Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do so many people on this site worry about who's 'Cool'?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

seannash wrote: »
    well ive sent personal emails on myspace,not comments and they get read(it tells you if they read them)did it on bebo too,same thing no response.

im hugely guilty of this i have to say

its not being ignorant, or purposely ignoring people or anything, its just that you get a mail/message, read it and say "yeh ill check that out later", fully intending to. and then you have to do something, and you forget about it

then a week later you see the mail again and think "jaysus, i forgot all about that, right im gonna do that next", and its forgotten about again

and im not exactly running the biggest label in the universe or anything

things just get passed over and forgotten about, it happens

it shouldnt, but it does

jtsuited wrote: »
    So yes I agree that our 'scene cannot support local acts'.

As far as being 'careful' about scenes, the reality is that making a career in this business is about putting about high quality records. On big (or at least respected) labels.
    Not about being in with cliques (in the long term anyway).

the irish scene stagnates itself time and time again through cliques. its always done it, and it will always continue to do it

someone sets up a night, it gets great support, all their mates are in on the bill, support is still strong, then they get contacts with the other nights and close up shop. its the same names playing the same places over and over again. its very rare that someone will establish themselves in a local sense without

1) being the mate of a promoter

or

2) starting their own night, and having a bit of luck to make it sustainable for a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

You guys reckon it's a population thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Helix wrote: »
    the irish scene stagnates itself time and time again through cliques. its always done it, and it will always continue to do it

someone sets up a night, it gets great support, all their mates are in on the bill, support is still strong, then they get contacts with the other nights and close up shop. its the same names playing the same places over and over again. its very rare that someone will establish themselves in a local sense without

1) being the mate of a promoter

or

2) starting their own night, and having a bit of luck to make it sustainable for a while

I think thats pretty much it in a nutshell.

You guys reckon it's a population thing?

no, its an irish mentality thing

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    I think thats pretty much it in a nutshell.

its always been the way and ive yet to see anything in the last decade to suggest its about to change, i think its become even more of a closed shop lately in fact

an issue i have regarding the thread title here is that you cant win in the "cool" game on the internet

if you like something thats popular, you like it to be cool
    if you dislike something thats popular, you dislike it to be cool
    if you like something thats underground, you like it to be cool
    if you dislike something underground, you dislike it to be cool

no matter what music youre talking about, theres always going to be someone who'll claim you like it to be cool

See I don't think our population size is a huge influence either, to be honest; you'd imagine Dublin, at least, would support something worth talking about. Maybe we're asking for too much!

an issue i have regarding the thread title here is that you cant win in the "cool" game on the internet

if you like something thats popular, you like it to be cool
    if you dislike something thats popular, you dislike it to be cool
    if you like something thats underground, you like it to be cool
    if you dislike something underground, you dislike it to be cool

no matter what music youre talking about, theres always going to be someone who'll claim you like it to be cool

First time I've really encountered it, on here. It's total nonsense. if I like something, it's cos I like it. If I dislike it, it's cos I dislike it, etc.

Jesus, if I wanted "to be cool" I wouldn't be playing with electric-nerd-music in the first place!

See I don't think our population size is a huge influence either, to be honest; you'd imagine Dublin, at least, would support something worth talking about. Maybe we're asking for too much!

theres plenty worth talking about in dublin in terms of electronic music, in fact theres plenty worth talking about in ireland. but again it tends to boil down to the cliquey aspect... if youre not in one, you wont get talked about as much

thats no bad thing now, sometimes it can be helpful not to be associated with any groups, and have the preconcieved notions attached to you, but it must be frustrating for guys who cant catch a break coz they dont know the right people

• Advertisement

First time I've really encountered it, on here. It's total nonsense. if I like something, it's cos I like it. If I dislike it, it's cos I dislike it, etc.

Jesus, if I wanted "to be cool" I wouldn't be playing with electric-nerd-music in the first place!

yup, but there are some who'll say we only do that coz its cool lol

you just cant win so its best to ignore the hype and ignore whats cool and just do your own thing

i have ridiculous taste in music, i could be listening to venetian snares one minute and avril lavigne the next, but how acts are percieved by other people has zero bearing on whether i chose to like it or not. there seems to be too many people wholl decide to like or dislike something based on factors apart from whether actually they like it or dislike it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

we've only got 1.5 million people here. To expect some sort of scene with anywhere the influence of Cologne, Berlin, Milan, etc. is very wishful thinking.

