Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco

Options
  • 28-11-2008 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

Anyone find this store more expensive lately?????

For one dvds are now €21.90

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There was an article in the Irish Times recently (probably in the Pricewatch section) mentioning this also, and it's been a common topic in this forum recently.

Personally, I haven't noticed that much as I've been working abroad for 5 days a week for the last 6 months - but I'll keep an eye out once I return to Ireland full-time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

to be fair why would anybody buy dvd's in tesco?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Jaysoose wrote: »
    to be fair why would anybody buy dvd's in tesco?
    Because they used to be cheaper than in many high street stores? Other than that, why wouldn't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Other than that, why wouldn't they?

Eh, because they're now no longer cheaper. As has been said in other forums, if something somewhere is too expensive, go elsewhere. Simple as.

For years I'd never buy a CD from HMV, now they're not too bad compared to what they used to be. I didn't raise a thread about it though, just went elsewhere or online.
    Same as I wouldn't do a weekly shop in the local Spar, too expensive compared to Dunnes or Tesco. But I didn't raise a thread on it, just went elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/1127/1227699548601.html
    Meanwhile, Tesco Ireland has rejected claims by some suppliers and customers that it has increased prices across a range of products in the last two months.
    A spokesman dismissed a report in the industry newsletter Retail Intelligence that Tesco had increased the prices of "significant numbers" of branded products at a time when commodity prices were falling and suppliers were under pressure to reduce their prices. While some products had increased in price in other retailers, many were up in Tesco alone, it claimed.
    "On one hand they are squeezing us for more price cuts, and saying that it is the suppliers' fault that prices in Ireland are too high, and then they turn around and put up the prices in their stores. It is unjustified," said one supplier quoted by Retail Intelligence .
    Separately, a number of customers have also contacted The Irish Times with their concerns over price trends.
    However, the Tesco spokesman said the company had reduced thousands of prices this year. While there were "fluctuations" the general trend was downwards.
    Price wars
    A NUMBER of readers have got in touch to say that prices have been increased in their local Tesco stores.
    Darragh from Rathfarnham said "practically everything" had gone up, and he cited examples such as Dove shower gel, Gillette fusion razors, Sanex shower gel, Actimel yogurt drinks, McCain micro chips and Tesco orange juice.
    Another reader gave the example of a side of smoked salmon which, she said, has gone up €3 since Christmas last year from €12.99 to €15.99.
    Other staples which appear to have risen in price in the past six weeks include Flora margarine, Maxwell House coffee and Santa Rita wine.
    However, a spokesman for Tesco Ireland said the company had reduced over 9,000 prices this year and was committed to "continuing with the lowest prices and to running the best promotions in Ireland".
    He instanced price drops over the past few weeks for leading products such as Andrex toilet paper, potatoes, HB ice cream and Imperial Leather soap.
    Of the products mentioned by our reader, he said the price of Sanex had fallen while there was no change in the price of Dove and Tesco orange juice.

Its not just DVDs that have risen in price

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Peewee_lane

Its disgraceful. One weeks shop in Tescos could cost me up to €150.

I've been going to Newry since June. Every three weeks, I get three weeks worth of food for around €160-180. Its amazing that I spend what I would have spent weekly down here, up there every 3 weeks.

Boo, hiss... down with that sort of thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

Yes I noticed that too. The special offer on two packs actimel is gone for one

But seeing as I have vouchers for €10 off when I spend €30 (33% off) each week since the new building in Maynooth opened (and I have some 3 more for coming weeks), I will continue to shop there. So I suppose the OP is paying for my €10 with the expensive DVDs. TY

Boo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Eh, because they're now no longer cheaper. As has been said in other forums, if something somewhere is too expensive, go elsewhere. Simple as.
    Yes, hence the "other than that"...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055424764

The prices wouldn't be what they are if people weren't paying them, so saying a price is "disgraceful" is pretty stupid

Meh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

Yes, hence the "other than that"...
    Yes exactly. But there is not too much choice here south. I hate dunnes. Eurospar are robbers. Lidl are ok but limited in selection.

Note: I have edited my last post.

Boo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

also, lol @ people still buying DVDs

also, lol @ people still buying DVDs

Yeah! Come to think of it, me too!

But maybe the DVD is for his/her granny...

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

They've def put up their prices in Rathmines since last week! I buy very little in there, maybe 5-6 items most weeks and 3 of them had gone up in price!
    85c gone up to 99c
    29c up to 49c etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I've noticed that people who buy Rennies have to pay almost 17% more for the privilege. Dunnes are still selling them at the old price. You need these things after you eat the value foods from most super-markets.

Advertisement