Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT 24mbit unlimited is NOT UNLIMITED

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lazlo

This also happened to me on Thursday night. I was appalled, when I lived in town I had an 'unlimited' service with Smart Telecom and that exactly what it was. I never had any issues with my ISP apart from the odd outage once in a while. I signed up to BT's option 3 because I was under the illusion that I would be getting similar service.

On thursday night my internet speed suddenly choked on both my computers, I spent ages rying to rectify the problem myself and I resolved to call BT the next morning. When I called Tech Support and they informed me of their 'throttling' policy I became very very angry. On top of their misrepresentation of their services they do not even inform their users via email or phone when a sanction has been placed upon their account-this just adds insult to the injury. I work from home and my ability to work has now been undermined by my meagre connection.

I now yearn for my old apartment. The internet service is reason alone to consider moving back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

bah... i've just been throttled as well. their 'fair use policy' is ridiculous, it's an unspoken 100GB cap then? there was me thinking if i left eavy downloading to off peak hours i'd be ok... what's written on their terms and conditions certainly seems to suggest this.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

20goto10 wrote: »
    I spoke to a nice chap in BT tech dept. The cap on all packages is 100gb on rolling 30 day period (yes all packages even the onces with 30gb or 40gb limits). The system checks your upload + download amounts over the past 30 days and if its over 100gb you get throttled. It checks twice a day. If you get throttled you will need to stop downloading for about 2 weeks, otherwise you're constantly going to dip just under and then go over again straight away.
    In fairness now this has been common knowledge among BT boardsies for ages.

A quick search would have brought up the massive threads on it.

The rolling cap is a good system, but the limit needs to be higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Tim131

Uggh, Just got capped this minute, noticed it was ridiculously slow, did a speed check, and am getting dia-up speeds to be honest. When can I expect to get my "unlimited" connection back?

I shall be ringing BT on monday to complain....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Tim131 wrote: »
    Uggh, Just got capped this minute, noticed it was ridiculously slow, did a speed check, and am getting dia-up speeds to be honest. When can I expect to get my "unlimited" connection back?

I shall be ringing BT on monday to complain....
    You broke the T&C's.. I doubt you are gonna get very far..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lazlo

jmccrohan wrote: »

He won't get far but their marketing department should be taken to task for the representation of their products. They should also be obliged to inform customers of any changes being made to their services.

**** BT.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Tim131

jmccrohan wrote: »

I know yeah, I figured as much.

But I'm going to say I didn't know about this capping, make up a bull$hit story, and ask as it's my first time if they can un-cap. If not, I'll just ask when I'm uncapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

I also got throttled this week by BT. How long does it last for?

JoeyD wrote: »
    I also got throttled this week by BT. How long does it last for?

Until your usage (up + down) from the last 30 days drops below 100GB.

Advertisement