Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WW 1 Reading

Options
  • 28-11-2008 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I want to tackle the first world war, can someone reccomend a good book to get started?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I found this one good:

http://www.amazon.com/First-World-Teach-Yourself-History/dp/0340884894

I started off with teach yourself Irish histroy, the WW1, then WW2.. then the Cold War. Great series of books imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

'The Origins of the First World War' by an historian named Fischer. It is a standard university text but quite readable.If you are interested in more in depth analysis read 'The Age of Capital' and 'The Age of Empire' by Eric Hobsbawm. These two books are social, economic and political histories rolled into one and cover the period from the 1840's to the end of the first war. Hobsbawm is a Marxist but attempts to be unbiased, although he himself admits it is hard to be this at all times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

boneless wrote: »
    'The Origins of the First World War' by an historian named Fischer. It is a standard university text but quite readable.If you are interested in more in depth analysis read 'The Age of Capital' and 'The Age of Empire' by Eric Hobsbawm. These two books are social, economic and political histories rolled into one and cover the period from the 1840's to the end of the first war. Hobsbawm is a Marxist but attempts to be unbiased, although he himself admits it is hard to be this at all times.

Thanks boneless, i ended up getting Hobsbawms "Age of Empire", its a good read and should lead me nicely into "Age of Extremes".
    Thanks for the recommendations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Good call Hobsbawn is one of the preeminent historians of the twentieth century. and despite being a history student I've never read him...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Get Deaths Men by Denis Winter. Its the best ww1 book.
    Regards.

• Advertisement
Advertisement