Especially when we are far more culturally backward than those places (in all music and art).

A place has to be quite modern and cosmopolitan for any sort of electronic music to be popular. Unfortunately we're still at the bottom of the heap when it comes to that.

The standard of ALL music is lower in Ireland (from classical to rock n roll) than other places.

Couple that with a not very big population and I actually think we're doing a little better than we ought to be.

we've only got 1.5 million people here. To expect some sort of scene with anywhere the influence of Cologne, Berlin, Milan, etc. is very wishful thinking.

Especially when we are far more culturally backward than those places (in all music and art).

A place has to be quite modern and cosmopolitan for any sort of electronic music to be popular. Unfortunately we're still at the bottom of the heap when it comes to that.

The standard of ALL music is lower in Ireland (from classical to rock n roll) than other places.

Couple that with a not very big population and I actually think we're doing a little better than we ought to be.

i wouldnt necessarily say the standard is lower as such, more that the ratio of great to not great is

the really good irish stuff stands up with teh really good stuff from anywhere else like, its just that theres not all that much of it that seems to make it out there

theres plenty worth talking about in dublin in terms of electronic music, in fact theres plenty worth talking about in ireland. but again it tends to boil down to the cliquey aspect... if youre not in one, you wont get talked about as much

thats no bad thing now, sometimes it can be helpful not to be associated with any groups, and have the preconcieved notions attached to you, but it must be frustrating for guys who cant catch a break coz they dont know the right people

hmm, I'm not in any cliques (i don't think I am) but from releasing records in the past 6 months I've already played Spy and have a sort of monthly residency starting in the Pod (nothing spectacular but a lot of dj's would sell their granny to be doing that).

Btw, I have found the people in the Dublin 'scene' extremely welcoming and supportive, and hope I'm not coming across as someone who is bitching about any particular people. I have yet to have a bad experience with people here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The biggest band in the world are Irish, although it is "uncool" to like them. And out of the last four Booker Prizes two of them were from Ireland. It's hardly fair to say that "we are far more culturally backward than those places (in all music and art)"

i wouldnt necessarily say the standard is lower as such, more that the ratio of great to not great is

so the average standard is hence lower.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    The biggest band in the world are Irish, although it is "uncool" to like them. And out of the last four Booker Prizes two of them were from Ireland. It's hardly fair to say that "we are far more culturally backward than those places (in all music and art)"

Well that band are hardly the epitome of cultural advancement, but I see your point.
    And I should have excepted Literature from my statement. When it comes to the English language, the Irish are kings.

When it comes to the English language, the Irish are kings.
    Yep..me agree wit dat

hmm, I'm not in any cliques (i don't think I am) but from releasing records in the past 6 months I've already played Spy and have a sort of monthly residency starting in the Pod (nothing spectacular but a lot of dj's would sell their granny to be doing that).

Btw, I have found the people in the Dublin 'scene' extremely welcoming and supportive, and hope I'm not coming across as someone who is bitching about any particular people. I have yet to have a bad experience with people here.

nah as i said it happens every so often, but its not a regular thing

the thing is tho, you aside (and id heard of you a while ago), i honestly dont think i could name a single relative newcomer whos played anywhere of note

• Advertisement

nah as i said it happens every so often, but its not a regular thing

the thing is tho, you aside (and id heard of you a while ago), i honestly dont think i could name a single relative newcomer whos played anywhere of note

yes that's true, but without sounding like a bit of a prick, name another newcomer who's had a big (relatively speaking) record played by the top international dj's this year from ireland.

Hernan Cattaneo and a few others supported my last record.
    Tom Pooks has played out Sourcecode's next release (which is gonna be massive btw).
    Tiesto gave one of Timmy&Tommy's tracks 'track of the month' (or something like that).

These are not coincidences nor are they based on any 'cliqueness'. Guys who are putting out releases that are getting attention from the big superstar dj's are gonna do well regarding live/dj bookings.

From speaking to two promoters who I know well, there are far more decent enough dj's (who don't produce) than there are gigs.
    Couple that with everyone able to run their own nights also being able to book big international names (and still make a profit), and you've got a situation where unless you're putting out big tracks on big enough labels you're not gonna get a gig.

I don't know whether that's a good or bad thing.

yes that's true, but without sounding like a bit of a prick, name another newcomer who's had a big (relatively speaking) record played by the top international dj's this year from ireland.

