Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canteen on Fire?

• 28-11-2008 12:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭

Was just walking past the canteen there, loads of smoke coming out of the roof and the building has been evacuated. Mad sh*t altogether!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

On open day of all days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

Any updates or anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1128/fire.html

All ok apparently.

"A fire has broken out in a restaurant on the university campus in Maynooth, Co Kildare.

The fire service was alerted at 11.27am this morning. Four units from Leixlip and Maynooth fire services were sent to the scene at NUI Maynooth.

The restaurant was evacuated immediately and nobody has been injured.

AdvertisementFirefighters are still trying to bring the fire, which is burning in the restaurant on the northern end of the campus, under control."

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭golden gal

Any word on the sports halls? Wonder if this will have any impact on the exams....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Any updates or photos?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Armadillo

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Any updates or photos?

This about sums it up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

****ing nuts. Witnessed it myself. In shock tbh. Spent so much time there over the years. Just seen those nice old ladies who work on the tills there in tears on south campus. Very sad :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

golden gal wrote: »
    Any word on the sports halls? Wonder if this will have any impact on the exams....

Cancelled! A's for everyone! Huzzah!

Armadillo wrote: »
    This about sums it up...
    wocka wocka :)
    LeixlipRed wrote: »
    ****ing nuts. Witnessed it myself. In shock tbh. Spent so much time there over the years. Just seen those nice old ladies who work on the tills there in tears on south campus. Very sad :(
    So how bad is the damage to the building?

The structure seems to be intact. The roof on the canteen is completely gone. Sports Hall seems to be undamaged but I would say there'd be serious smoke and water damage so it could be destroyed for all we know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

golden gal wrote: »
    Heard the exams are cancelled!

Will you stop. Talk about rumours :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Heard the exams are cancelled!

Unlikely! I'd say they'll just use extra lecture halls/classrooms if need be.

Watched the proceedings from our lab in Biosciences. Some grey smoke from the kitchen area and the canteen building was evacuated. They cleared the area. Smoke for about twenty minutes then the whole thing stepped up a notch. Our smoke alarms went off (it was blowing right at the building) and we evacuated Bioscience. The smoke turned black. Roof tiles started exploding, so there was some small debris starting to get thrown from the building. Within five more minutes, flames were visible across the entire canteen hall and the lobby. It basically went out of control at that point. We were cleared away from the path of the smoke, presumably for health reasons. There was some light debris and ash starting to fall into the field on the far side of the Bioscience building, so they might have been worried about possible injuries.

When I left about twenty minutes later, it had either mostly burned out or was under control of the fire brigade. There was still black smoke coming from the new extension to the canteen, but the rest of the smoke was thinning. No sign of them letting us back into Bioscience so most of us just went home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Rumors are:

Malfunctioning fridge circuitry, or builder welding roof tiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

I cant believe it... it's so sad!

mp3guy wrote: »
    Rumors are:

Malfunctioning fridge circuitry, or builder welding roof tiles.

Too soon to tell really. I'd have assumed:

15 years of chip fat + a sneaky cig.

"Youuuuuu..., your canteen on fire.....
    And youuuuu, your canteen on fire....
    Consumed with whats to transpire!!!!"

Or an arson minded school kid ;)

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Or an arson minded school kid ;)

I remember once taking a group of scouts to a holiday camp. Within 45 minutes of our arrival the security team contacted us to say that one of our scouts had a liking for combining lit matches and rubbish bins :(

I'm sure all the speculation will continue until someone gets news of the Fire Officers report in to the cause of the fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Strange how it happens on open day. Just passed a bunch of kids on south campus saying 'f**kin maynouuut never comin eeeeere!!'

Last year, mumps.

This year, fire.

Next year godzilla?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Holsten wrote: »
    "Youuuuuu..., your canteen on fire.....
    And youuuuu, your canteen on fire....
    Consumed with whats to transpire!!!!"

A prize for captain original :rolleyes:

I hope the rebuild doesn't take ages, like the tiny extension which was taking way too long for what it was.

Godzilla? Where do I get tickets for said event?

efla wrote: »
    Strange how it happens on open day. Just passed a bunch of kids on south campus saying 'f**kin maynouuut never comin eeeeere!!'

Yes... as if they'd be let in anyway :rolleyes:
    efla wrote: »
    Last year, mumps.

This year, fire.

Next year godzilla?

The Annual Maynooth Open Day Disaster. The stakes get higher every year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Yes... as if they'd be let in anyway :rolleyes:

The Annual Maynooth Open Day Disaster. The stakes get higher every year!

Yeh... I'm not jaded (too much yet) but its getting worse. 17 year olds speaking in sentences of 70% preposition, and within five minutes, I passed two groups being told by their guide where the best pubs were.

Bring back fees.

Or Godzilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

Great, I wasn't in on an eventful day.

I was in the canteen yesterday and the alarm went off every twenty minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

The pic of the fire you posted is in this set (http://www.flickr.com/photos/8793088@N04/sets/72157610292188249/). I can't take credit for any of those pics, they were sent to me via phone and email as it occurred.

The bart buschotts set (the link you posted) is some aftermath photos.

Holsten wrote: »

That's a good picture. I'm sure some were taken from upstairs in Bioscience too. There were co-workers of mine taking snaps as were ushered away due to the roof exploding.

Fun.

It's a shame really, I'm sure the university could do without the cost and hassle of rebuilding.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Ah Jaysus...:(
    Spent many an afternoon there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭jasonb

Me too! Anyone remember it being built? We used to eat in a much smaller canteen in the Arts Block, back when I was young. The 'new' canteen and sports block were much appreciated when they opened.

I have to ask though, was there no Sprinkler System or such in place?

J.

Advertisement