Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canteen on Fire?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Reported in the Leinster Leader. True to form, the fire is described as having been "small". I'm not sure anyone but the NUIM PR guys would agree.

http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/Fire-at-NUI-Maynooth.4744078.jp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

I was at the Open Day today and was at the Arts talk when I heard about it. Mad shiz altogether.

Other then that, though, I think it's grand oul University. It's one of only 2 places that do the particular course I want to do. I was originally going to go for DCU but today might change my mind. Lovely place and a nice little town as well as the fact that the guides were the nicest people I've ever spoken to.

banquo wrote: »

Yeah, I'm in that vid. That's mostly Bioscience staff being herded away. The popping sound is the roof tiles exploding.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ektich

Reported in the Leinster Leader. True to form, the fire is described as having been "small". I'm not sure anyone but the NUIM PR guys would agree.

http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/Fire-at-NUI-Maynooth.4744078.jp

NUIM PR guys came up with "small fire" idea in a first place!

http://communications.nuim.ie/press/281108.shtml

• Advertisement

ektich wrote: »

Gotta love the closing lines. Nothing to do with fire, but essential I'm sure.

The tone sorta reminds me of a sketch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejCqVyROqno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

Was there today myself for the open day was some scary **** never seen anything like it most of people from my school freaked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

ektich wrote: »

Biggest fire I've ever seen. Though admittedly I don't see many fires...

Heh. That's bang on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Shameful shíte to be honest.

Along with the photoshopped commuter line posters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭token56

Two pictures of the aftermath attached.

Fire services did good job of not letting it spread to the sports hall section. Was pretty amazing to watch it go up though.
    At least all the secondary students got a warm welcoming.

I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Feck, I knew I should have went today. I'll see the aftermath tomorrow so.

efla wrote: »
    Shameful shíte to be honest.

Along with the photoshopped commuter line posters

You mean the press release or the youtube link?

Something a bit more honest:
    Dear Colleagues,

As you will be already aware a major fire occurred in the Student Canteen building on the North Campus earlier today. Thankfully, due to the prompt response of our security and safety staff the building was evacuated immediately and there have been no injuries or loss of life.

The building is totally destroyed and consequently there will be some inconveniences for students and staff that may extend over several months. In order to deal with the immediate issue of catering facilities special arrangements are being put in place. These will include extending the lunchtime hours for staff and students in Pugin Hall (will be open from 12 noon to 2.30 p.m. for the rest of term, and you are encouraged to avail of this facility), and also extending the services to staff in the Staff Common Room.

Additional facilities are being arranged for students at a number of venues on the North Campus. As more specific details become available they will be communicated to all staff and students.

We regret any inconvenience that will arise and ask for your forbearance over the coming weeks and months.

Sincerely,
    Jim Walsh
    Deputy President

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭scott.s

That was some fire!

I got a good few pics and videos so I'll see what I can upload later or tommorrow.

Hope the hall isn't too damaged. I'm part (Captain) of the Trampoline Club and we had one of our tramps set up in the hall at the time. If that's damaged, it's worth a few thousand euro :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

I know one of the firemen who have been fighting it. Only finished up about an hour ago so thats a good long battle against a "small" fire as stated by NUIM!
    According to him the fire started at the flat roof at the back of the canteen where there was felting going on and spread very very quickly to the rest of the canteen.
    The canteen is gutted, will need to be totally rebuilt. The shop/foyer/sports halls are smoke and water damaged but nothing that is too serius. Apparently the worst of the fire was stopped at the firedoors into the canteen and did not spread to the rest of the building.
    PS also mentioned that the trampoline is still standing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Was at the open day today - what an impression! But I managed to get videos and photos from when the fire was in a juvenile state to when it was a full blaze. Was in Bio Science Building (with a Robot playing football and some cool VR bullseye programme) and it wasn't evacuated until the smoke got really bad. Overheard a lecturer saying the Canteen was on fire, 'but it was grand'. I remember hearing at the 2fm broadcaster that the fire was under control...when the Fire Brigade hadn't even arrived at that point!

Seen a bunch of ambulances at the scene, could have just been precautionary for smoke inhalation. I remember hearing what seemed to be gas bottles explode during the fire, and the coaches swiftly exiting the car park!

Surprisingly, the train back to Pearse was fairly empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

:( Whatever shall the canteen correspondent do now?

HA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Rozabeez wrote: »
    :( Whatever shall the canteen correspondent do now?

Move to Pugin :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

ooh, I'm in that video aswell just for a second. :)

Saw the smoke coming out when it was just starting off and thought to myself "ah it'll be grand". So I went upstairs in the lab in engineering building. Was sitting there listening to music next of all teh fire alarm goes off, we're being evacuated and the canteen is a ****ing inferno. was trying to get my phone onto video mode but got kicked out before I could do so.
    Complete madness.

• Advertisement

Spent a few years in the Guards before going to maynooth as a mature student and the "small fire" lark brought back memories.... one thing I learned is that you can never believe what you read in the newspapers or see on TV.

Does everyone have an alibi :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

macroman wrote: »
    Was at the open day today - what an impression! But I managed to get videos and photos from when the fire was in a juvenile state to when it was a full blaze.
    Can you put those vids and photos online? I'd like to see them if possible. Can't believe the canteen is gone!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Can you put those vids and photos online? I'd like to see them if possible. Can't believe the canteen is gone!!
    They're the same as what's online already, will try and get them online anyway ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭scott.s

Apparently the worst of the fire was stopped at the firedoors into the canteen and did not spread to the rest of the building.
    PS also mentioned that the trampoline is still standing!

ah that's not too bad then if it was contained.

Anyone got any idea who to contact in relation to personal belongings that were left in the hall. My girlfriend and another girl left their bags behind when leaving the hall. Got car keys, wallets, dissertation work (eep) etc in them. Would be good to be able to get them recovered soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

scott.s wrote: »
    dissertation work (eep)

Surely they'd have that stuff backed up? There'll probably be a lost and found thing sometime next week I'd imagine, the people in the Academic Advisory office will be able to find out who you need to talk to I'm sure, they know everything.

dara95 wrote: »
    o.m.g man!

i was in the post primary and e nd my m8 were watchin the college belchj **** out its arse hole!!!

funny **** galore

I'll field this one. I speak teen.

wtf r u tking about? d college wuz belchj fire out its ars hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I was at the open day myself, missed 2 lectures to watch the fire. Some bright spark next to me thought it was some kind of fireworks display...

See you guys next year by the way ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Biccie

i was at that open day in maynooth today(Fri 28th) i'm a 5th year. one of the boys rang me to follow the smoke,it was mad, the lads mam rang him cos it was on the news.it sounded like wood crackling on an open fire. i tried to get a good video but we weren't allowed. anyways if i learned 1 thing from college it is this

"You come for the college ,and you stay for the bonfire"xD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Was there today too. I didn't really know what was going on at first. I went inside to my class in the arts block, then back outside with a few people to check out the situation, when I came back outside the arts building there was a huge black cloud and flames in the distance! :eek:

Poor canteen. :(

Though at least nobody was hurt (and my lecture was cancelled! :pac: )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 xmrs-torresx

Typical, the one friday i'm not Fcukin there and this happens!?!?
    got a load of texts around the time it happened from mates tellin me the canteen just went up in flames!!!
    What an image for the college on its Open Day..lol

Advertisement