Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My NCT failed for the same thing as last time

Options
  • 28-11-2008 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi,
    I have an old car and put it through the NCT today. It failed on one of the ball bearings on the front.

Two years ago when I had my last NCT the car failed on the same thing so I replaced the ball bearing which was expensive.

All the other bearings are fine....just this one.

Do you think I just got a faulty bearing or is there something else which could be putting too much strain on it causing it to wear prematurely?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

In 2004 my car failed the NCT twice because of bearings. So I din't even bother putting it through a third time.

In 2008, 4 years and 30k miles later, and not one attempt to fix the problem, it sails through with flying colours.

The NCT is a flawed money racquet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 worksolution

Phoole wrote: »
    In 2004 my car failed the NCT twice because of bearings. So I din't even bother putting it through a third time.

In 2008, 4 years and 30k miles later, and not one attempt to fix the problem, it sails through with flying colours.

The NCT is a flawed money racquet!

That's a very odd story but I know the bearing is frigged. You can hear it.

I went into the test knowing I was probably going to fail on something to do with the front suspension due to noise the last while and was surprised when it was clarified by the tester that it was the ball bearing. He was a sound bloke btw.

I never once took the thought seriously that it could be the bearing again as it's only two years old!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You mean wheel bearing, not ball bearing.
    It could be that you hub is damaged but quite likely that aeither a defective part was used or it was installed incorrectly or you drive over crappy roads and this is going to keep happening!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

As a form of protest I refuse to do the NCT. I will not pay for a scam. After many frustrating apointments at NCT centres I have learned not to bother unless I really have to.I was stoped at two checkpoints in the last couple of years where I told the Garda I refuse to do it because of their unprofessionalism and one Garda said fair enough and let me go and the second said that he could give ten days to produce a nct, so I told him I wouldnt get an appointment in ten days so he would have to just summons me to court and he said "I not asking you to produce an nct cert, Im just informing you that I can" we both smiled and I drove away...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

2qk4u wrote: »
    As a form of protest I refuse to do the NCT. I will not pay for a scam. After many frustrating apointments at NCT centres I have learned not to bother unless I really have to.I was stoped at two checkpoints in the last couple of years where I told the Garda I refuse to do it because of their unprofessionalism and one Garda said fair enough and let me go and the second said that he could give ten days to produce a nct, so I told him I wouldnt get an appointment in ten days so he would have to just summons me to court and he said "I not asking you to produce an nct cert, Im just informing you that I can" we both smiled and I drove away...

And you'll probably be the first person on here complaining when your ball joint sheers clean off and one of your front wheels passes you out on the road someday...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Darragh29 wrote: »
    And you'll probably be the first person on here complaining when your ball joint sheers clean off and one of your front wheels passes you out on the road someday...

if he's lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

OP Is it a peugeot by any chance? I know that some of the front wheel bearings on 106's are borked from the start, some kind of manufacturing fault I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

2qk4u wrote: »

Why do you think that its a scam? Whats so unprofessional about having your car tested so that it keeps YOU safe? Like anything its far from perfect but if it keeps cars in a reasonable condition whats the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

groupb wrote: »
    Why do you think that its a scam? Whats so unprofessional about having your car tested so that it keeps YOU safe? Like anything its far from perfect but if it keeps cars in a reasonable condition whats the problem?

You won't find a mechanic or a garage in the country that would put your car through that standard of a test for 49 Euro. You wouldn't even get an emissions test done for that in most outlets.

Advertisement