Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MVP

• 28-11-2008 1:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭

Vote for who you think should win the MVP

Who should be the league MVP 21 votes

Drew Brees
    0%
    Peyton Manning
    52%
    SamuraimikemacFunkyzeitjdivisionPeyton Manningthemont85Sea DevilsRichTeaReacherCreaturejamsieboy86Kevin11 11 votes
    Kurt Warner
    4%
    Arthur Daley 1 vote
    John Abraham
    33%
    dougalraven136evil_seedLuckyLloydRoyal SeahawkTheHeadhunterfaulk28 7 votes
    Clinton Portis
    4%
    Gelio 1 vote
    Adrian Peterson
    0%
    Thomas Jones
    4%
    heyjude 1 vote
    Other (Please State)
    0%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

I voted other as right now its too early to tell and I don't think any of the above should get it. One name for me is Michael Turner would be up there he has helped Atlanta along with Matt Ryan turn the Falcons around. I don't know though so many guys out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭faulk28

John Abraham
    I'm going Kurt Warner. Very impressed with him so far this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Peyton Manning
    Peterson? Jones? John Abraham? Not even close to getting in the running. Michael Turner, Albert Haynesworth should be up there, maybe Kris Jenkins, DeMarcus Ware and Joey Porter too if we're looking at candidates on defence. Brees the man, receivers all missed a lot of time, injuries in the backfield, missing some of his o line. Didn't miss a beat. Better than Warner in almost every statistical category and lost the ball a lot less when fumbles are taken into account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

John Abraham
    I know theres a long way to go. Thats why the names i put are fairly random. No matter who i put people are going to say what about whoever.
    There are guys abraham, peterson who will be in the reckoning if their teams win their divisions (maybe turner over abraham).
    i think warner over brees, due to the simple fact that the cards will make the playoffs, maybe even no.2 seed. saints wont. brees for offensive player of the year, hands down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Peyton Manning
    Peyton Manning without a doubt!

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The MVP should be the player that makes the biggest difference to his team.

In that respect, Brett Favre should be MVP (every year).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Peyton Manning
    I went with Brees because of his astonishing numbers with so many WRs out.

Farve has had a massive effect on the Jets too along with Turner at the Falcons.

Who does everyone think will get rookie of the year?-for me its between Matt Ryan(Falcons), Matt Forte(Bears) and Mao(Pats).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Peyton manning shouldnt be there, his team wont even win their division.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Brees' numbers are nothing if the Saint's don't make the playoff. He can't be MVP if his team don't make the playoff's.
    To be honest, I'll be making my call nearer the end of the season, there's a lot of Football to be played, and as Warner showed us last night, anything can happen (I would have chosen him as my front-runner until recently).
    Peyton Manning without a doubt!
    Don't underestimate some of the Plays Manning has made this season. On top of the fact he'll probably end up with over 4,000 yards and 30 TD's. No, I'm not saying he'll win it, but the Colts should be dead and buried now (30th in the NFL for rushing; and 25th against the run), considering Colts look good for a playoff berth, and offensively it's all been through Manning, it's a pretty decent display. Manning makes plays other QB's can't, or don't, when it counts.

Peyton manning shouldnt be there, his team wont even win their division.

So by your reckoning, that leaves Warner and maybe Thomas Jones, as valid candidates on the above list?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,394 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

John Abraham
    Pherekydes wrote: »
    The MVP should be the player that makes the biggest difference to his team.

In that respect, Brett Favre should be MVP (every year).
    themont85 wrote: »
    Farve has had a massive effect on the Jets too along with Turner at the Falcons.

Eh lads, this is just wrong. The Jets have been better in the last few weeks because we have balanced the offensive gameplan away from Favre in the shotgun. And instead looked to Thomas Jones to pound it on first and second down and leave Favre with a shortened field to work with. Last summer, the Jets spent a lot of money upgrading the defensive and offensive lines so that we could be a tough, grind the clock out team with a solid mistake free game manager (Pennington) at the quarterback position. As we have remembered that this was supposed to be our identity, we have profited.

