Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children when to start them

Options
  • 28-11-2008 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

I am just wondering if ye have any opinions on what age is too young to start Horse riding. I have a couple of horses myself, and my two oldest children want to learn to horse ride. One is eight which is fine but the other is just about to turn four. I think he is old enough however some people disagree. any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

If they're old enough to walk then they are old enough to ride. Fond memory from the dim and distant past was a Judge asking little Johnny what age he was in a lead rein class...the answer came back that little Johnny was "twee".

(and if memory serves me correctly, little Johnny was only suffering the indignity of the lead rein for the purposes of the class. It went as soon as he came out of the ring.)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

most schools want them to be six, but if you have two keen children and your own animals, away you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I started quite early - 2 - but then we had horses at home, and my grandad bought me a quiet shetland - so it was easy enough and my family could dictate how much/what I did. If you have horses at home then it's not a major issue. It's not so easy if you're relying on a riding school, though. Maybe you could let the 8 year old start and see how things go with them. You'd get to know the 'lie of the land', etc and then, if you're happy and they're willing to take your 4 year old, then it's sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Most four year olds do not yet have the strength and coordination to control a pony, and a lot of them would be just sitting there. But some four year olds are quite tough and hardy and more able for it than an 8 year old. depends on the child really.

6 is the general age quoted for starting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Socos

Thanks for the replies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

Socos, I started at four. I don't have any memories of actually asking for lessons but I must have as neither of my folks are into horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

i have seen many young kids of around four or five at my lessons at the local equestrian centre. as long as they can stand up and sit down suitable for trottin i dont see any problem.

hope that helps.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 EMZ0907

i started at 3 or 4 at a riding school....i was an exception though as the normal age was 5, but they couldnt shut me up and i was soooooo determined! we never had the money to keep me in constant lessons but from that age i realised how much i loved it and was determined to continue.i think at that age you are starting to find out what you truely love. i think as their parent you will know your children backwards so you will know what they can and cant handle. so if you think the 4 year old is ready i defo think its worth a shot!and with you supervising you will know just how far they can go. as some one else said some 4 year olds can handle the pony some cant and im sure you will know straight away if they are reay for riding:D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 PrideandLuna

I started when I was three/four my parents had to trawl the country looking for a ridding school that would take me :D I don't know if I did much more than walking and a few trots at that stage but I can honestly say it did me no harm! I think you should go for it, as long as you have a easy-going pony and you don't do too much too soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 andy2854

i started when i was 7 loved it ever since:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement