Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowboarding Gear? - Where to buy?

• 28-11-2008 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Im off snowboarding in Andorra in Jan.

Its my first time on a snow holiday and need to know what to bring - clothing wise?

Also i want to do it on a budget so any suggestions on what i need and where to get (within budget)?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Dude all the info you need is here.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055222268

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Yup the question has been answered loads of time, just have a browse back through the threads and you'll find you answers.

Theres been a lot of talk about cheap gear in Aldi or Lidl lately, not too sure about the quality though!

Andorra is a great laugh, i went there my first 2 times, great for beginners and a good night life too. Check out 'El Cau', 'Surf' and 'Quo Vadis', there good spots to go drinking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭eddie-n07

Thanks im still a newbe here!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭yellowcurl

eddie-n07 wrote: »
    Im off snowboarding in Andorra in Jan.

Its my first time on a snow holiday and need to know what to bring - clothing wise?

Also i want to do it on a budget so any suggestions on what i need and where to get (within budget)?

Thanks in advance

The North Face is opening up an outlet store in Kildare Village (If it's not open already) and there should be loads of cheaper snow gear available there! Also Quicksilver and Tog24 have outlet stores there too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

BVLD is having a sale ATM, was in there today, some really good deals on everything.

Worth a look for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭mcgrate

yellowcurl wrote: »
    The North Face is opening up an outlet store in Kildare Village
    Excellent !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

All the places mentioned in the FAQ are places in Dublin. Anybody recommend a shop in Belfast that sells snowboarding boots?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭yellowcurl

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    All the places mentioned in the FAQ are places in Dublin. Anybody recommend a shop in Belfast that sells snowboarding boots?

This place is in Belfast, should have everything you need http://www.macski.com/ :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

MacSki added to the FAQ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

A tip on the clothing side...

The recommendation is to wear layers.
    I got thermal long sleeve tees the first time I went, wore them with a light fleece & jacket, roasted in them.

Last year I wore either just a t-shirt, fleece & jacket, or the thermal tee & jacket.

This year I plan on just wearing a super lightweight running/training tee, fleece & jacket. That should wick away any sweat while on the slopes.

Worst thing I found was getting cold, not sue to lack of layers, but cos of sweating & then this cooling down. Really need breathable layers because of this.

Also, if you carry much in a backpack around with you, you're more likely to build up a sweat underneath & exacerbate the problem.
    Try and carry as little as possible all day.

So what to buy....obviously jacket, pants, a couple of fleeces, beenie hat, goggles, all to whatever budget you can afford.
    I started with cheap pants, good jacket, borrowed goggles, following year, upgraded my pants & got my own goggles.

Finally - male or female, bring a good strong hairdryer - handy to dry out any clothes that get sopping wet before leaving them on radiators, luckily my g/f has a good one that blasts the clothes dry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Layers is definately the way to go, but cotton t-shirts are a bad thing to use as one of those layers. If your going for your first week skiing/ boarding then you may actually need more layers than someone else even though your probably going to be lower down in the slightly warmer parts of the hills becasue the potential standing around waiting in group lessons can get cold. Once your flying down blue/ red runs though then whatever the weather you'll probably not need to be wearing as much as although gravity is doing most of the work for you it is still a very physical activity that you are doing and that will keep you warm.

I have just been wearing the one thermal layer and a jacket a lot of the time and only add a fleece layer on the really, really, really cold days, and then just for when your sat around having a beer somewhere at the top of the mountain. I just carry the fleece layer around in my backpack for added cusioning around my cameras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

My First ever trip I was soked to the skin,every day i would come home and have to dry my boots hoping that they would be dry enough for the next day.In the end i only wore a fleece and a underarmor top!!

Check out dry zone boot dryers on ebay they work a treat!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

The dri-fit t-shirts and long sleeve tops are great for pulling sweat away from your body so when you cool down your nor frozen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

makes a massive difference. First day I tried boarding I had an ordinary tee-shirt and at the bottom of the hill afterwards I was frozen and felt completely crap. Base layer all the way from then on. Unless its springtime and warm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

Finally - male or female, bring a good strong hairdryer - handy to dry out any clothes that get sopping wet before leaving them on radiators, luckily my g/f has a good one that blasts the clothes dry.

nothing like warm dry squidgy boots to start the day!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Some places have boot driers. Worth looking into when booking. Boot driers on Coronet Peak for staff were pretty poor. Decent in mid winter when the boots weren't too bad, but crap in Spring when you were soaked every day.

Advertisement