Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

TCO

Options
  • 28-11-2008 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭

I'm curious as to how much the total cost of ownership for a car (anually) varies among different ages and models of car.

96 Golf 1.6 Petrol
    I'm 24 with 1 year NCB
    About 10,000 miles in the last year.

Insurance: 1000
    Tax: 420
    Fuel: 1200
    Depreciation: ? car's market value is pretty much nil
    Maintenance: 500 (this is an average - some years will be more expensive than others due to long-term maintenance items- NCT, timing belts etc..)

Total €3,120 - 31c per mile or which 12 cent is fuel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

I'm curious as to how much the total cost of ownership for a car (anually) varies among different ages and models of car.

96 Golf 1.6 Petrol
    I'm 24 with 1 year NCB
    About 10,000 miles in the last year.

Fuel: 650
    Depreciation: ? car's market value is pretty much nil
    Maintenance: 500 (this is an average - some years will be more expensive than others due to long-term maintenance items- NCT, timing belts etc..)

Total €2,600 - 26c per mile or which 6.5 cent is fuel.

The Irish Times had an article recently on the cost of ownership, calculated by a fleet management company. This only covers newer cars, though.

I'd imagine the TCO of an older car is much more variable due to the increased chance of something major going wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You are underestimating the amout of fuel you will use. Allow at least 1000 euro and also add a little to the maintenance figure for tyres etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

mickdw wrote: »
    You are underestimating the amout of fuel you will use. Allow at least 1000 euro and also add a little to the maintenance figure for tyres etc.
    You're quite right, thanks. Fuel usage is actually more like 1,200.

Anybody else want to throw up some figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

You're quite right, thanks. Fuel usage is actually more like 1,200.

Anybody else want to throw up some figures?

Not really - putting them together and realising how much the car had cost would scare the beejebus out of me :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

My car will probably depreciate by about 3,000 euro.

Fuel: 1200
    Depreciation: 3,000
    Maintenance: 700

Total: 6320

I agree with R.O.R. I think this thread should be deleted :D

• Advertisement

Audi A5

25000 miles/year

€7500 approx depreciation
    €4000+ petrol
    €800 insurance
    €430 tax
    €800 tyres
    €300 servicing

55c/mile @ 25000 miles = €13,800

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Audi A5
    €800 tyres
    Yikes, I see what you mean! Fortunately, mine are 40 bucks a corner :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

I'll have to agree with the others, this thread should go - but just make myself feel worse...

Golf Plus (06)

15000 miles/year

€3000 approx depreciation
    €2500+ petrol
    €400 insurance
    €420 tax
    €300 tyres (I've taken an average, €100 a corner - front tyres last a little more than 15k, and the back last over 30k)
    €300 servicing

€6,820 / 15,000 = 45 c/mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

Audi A5

25000 miles/year

€7500 approx depreciation
    €4000+ petrol
    €800 insurance
    €430 tax
    €800 tyres
    €300 servicing

55c/mile @ 25000 miles = €13,800
    very nice car!

You have left out the cost of capital. Your car cost around 50K. If you used your own cash then you have foregone the 5% you could have got by leaving the money on deposit. If you borrowed the money then you are likely paying more than 5% so a few thousand in interest costs.

I make allowance for occasional damage. Has cost me about 150 per year over the past 5 years for fixing scrapes and dents caused by car park cowards and vandals.

Do you wash your own car? add more money if not. I'd say you're at 16K or 64c/mile

Yikes, I see what you mean! Fortunately, mine are 40 bucks a corner :D

I wont buy expensive tyres but reasonable ones are €100 to €150 each and will need 2 sets for 25000 miles (on the front at least). The ones on it from factory are about €300 a corner!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

To really get down to the nitty gritty you need to include everything

Car parking costs, cleaning cost, minor accidents and dents ,Hire purchase costs and all the rest . The results are generaly bad for for older cars and even more bad for newwer cars if thtye are small and extremly bad for meduim and large cars

For small older cars low milage 5 to 10 years old I figure its best case about ~E0.50c per mile when everythtning is factored in .

Its very easy with slightly new cars or older meduim sized cars to get to E1 per mile .
    After that figures of E2 a mile are easy peasy for newwer cars with deprecation

Example a new car 2006 say E30,000 sold in 2008 would be lucky to get E15,000 with the present credit crunch.
    Assume 10K per year thats E0.50c a mile before we factor in fuel insurance etc so expect ! eoro per mile easy.If the car only did low milage say 5000 miles per year we could find that it easily goes to E1.00 euro per mile before we factor in the other factors

CIE bus and taxi negosating with taxi the fare will often over work out cheaper than owning a car

As I said when I lived and worked in germany I was the happiest ercedez benz owner ever hey TAXI and all taxi there were mercs and it dropped me to the door of the pub where I could drink all I wanted

Even renting a car isnt that much> if you rent buy the month and dont rent in peak time August and Christmas figures of 20 euros a day including insurance but not fuel makes for small cars ~6300 a year for a 10.5 month year

My brother rented for 10 months before he bought a car and it was cheaper than the deprection he got from a new Hyundia Traplet 7 seater thingy probaly lost 15,000 deprecation in the last two years

Derry

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

'98 Fiesta 1.3 LX

Bought it 2 years ago for €2500 cash.
    I drive about 6,000 miles a year

€500 depreciation
    €1000 petrol (assuming about 30MPG, which is what it does around town :( )
    €900 insurance
    €298 tax
    €40 tyres (assuming they last about 4 years)
    €550 maintenance (quite askew as i broke the steering rack and fixed a few small things last year, and there was a lot of suspension work done this year which should be good for at least another 5 years or so)
    €20 misc. consumables (bulbs, wiper blades, oil etc.) and cleaning stuff

€3310 / 6000 = 55c per mile... same as mickdw! :eek: But I don't have any loan to repay (well, I do but that's from other things :D)
    Hopefully maintenance costs should go down a lot (it's about €70 for a normal service), same goes for insurance (first year was €2300 for TPFT, full license + fully comp now), and depreciation should pretty much stop in 2 years time assuming the any car with an NCT is worth €500 rule.

Advertisement