Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kinnear wins contract till the en of the season.

• 28-11-2008 1:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭

Check out www.skysports.com kinnear has won a contract with newcastle after several players called for him to have a longer term position at the club.

Just wondering about the toon army's response how well liked is he? Is he sufficient to replace keegan at least for now?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Makes sense, no point in parachuting someone else in, they've got better under Kinnear and anywhere not in the bottom three is a good season for them.

Mike

To be fair he's doing a decent job so why not. And he's from Cramlin so we should all be proud!! :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Might help stabalise things at Newcastle over the course of the rest of the season.
    But i can see things changing again managementwise if they eventually sell the club this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Anyone else not see one bit of sense in this appointment? The Newcastle managing director said Kinnears done a "fantastic job". 2 wins, 4 draws and 2 defeats from 8 is nothing to shout about, and they're still in the bottom 3.

Of course Newcastle have gotten better under Kinnear, a taxi driver could have improved the side after the turmoil they win when Keegan left. With players like Owen, Martins, Barton and Given, they would be be doing a lot better under a different manager.

If a new owner came in in the next few weeks or months, and a proven experienced manager (or even Keegan returning) came him, there would've been absolutely fine. But now, they've just bought themselves a relegation battle with the wrong man to lead them through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I think it's a good appointment tbh. What that club needs now is more stability.

I don't agree with the taxi driver comment. Kinnear did well considering he was coming in on a match to match basis. He got the team round to his way of thinking and playing to a particular plan. Any one of those "stars" could easily have told him to feck off seeing as he was only managing on an interim basis. The fact that everyone knows he's there for the season is good for all involved IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Toon fan here.

Yeah its a good appointment. We need a much stability as we can get to be honest and this will give us that. The players will feel more relaxed and confident now that Kinnear is manager till the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Charlie's gonna drop a bollock...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Fully deserved, and a rare good decision from the Newcastle board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Fair play to Kinnear, its one of the best decisions Newcastle football club has made this season..Why pay out huge money for an over rated manger to come in when you have some with kinnears knowledge and experience of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Am glad for him the the toon. He defo deserted it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Fair play to Kinnear, its one of the best decisions Newcastle football club has made this season..Why pay out huge money for an over rated manger to come in when you have some with kinnears knowledge and experience of the game.

thats actually a better point than I think you realise, or maybe you do:) the reason being, is that Kinnear has shown thus far that he has some pedigree (time to go yet, but thus far). Kinnear is someone with something to prove. he hasn't had a job since Forest, and his reputation seemed tarnished after it. this job will mean so much to Kinnear, even if he is let go in the summer, how he performs may open doors for him elsewhere. I don't think there would be many out there better than him with such things on the line. He has to succeed, so I'm sure he'll have his heart and soul in the job. Maybe Allardyce and Souness could be similar as far as reputation is concerned.. Hmm pattern anyone:) Anyway, hope he does well, always fond of him since he did a spell on the RTE world cup panel.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

ever since his first Newcastle press conference Kinnear is a new hero for me (always kinda liked him anyway tbh cos of his irish links and being a minor crazy gang fan). I mean what a way to start a press conference "who's (insetr Journo's name)?" I am, "Your a cnut!"... what a man.

Makes sense to give him the contract, he has been made earn it imo but still cant be expected to be kept if new owners come in. However i def think he will get another job after as he has steadied the ship well, made newcastle look like a team I wouldent expect to be in a relegation fight at the end of the year and shown a real passion for management IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

:mad::mad::(:(:(:(:D:mad::mad::mad::(:eek::eek::confused:

That just about sums up how I feel.

Kinnear as a manager does nothing for me. Plays sh/te football, his tactics are 4-4-2 and nothing else, and his ability to change a game ranges form 0-none. However, if we call a spade a spade, and admit that we are in the gutter, then it is hard to turn one's nose up at Kinnear.