Favre is not our Most Valuable player because if you swapped him for what we had last season (Pennington) we still have seven or eight wins right now. However, if you swapped Kris Jenkins for Dewayne Robertson at Nose Tackle then we would be in the toilet again this year getting destroyed regularly because we can't stop the run. He is our MVP, not Favre.

As for the league? Right now Kurt Warner is the frontrunner. They are headed to a winning record and the playoffs almost entirely on the back of the numbers they are producing in the passing game. And, while I know that Warner is spoiled given the quality of his targets, Boldin and Fitzgerald have been there for a few years now. The difference is this year Warner is not turning over the ball, is taking the hits and asking for more - and is ultimately bringing a bit of belief that they can knock out the games they are supposed to.

Tallaghtoutlaws is right in that there is a while to go before we can be sure - but Warner is the man to beat right now.

davyjose wrote: »
    So by your reckoning, that leaves Warner and maybe Thomas Jones, as valid candidates on the above list?

No. I'd count it as a player who has performances has helped drastically improve his team(Turners, Falcons) or a player whos performed brilliantly despite his teams poor performance(Brees, Saints). What has Manning done thats been so brilliant?

His QB rating has him 15th. Brees is 3rd, Kurt Warner is 4th.

Brees and warner have a higher completetion %. Warner has nearly 1,000 more yards, Bress has about 700 , more TDs etc. I see no reason for Manning to be even considered.

What has Manning done thats been so brilliant?

Read my first post.

I don't think Manning is the league MVP (although we're only 2/3 through the season). But I certainly wouldn't choose 14 other QB's before him, if I were picking a team tomorrow.

I don't think Manning is the league MVP (although we're only 2/3 through the season). But I certainly wouldn't choose 14 other QB's before him, if I were picking a team tomorrow.

Thats fair enough.

Peyton Manning
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Eh lads, this is just wrong. The Jets have been better in the last few weeks because we have balanced the offensive gameplan away from Favre in the shotgun. And instead looked to Thomas Jones to pound it on first and second down and leave Favre with a shortened field to work with. Last summer, the Jets spent a lot of money upgrading the defensive and offensive lines so that we could be a tough, grind the clock out team with a solid mistake free game manager (Pennington) at the quarterback position. As we have remembered that this was supposed to be our identity, we have profited.

Favre is not our Most Valuable player because if you swapped him for what we had last season (Pennington) we still have seven or eight wins right now. However, if you swapped Kris Jenkins for Dewayne Robertson at Nose Tackle then we would be in the toilet again this year getting destroyed regularly because we can't stop the run. He is our MVP, not Favre.

As for the league? Right now Kurt Warner is the frontrunner. They are headed to a winning record and the playoffs almost entirely on the back of the numbers they are producing in the passing game. And, while I know that Warner is spoiled given the quality of his targets, Boldin and Fitzgerald have been there for a few years now. The difference is this year Warner is not turning over the ball, is taking the hits and asking for more - and is ultimately bringing a bit of belief that they can knock out the games they are supposed to.

Tallaghtoutlaws is right in that there is a while to go before we can be sure - but Warner is the man to beat right now.

Very good points which i agree with. Upgrading their line in the off season really helped and Pennington would probably have got them into playoff contention too. But Farve has definately imo had a great effect on the team. A guy like him gives and intangible benefit to the team overall.

John Abraham
    themont85 wrote: »
    Very good points which i agree with. Upgrading their line in the off season really helped and Pennington would probably have got them into playoff contention too. But Farve has definately imo had a great effect on the team. A guy like him gives and intangible benefit to the team overall.

Let's be clear on this. Statistically, Pennington is having a much better year than Favre. And I think that everyone in the league would agree that Jets Receiving targets > Dolphin's Receiving targets.

the stats that matter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

In fairness though, player's aren't just the numbers they put up. Pennington was stagnating in New York (New Jersey...) and having to prove himself all over again revitalised his game. Conversely, getting a guy called Brett Favre started all sorts of momentum going for the Jets, even though Kris Jenkins is probably their MVP and other people (TJ, O-line) stepping up made as much of a difference for them. Intangibles. Such as that fabled abiility to make 3rd/4th and anything with five men hanging off him.

