Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop repair in D15?

Options
  • 28-11-2008 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Anyone recommend somewhere local (I'm in Blanch village) to fix a dell laptop (turns on, screen stays black, I can hear windows working in the background and tired restoring it on an external monitor but no go)?
    Prefer somewhere I can drop it in instead of a call out service cos I'm out and about a bit.
    C

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Probably a stupid question, but have you tried hitting the Fn & F8 buttons together a few times? That one caught me out the first time I was using a laptop.

You could try http://www.computerdoctor.ie. Never tried 'em myself though so its not a recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

CTRL F11 starts up dell recovery assuming you havent deleted the partition.
    Or try entering safe mode and then system restore?
    Or of course F12 boot from disc and have your xp or vista disc in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

You could also try in this forum if you dont get sorted out here. dont go opening multiple threads at the same time though, it might not be appreciated. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

deswalsh wrote: »
    Probably a stupid question, but have you tried hitting the Fn & F8 buttons together a few times? That one caught me out the first time I was using a laptop.

You could try http://www.computerdoctor.ie. Never tried 'em myself though so its not a recommendation.

I rang that guy before he was very good he calls out to your house and he has very reasonable rates. He even threw in free anti-virus software on an old laptop that was on the blink on me.

Edit: Soz OP just read that you didn't want a call out service....he collected the laptop off me and did most of the work elsewhere...had the laptop back that same week

Sure truth be known MOST home pc problems are easily fixed with a little knowledge or even another pc to google the problem.

Ive a dell pc and after one problem and about €90 less for a phone call ive made sure to fix any problems that arise.Thus i have learned a lot about pcs,a external hardrive and windows back up are your best man.Any problems reinstall windows,then install your back up and your away.

It really is that simple,people who come out to fix pcs make a killing over peoples lack of knowledge and them panicing.

• Advertisement

jeffk wrote: »
    Sure truth be known MOST home pc problems are easily fixed with a little knowledge or even another pc to google the problem.

Ive a dell pc and after one problem and about €90 less for a phone call ive made sure to fix any problems that arise.Thus i have learned a lot about pcs,a external hardrive and windows back up are your best man.Any problems reinstall windows,then install your back up and your away.

It really is that simple,people who come out to fix pcs make a killing over peoples lack of knowledge and them panicing.

Cant fault anything you say there jeffk, but the OP is in a bind and needs help pronto - without a screen that's gonna be difficult.

I'm a fixer meself, so I've never had to call on a help line or pcdoctor (I think its a man thing, like not asking for directions! :D ).

Cant fault anything you say there jeffk, but the OP is in a bind and needs help pronto - without a screen that's gonna be difficult.

I'm a fixer meself, so I've never had to call on a help line or pcdoctor (I think its a man thing, like not asking for directions! :D ).

Ah sure des he can send it to you and see what you can do and if not you send it my way.New business venture-Boards.ie have a go IT repair :p

lol Id agree with you on that but woman may/will read this and could/will use it as ammo so i shall :D back

jeffk wrote: »
    Ah sure des he can send it to you and see what you can do and if not you send it my way.New business venture-Boards.ie have a go IT repair :p

lol Id agree with you on that but woman may/will read this and could/will use it as ammo so i shall :D back

I like it, www.haveago.ie!

I like it, www.haveago.ie!

Lol

Im curious has the op gotten the laptop sorted :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

There's a computer repair ship in Lucan Village, Main Street. Try and google something closer to home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭spitonmedickie

Just an update. After a VERY frustrating call to Dell the first time I rang again and the second agent couldn't have been nicer. Rep called out this morning and replaced the lcd under warranty. Apparently the circuits in it 'just go sometimes'. All sorted, not out of pocket but about 45mins of my life spent on the phone.

Just an update. After a VERY frustrating call to Dell the first time I rang again and the second agent couldn't have been nicer. Rep called out this morning and replaced the lcd under warranty. Apparently the circuits in it 'just go sometimes'. All sorted, not out of pocket but about 45mins of my life spent on the phone.

Ah good to see you got it sorted.
    Well the call wasn't free and it sounds like a typical call to dell,half the time you cant understand them and then their ringing you loads to make sure its all sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I find it easier to deal with Dell via email. Though I can fix most things myself. Theres a laptop repair place in Phibsboro. I've used once or twice when I needed something like the motherboard or LCD boards tested.

http://www.computersunlimited.ie/.

Advertisement