Hernan Cattaneo and a few others supported my last record.
    Tom Pooks has played out Sourcecode's next release (which is gonna be massive btw).
    Tiesto gave one of Timmy&Tommy's tracks 'track of the month' (or something like that).

These are not coincidences nor are they based on any 'cliqueness'. Guys who are putting out releases that are getting attention from the big superstar dj's are gonna do well regarding live/dj bookings.

i think it is. its no coincidence that the guys who are getting the gigs are also getting tracks played by big names. theyre getting the contacts from getting the gigs in the first place which make it handy to land tracks in hands. its not the tracks that came before the bookings, its the bookings that came before the tracks

my label is getting support from francesco farfa, luke porter, nick muir, derek howels, joy kitikonti, chloe harris, sasha la monnier, andy newland & darin epilson off the top of my head, and ive put out a few tracks on lables both in ireland and internationally here and there in the last few years (not so much lately) but if i still djed beyond the occasional gig once every 18 months, i can guarentee you id have trouble getting gigs anywhere coz i dont pal around with the right people

i think it is. its no coincidence that the guys who are getting the gigs are also getting tracks played by big names. theyre getting the contacts from getting the gigs in the first place which make it handy to land tracks in hands. its not the tracks that came before the bookings, its the bookings that came before the tracks

my label is getting support from francesco farfa, luke porter, nick muir, derek howels, joy kitikonti, chloe harris, sasha la monnier, andy newland & darin epilson off the top of my head, and ive put out a few tracks on lables both in ireland and internationally here and there in the last few years (not so much lately) but if i still djed beyond the occasional gig once every 18 months, i can guarentee you id have trouble getting gigs anywhere coz i dont pal around with the right people
    i must be very fortunate then because my releases were getting big name support 2 months before i had even played 1 gig (i mean that sincerely).

in my case the tracks came long before the bookings.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Interesting. I just got a pm from someone to tell me that there is a post over on dancemusicireland from "Hans" saying:
    "I've been on there for TWO days, trying to upset people.

76 posts.

The last time, I got a full ban after NINE posts.

I've lost my touch.

I'm back here looking for sympathy."
    Permanent Forum Ban for being a tool. I suspected he was under alias from another member way back, now I know who.

If anyone else spots this in future give us a head up. We'll all for good discussion and friendly banter around here, but this sh1t just doesn't fly.
    Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

why would you bother coming on to a forum to cause hassle.some people have too much time on there hands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭Fintomiginto

Id say all his dancemusicireland buddies think he's mad. :cool:

Must have a very limited life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭brianc27

pretty good read this, whether he was taking the piss or not he started a decent thread with some good intelligent debate, no offence, but thats something seriously lacking on these boards.

brianc27 wrote: »
    pretty good read this, whether he was taking the piss or not he started a decent thread with some good intelligent debate, no offence, but thats something seriously lacking on these boards.
    yeah true,it was a good topic alright.i went over to that other site and to be honest there talking about the same stuff that gets talked about over here

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

brianc27 wrote: »

Guys we all enjoy interesting debates so if you have a particular topic in mind, please, start a thread!

But please keep the trolling and personal abuse to a minimum.
    Cheers

Zascar wrote: »
    Interesting. I just got a pm from someone to tell me that there is a post over on dancemusicireland from "Hans" saying:

Permanent Forum Ban for being a tool. I suspected he was under alias from another member way back, now I know who.

If anyone else spots this in future give us a head up. We'll all for good discussion and friendly banter around here, but this sh1t just doesn't fly.
    Cheers

did he do anything on here to warrant a banning?

and if so why wasnt he banned for it?

did he do anything on here to warrant a banning?

and if so why wasnt he banned for it?

given what he said on the other forum, we can conclude that he was 'trolling'. In fact it's the sort of textbook definition of trolling ('trying to upset people' was the phrase he used i think).

that's bannable so fair call i think.

• Advertisement

but he clearly didnt do anything on here that was worthy of him being banned, or hed have been banned already

the acts of someone on another forum should have zero bearing to anything that mods do on here

by all means ban him if he does something on boards, but not because of a post on another forum

the thing is, hes actually got a decent discussion going on here, and i honestly havent see anything worthy of a bannable offence

but he clearly didnt do anything on here that was worthy of him being banned, or hed have been banned already

the acts of someone on another forum should have zero bearing to anything that mods do on here

by all means ban him if he does something on boards, but not because of a post on another forum

the thing is, hes actually got a decent discussion going on here, and i honestly havent see anything worthy of a bannable offence

agreed, but it's the intent that's the issue.

interesting discussion though, although nothing to do with the original post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

agreed, but it's the intent that's the issue.

interesting discussion though, although nothing to do with the original post.