The thing that pains me most about this is that it ist he clearest indication that Mike Ashely couldn't be arsed to sell the club. :mad: That in itself puts us in a horrible situation. Contracts for Owen, Harper etc dwindling, a sell to buy policy, and a line of communication that is almost non existent between club and fan.

People can laugh and scoff, but give me Keegan, and an owner who doesn't meddle and just gets on with things (e.g. Steve Gibson), and I give you an army of 52,000+ who are happy campers. For all the sh/te that is written about us as a set of fans, we really demand little. We just want to see football played the right way, and some semblance of progress.

Mike Ashley, I fcukin hope you choke on your next dinner you ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

:mad::mad::(:(:(:(:D:mad::mad::mad::(:eek::eek::confused:

That just about sums up how I feel.

Kinnear as a manager does nothing for me. Plays sh/te football, his tactics are 4-4-2 and nothing else, and his ability to change a game ranges form 0-none. However, if we call a spade a spade, and admit that we are in the gutter, then it is hard to turn one's nose up at Kinnear.

The thing that pains me most about this is that it ist he clearest indication that Mike Ashely couldn't be arsed to sell the club. :mad: That in itself puts us in a horrible situation. Contracts for Owen, Harper etc dwindling, a sell to buy policy, and a line of communication that is almost non existent between club and fan.

People can laugh and scoff, but give me Keegan, and an owner who doesn't meddle and just gets on with things (e.g. Steve Gibson), and I give you an army of 52,000+ who are happy campers. For all the sh/te that is written about us as a set of fans, we really demand little. We just want to see football played the right way, and some semblance of progress.

Mike Ashley, I fcukin hope you choke on your next dinner you ****.

What a huge steaming load of sh.ite. Kinnear has come in to a team who were in freefall and has managed to get some decent results, despite the fact that he has a fairly poor squad to choose from.

The suggestion that Ashley can't somehow be ar.sed to sell the club is pure nonsense. He has literally millions of pounds at stake with Newcastle. Fundamentally, he is a guy who has made an awful lot of money from his businesses performing. The fact that he is apparently unwilling to sell the club is also balls. He obviously can't get the price that he wants so is willing to sit tight. With a manager in charge who has proven that he has the ability to keep them up, why would he sell for peanuts?

But fundamentally it's the "bring Keegan back" idea that gets me the most.

Keegan was a great player, but is a liability as a manager. Feck all success, apart from getting them out of the Championship. Appears to me that you guys would be happy losing 6-5 every other week, rather than being a team that does well.

Newcastle fans, make the choice. Decent football or actually doing well as a club. I didn't hear too many Arsenal fans complaining during the George Graham era of winning ugly every other week.

The so called "army" of 52,000 means nothing. 52,000 people who regularly demand excellence but are happy with mediocrity. I think you guys could easily get 40,000+ in the Championship. By playing total football, I presume you would all be delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Mezcita wrote: »
    What a huge steaming load of sh.ite. Kinnear has come in to a team who were in freefall and has managed to get some decent results, despite the fact that he has a fairly poor squad to choose from.

Thank you for your opening line. I can tell rapidly how this will descend, and the mindset you implore, But sure I will give it a shot anyways.

To address your first point; the record under Kinnear is below par to say the least. Most managers worth their salt could have achieved, at the very minimum, what he has. Most though would have employed some form of tactics. Most would have known that Claudio Cacapa is a big no no. Most would have given Charlie N'Zog a run out. Most would have realised that long ball to Oba Martins and Michael Owen is a fruitless exercise. I could go on. But I have a feeling that you are of the 'you's should count yourselves lucky to have Kinnear' brigade.

Don't get me wrong. With the farce that surrounds us, we probably couldn't attract much better. But that in of itself is not a pass for Kinnear to escape criticism.
    The suggestion that Ashley can't somehow be ar.sed to sell the club is pure nonsense. He has literally millions of pounds at stake with Newcastle. Fundamentally, he is a guy who has made an awful lot of money from his businesses performing. The fact that he is apparently unwilling to sell the club is also balls. He obviously can't get the price that he wants so is willing to sit tight.

