Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Headlight re-alignment - where to go?

Options
  • 28-11-2008 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

My beloved 13 year old jeep failed her NCT last night :mad:

It failed on 3 points -
    My break pedal rubber was worn! (you can barely notice the rub on it!)
    One of my front sidelights was not working. My fault. I didn't check it!
    My nearside dip beam is out of range.

I can replace the bulb no problem and I presume I can buy a break pad rubber in a car shop and fit it myself but where should I take my car to to have the beam re-aligned? Don't think my mechanic has the equipment to check it.

I asked would I have to go through the whole test again and he said yes. I asked why couldn't I just have a re-test and he said the equipment for checking the lights was part of the whole test :confused: and that I'd have to pay the €49 again. When I had calmed down and read the report later on it says "re-test €27.50. To be tested by 5th January". Maybe he didn't understand me, its like being in Eastern Europe in the Fonthill Test Centre! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

visual checks are free but your charged a re test fee if their equipment needs to be used.

As for the headlight alignment. Advence pitstop or even some tyre places, as some have the equipment to do it. Prob cost 20 - 25 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You could try yourself if you're a bit handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

biko wrote: »
    You could try yourself if you're a bit handy.

Thanks for that, might give it a go! Would be gutted though if it failed again!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 CK909

Be careful who you get it done by, My car failed on highlight allignment so next day I brought it to a garage - They charged me 20euro for fixing it. I managed to get a retest the next day and the feckin thing failed for the same reason. I brought it to a diffirent garage 100 yards down the road and they fixed it again. 3 times in the NCT centre in 5 days. Cost me a fortune.
    The Polish guys in Fonthill must've made a fortune from these shenanigans

• Registered Users Posts: 18 e_m20

Try Coby Autos behind the Red Cow. Phone 01 4591308

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

e_m20 wrote: »
    Try Coby Autos behind the Red Cow. Phone 01 4591308

€45 and they guarantee the job!

Advertisement