Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

01 Alfa Romeo 156 Issue

Options
  • 28-11-2008 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi all,

Issue with a dealer on timing belt.

Unfortunately this went last week on my sister. She had to get car towed and got it towed to my local mechanic. It sat there for 3 days as the head mechanic in dealership was not there and the acting service manager said they would charge 150 plus VAT(for quote on damage) plus 80 euros to get it towed to their gargage(which was 2 miles from where car was!)

The service manager advised that the timing belt tensioner went on this and this should not have happened and they would not charge for looking at car. So three days later they look at car -the manager had already told sister car was with them from ther day before!

He advised would have to contact Alfa in Dublin. He got back to her the next day and said that because the timing belt was changed 22 months ago they would only cover this for 12 months, the belt was last changed 22 months ago by the dealer when my sister bought the car. This tensioner was also replaced as part of timinmg belt change.

I believe this is wrong as the part broke and should be covered, she is facing a bill of 1,000-1500 for a fault with a part that was not her fault.

Im going down to rais hell there as I think this is not right.

Ive spoken to a number of Alfa owners who have had the same issue and seen this issue on the web

Any help/advice would be great
    Thanks
    Noel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Probably get a better/more suitable response in the Motors forum

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

12 months warrenty on parts and labour is about right, this would be standard procedure with most/all garages and parts suppliers. There are any number of variable that could have lead to that tensioner/engine commiting mechanical susicide. Sorry but you have no case here
    Sucks being your sister !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

petrol or diesel - on the petrol the timing belt should be changed every 36k miles. What sort of mileage was your sister doing ?

BTW broken timing belt usually equals broken engine and large expense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 jbree

This model is nothing but trouble, I had the same prob, I think, car broke down, brought it to my local mechanic, a MONTH later I got the car back along with a bill for £1200... the timing is still off and now it will hardly go in 1st gear is soo soo slow, I really wouldn't advice her tyo get it fixed, best to look for another car.. It will be a real torture, or if she does get it fixed sell it ASAP they are a complete torture of a car..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

jbree wrote: »
    This model is nothing but trouble, I had the same prob, I think, car broke down, brought it to my local mechanic, a MONTH later I got the car back along with a bill for £1200... the timing is still off and now it will hardly go in 1st gear is soo soo slow, I really wouldn't advice her tyo get it fixed, best to look for another car.. It will be a real torture, or if she does get it fixed sell it ASAP they are a complete torture of a car..

I'd be highly dubious about your mechanic. A well maintained 156 is a joy. I've put over 100,000 miles on mine (my second). How often do you monitor your oil, change your belts, etc.
    Sounds a little bit like; I didn't maintain my car, brought it to a mechanic who can't set the timing right so, therefore, all cars of this type are crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 jbree

Nah cjt156, looked after the car well, oil checked regulary, (by me da) honestly I loved the car when I got it, the power was fantastic and its a lovely looking car , went well for approx 6 months then it was problem after problem, needless to say I dont use that mechanic anymore.. Have bought a new car now, my alfa was to go to the garage tonight to get sorted to sell but it was too slippy to get her up the hill with the lack of power.. Im very jealous that yours goes like a dream, I hate getting rid of mine but have no option..

Advertisement