Your post on "funky house" music could be deemed as intent, but intent is not a bannable offence.

if we banned anyone who said anything that might offend someone else's opinion it would be a pretty boring place.

ntlbell wrote: »
    Your post on "funky house" music could be deemed as intent, but intent is not a bannable offence.

if we banned anyone who said anything that might offend someone else's opinion it would be a pretty boring place.
    ah ha, DEEMED intent. If you had a transcript of me saying on another forum that I've been deliberately riling up funky house fans over here, then yes i think it would be bannable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Thats terrible ,sure anyone could have registered with that name.

ah ha, DEEMED intent. If you had a transcript of me saying on another forum that I've been deliberately riling up funky house fans over here, then yes i think it would be bannable.

If I say on another forum, I'm going to wind up the lads on boards.

Come to boards and do nothing ban worthy.

Then no, I don't think he should be banned. If he does break the charter or whatever, then yes, but up to now he's done nothing worthy of a ban.

ok i see your point but you can also look at it this way.

if you say on another forum you state you are going to rile up people on boards, and then post something here that could certainly get a few people riled up, that is trolling.

and that is banworthy.

ok i see your point but you can also look at it this way.

if you say on another forum you state you are going to rile up people on boards, and then post something here that could certainly get a few people riled up, that is trolling.

and that is banworthy.

But as someone stated all ready, how do we even know it's him?

I could sign up on a forum call myself JTh8sdafunk and post about how I'm going to wind up people on here....

It's hearsay and a ridiculous reason to ban someone, he's done nothing wrong here.

what he did or didnt do wasnt tagged as trolling tho

until a post on another forum which someone reported (may i just say, that was pathetic whoever did that), there was zero he did on here that in any way attracted mod attention, which means he didnt break any rules

if he didnt break any rules, then regardless of whether he said he was going to find the mod and teabag him on dmi, banning him is ridiculous and wholly unwarranted

I could sign up on a forum call myself JTh8sdafunk and post about how I'm going to wind up people on here....

It's hearsay and a ridiculous reason to ban someone, he's done nothing wrong here.
    if you read the thread on the otbher forum youl see he was banned before and from that im sure thery knew who he was

• Advertisement

seannash wrote: »
    if you read the thread on the otbher forum youl see he was banned before and from that im sure thery knew who he was

Not exactly no.

Maybe this strange stalker new he was banned before. ;)

ok if you're on about whether it is actually the guy or not, fair enough. but i can see where the mods are coming from on this, presuming it definitely is the same guy.

this has nothing to do with me though so I'll back away now.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I don't really think he should have been banned either - he clearly wanted to cause a stir but also wanted a genuine debate... his comments elsewhere should have no bearing on his comments here imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

My main style is still hard house and NRG, if I gave a flying **** about what people thought was cool (or debatably "good") then I would have stopped playing the stuff a LONG time ago.
    Listen to whatever you want to listen to, don't be a sheep!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

jonny68 wrote: »
    Well i personally could never be described as a "bandwagon jumper" for example i know of hardly anyone else on here or indeed in Dublin who is into Hardcore Breaks (or indeed has even heard of this scene which is very underground) just one example.;)

im not reading rthrough this entire topic cuz it will just get me wound up but have you ever heard of a dj called greg j? i have a few of his sets, he plays oldskool hardcore and hardcore breaks and mixes them real fast, using vinyl.

my fav one is greg j - the class is in session. savage mix.

copeyhagen wrote: »
    im not reading rthrough this entire topic cuz it will just get me wound up but have you ever heard of a dj called greg j? i have a few of his sets, he plays oldskool hardcore and hardcore breaks and mixes them real fast, using vinyl.

my fav one is greg j - the class is in session. savage mix.
    it actually turns into a good thread,its not just a slagging match,honestly

I think everybody should be banned. It's the fairest solution

haha yeh, bans all round.

I don't care, i just try and get into genre's not many people like so i can call myself different, then everyone like me ends into the same thing and it all ends up cool

i'm like minimal techno emo :cool:

• Advertisement

yeh me too, one sound i have really been digging lately is the "progressive pan pipes" stuff :pac:

Advertisement