I don't think either are legitimate league MVP choices though. I'd have to wait to see who made the playoffs, but Portis, Peterson, Warner would be the names I'd have on the shortlist.

John Abraham
    Karlusss wrote: »
    In fairness though, player's aren't just the numbers they put up. Pennington was stagnating in New York (New Jersey...) and having to prove himself all over again revitalised his game. Conversely, getting a guy called Brett Favre started all sorts of momentum going for the Jets, even though Kris Jenkins is probably their MVP and other people (TJ, O-line) stepping up made as much of a difference for them. Intangibles. Such as that fabled abiility to make 3rd/4th and anything with five men hanging off him.

No, I'm sorry. Talk of 'intangibles' doesn't make up for such a significant difference in the statlines. Especially when Favre has made few pressure plays that have directly led to victories. The 'intangibles' we have gotten off Favre have instead been silly picks or pick sixes off blind 'chuck it up there' passes. When I watch the Jets I'm constantly screaming for them to run it on first and second down, on third and short.

It's nice that people buy into the hype though. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

John Abraham
    Anyone else think that Brandon Jacobs might be a dark horse??

John Abraham

He's a wide receiver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Kurt Warner

yes, it's a name that comes to mind. He's been fairly pounding defences these last few weeks.

Peyton Manning
    No, I'm sorry. Talk of 'intangibles' doesn't make up for such a significant difference in the statlines. Especially when Favre has made few pressure plays that have directly led to victories. The 'intangibles' we have gotten off Favre have instead been silly picks or pick sixes off blind 'chuck it up there' passes. When I watch the Jets I'm constantly screaming for them to run it on first and second down, on third and short.

It's nice that people buy into the hype though. :rolleyes:

When i said Farve has a had a huge effect on the team i should have also mentioned the O line and D like you've said. A great reason why the Jets have been succesful has been that they have got production from TJ. Last year, they got little really in return for their investment imo. But why has he improved this year, the O line certaintly is the biggest factor but for opposing defences having a guy like Farve rather than Pennington makes you think twice. The Jets last year came in with Pennington at QB as a run offence really. Farve opens up defences, he is a better passer than Pennington. Pennington is a good QB, and has improved a shocking team from its shoddy state last year.

The Jets and Farve have improved from their first few games as he has got a grip of the offence. Clearly Farve is not a magician but i still think that while my post probably gave the impression that i believed he was the sole reason for their success(i didn't mean it to come accross that way), I still think you are understating his importance.

BTW Farve has a slightly better QB rating than Pennington on nfl.com, comparing 94 to 93-both are having excellent seasons imo when you consider they are both in new offenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Brees for me if he makes the play offs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

He's a wide receiver.

Brandon Jacobs a WR?? Tis one big ass WR :p Nope he be a RB :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

John Abraham

Very true. I just think he's having an amazing season. Two big linebackers can barely drag him down, i just think the guy is unreal this year.

Don't underestimate some of the Plays Manning has made this season. On top of the fact he'll probably end up with over 4,000 yards and 30 TD's. No, I'm not saying he'll win it, but the Colts should be dead and buried now (30th in the NFL for rushing; and 25th against the run), considering Colts look good for a playoff berth, and offensively it's all been through Manning, it's a pretty decent display. Manning makes plays other QB's can't, or don't, when it counts.

Eh, yeah .... I meant Eli <runs away quickly>

:o

John Abraham
    He's a wide receiver.

1191664289385zp9.jpg
    Very true. I just think he's having an amazing season. Two big linebackers can barely drag him down, i just think the guy is unreal this year.

lolz!! For some reason I read (and thought) that you meant Brandon Marshall:

xin_272110420154982827421.jpg

And wide receivers don't win MVP awards.

:o

Brandon-Jacbos-Photograph-C12886611.jpeg

Anyway, this guy has 910 total yards from scrimmage thus far this year. The last two RBs to win MVP (LT and Shaun Alexander) ended up with ~1950 yards from scrimmage total at the end of the year with heaps of TDs.

As such, it is highly unlikely Jacobs gets in the conversation at this stage.

John Abraham
    Also, Brees threw himself out of contention today.

Advertisement