Forgive me if I don't take Mike Ashley on face value. He is the bloke who released statement after statement during the debacle with Keegan, stating that the club was 100% committed to resolving the situation, and keeping Kev on board, whilst all the time he was on a mega pissup in New York, and couldn't even be arsed to fly back and get his hands dirty. He is the man who has shafted 35,000+ who signed up to 3 year season tickets, on the assumption that some money would be invested in the squad, and that Keegan could get on with things. He is the man who has told numerous buyers, including the ADUG, who now own City, to bog off because they wouldn't grease him a healthy profit for the sale of the club, for which he of course deserves after his mighty stewardship. :rolleyes:

Finally, he is the man who saw fit to employ Dennis Wise as a DOF. That in itself speaks volumes.

So again, forgive me if I don't trust this con artist.

Regarding the point on him making millions in business. Countless money men have proven that success in one field rarely translates to success in another. Dave Whelan will tell you that.
    But fundamentally it's the "bring Keegan back" idea that gets me the most.

Keegan was a great player, but is a liability as a manager. Feck all success, apart from getting them out of the Championship.

Define success? What has David Moyes won? or Martin O'Neill (in the English football), disregarding the tin pot cup.

This is the thing that irks me the most. People totally misunderstand Keegan, and our loyalty to him. He is the man who rescued us from the clutches of third tier football, and brought us within a whisker of winning the Premier League, and in doing so, established us a top tier team, bringing with it a new stadium, and a new outlook. Few other managers have done what Keegan did in terms of transforming a club, in all respects.

He was the man who came back last season, strung results together with a depleted and demoralised squad, and kept us up.

13 weeks isn't that far away. Do people forget the side Keegan put out at Old Trafford, which many would consider the unlucky of the two teams not to walk away with the 3 pts on the day.

Keegan is not the be all and end all of management. But for Newcastle United, there are few others who are better suited (and available) to come into us and get things going again. I have made this point a 1000 times on this board; Keegan isn't the best the manager in Europe, not by a long shot. But there are few other managers in Europe that are better suited to take us forward in the next few years. And by that I don't mean top 4 or challenging for the league, but incremental progress, which will see us back in the Uefa cup spots, and regaining the ground we threw away to the likes of Everton, Pompey, Villa etc.
    Appears to me that you guys would be happy losing 6-5 every other week, rather than being a team that does well.

Of course we do. :rolleyes: Cop the fcuk on. This has to be one of the biggest myths going. Why is it that that entertaining football somehow has to correlate with defensive naivety. Look at Keegans's record last season. He had a run of clean sheets/lowest goals conceded, that no other Newcastle manager has seen in a long time. Passing well, and retaining the ball generally goes a long way in terns of keeping the goals (conceded) down
    Newcastle fans, make the choice. Decent football or actually doing well as a club. I didn't hear too many Arsenal fans complaining during the George Graham era of winning ugly every other week.

Again, why do the two have to be polar opposites. I am sure Sir Alex would disagree.
    The so called "army" of 52,000 means nothing. 52,000 people who regularly demand excellence but are happy with mediocrity. I think you guys could easily get 40,000+ in the Championship. By playing total football, I presume you would all be delighted.

What does that even mean :confused: I am a football fan like any other. Is it such a sin that I want to see my side pass the ball well, and try and win a game? Again, playing well seems to have gotten muddled with doing badly.
    I think you guys could easily get 40,000+ in the Championship. By playing total football, I presume you would all be delighted.

Again. I fail to understand your point. If you are trying to have a pop at the fact that we would support our team, irrespective of their league standing, then good man. If you are trying to scoff at the fact that playing decent football is in no way the route out of the championship, I think you should check your tracking mate, as it seems to have done the job for many a manger over the last 20 yrs.

/phhheeeeewwwwwwww, end rant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

newcastle hve gone from challenging to survivors very very quickly.

but the PL is boring and we should be watching La Liga if thats where we want quality.
    i also heard that perseus finally beat that minotaur. bout bloody time

Advertisement