds (house and techno), and thats how it's going, in Cork. Years ago there were big numbers of young people out every weekend. Now it's down to one-offs, for the main part.

Is our youth population apathetic to electronic noodling?

lottodrink wrote: »
    What is "cool"? ;) lol

I was talking about the WORD cool....it seems to be an omni-present fear, that something be uncool...Seems there's plenty on the board not worried about that, though...

Just to clarify...anyway, lets not go back to wind-up charity posts; this is an interesting topic now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

tbh if there is at least one irish producer actually shifting some units, and getting tracks signed to one of the biggest labels going, it means that Irish Techno (or techno from Ireland to be more technical about it) is doing better than ever before.

Now if only someone was doing that ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

jtsuited wrote: »
    tbh if there is at least one irish producer actually shifting some units, and getting tracks signed to one of the biggest labels going, it means that Irish Techno (or techno from Ireland to be more technical about it) is doing better than ever before.

Now if only someone was doing that ;)

Hey Handsome stop pimping your tunes:D

BaZmO* wrote: »
    although he's neither a kid nor handsome!! :pac:
    I used to be both.
    Give me til christmas though and I'll be at least one.

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    Hey Handsome stop pimping your tunes:D

No but seriously if anyone wants to bitch about the Irish 'scene', they need to realise that 'scenes' are completely counter-productive to someone having a successful career in music.

I release music on labels from the states, Ireland and soon Germany. I will be doing international dates from the New Year onwards. For me to make a living, I HAVE to look well past Ireland.

A lot of people will moan about some of the bigger Irish dance artists turning their back on Ireland for not being an integral part of a local scene.
    But you come to a choice in this business :
    you either a) Become everyone's favourite local act, release on small labels, play the festivals, and eventually fade away.
    or b) concentrate on competing on an international stage, and actually make a career of it.

If you do (b) (which the people who can really do it, always do), you will be bitched about incessantly amongst local cliques for turning your back on Ireland.

jtsuited wrote: »
    No but seriously if anyone wants to bitch about the Irish 'scene', they need to realise that 'scenes' are completely counter-productive to someone having a successful career in music.

I release music on labels from the states, Ireland and soon Germany. I will be doing international dates from the New Year onwards. For me to make a living, I HAVE to look well past Ireland.

A lot of people will moan about some of the bigger Irish dance artists turning their back on Ireland for not being an integral part of a local scene.
    But you come to a choice in this business :
    you either a) Become everyone's favourite local act, release on small labels, play the festivals, and eventually fade away.
    or b) concentrate on competing on an international stage, and actually make a career of it.

If you do (b) (which the people who can really do it, always do), you will be bitched about incessantly amongst local cliques for turning your back on Ireland.

Careful there; the little local "scene's" are your bread and butter. Record sales are all well and good, but touring relies on local support for music.

I don't think anyone moans about Donnacha Costello, Greg and Shane etc. Quality acts are quality, regardless which way they go about it.

"Scene's" are not counter-productive; they're providing you with a forum for your music, whether you choose to believe it or not, cos 9 times out of ten, you hear new music through someone else.

But if your point is that you can't make it here, whilst focussing on our internal market, you're AGREEING with the motion "That our scene cannot support local acts".

Careful there; the little local "scene's" are your bread and butter. Record sales are all well and good, but touring relies on local support for music.

I don't think anyone moans about Donnacha Costello, Greg and Shane etc. Quality acts are quality, regardless which way they go about it.

"Scene's" are not counter-productive; they're providing you with a forum for your music, whether you choose to believe it or not, cos 9 times out of ten, you hear new music through someone else.

But if your point is that you can't make it here, whilst focussing on our internal market, you're AGREEING with the motion "That our scene cannot support local acts".

The local scene in Ireland (in all music, not only dance music) has never been big enough for people to reasonably make a living over a long period of time.
    But that's nothing to do with anything negative about the 'scene' in Ireland. It's simply to do with the size of the population. So yes I agree that our 'scene cannot support local acts'.

As far as being 'careful' about scenes, the reality is that making a career in this business is about putting about high quality records. On big (or at least respected) labels.
    Not about being in with cliques (in the long term anyway).

You'll always have a flood of local talent dying to play for free, and promoters will always exploit that fact. But more importantly you will always have producers putting out big enough records that they can justifiably command fees that they can make a living from.

• Advertisement
Advertisement