Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling Car with Uk plate

Options
  • 28-11-2008 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Wonder if anyone can help.

I moved over here recently and have a car back in UK, which I want to sell.

Would I be better off re-registering it over here and selling it here or would I be better selling it back in UK. Alternaitvely could I sell it over here with a UK plate.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Reregister it. Assuming it'll be VRT free cars here are more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

you can sell it here with the UK plate, but it you register it here and claim VRT exemption i think you need to keep the car for a certain length of time.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

It is illegal for an Irish National to drive a foriegn registered vecihle in Ireland so unless you are selling it to another foriegn national i would advise reregistering it!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It would have been worth your while buying an expensive car in uk when you decided you were going to move here. Depending on car you could make a saving of say 15000 euro vrt. THis would allow you free motoring in a top car for a year or two. You would need to have the car for a period of time in uk first though.
    That said, maybe you have an expensive car.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It is illegal for an Irish National to drive a foriegn registered vecihle in Ireland so unless you are selling it to another foriegn national i would advise reregistering it!

It's not illegal for an Irish national , it's illegal for anyone resident in Ireland, be they Irish or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

It's based on residency, not nationality. I'm also trying to offload an NI plate car down South.

Similar question though - should I VRT it or lower the price to incorporate the cost of VRT-ing it? I dunno if the process puts off buyers or not?

ellscurr wrote: »
    It's based on residency, not nationality. I'm also trying to offload an NI plate car down South.

Similar question though - should I VRT it or lower the price to incorporate the cost of VRT-ing it? I dunno if the process puts off buyers or not?

I think the best thing to do is advertise the car at the full price that the buyer will have to pay i.e. including the VRT but dont actually VRT it as it will be only adding an extra owner to the car etc. Then when people come to look at the car explain that they only have to pay you "x amount" of the advertised price and the rest is to be paid in VRT.

I would also offer to help them out with getting it VRT'd as not everybody understands the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I think the best thing to do is advertise the car at the full price that the buyer will have to pay i.e. including the VRT but dont actually VRT it as it will be only adding an extra owner to the car etc. Then when people come to look at the car explain that they only have to pay you "x amount" of the advertised price and the rest is to be paid in VRT.

That's what I've done so far but I know people balk at the amount of yellow regs on carzone and the like. I've put the price including VRT and stated it includes the cost of doing the VRT themselves. I'm happy enough to head down the VRO with them to get it all fixed up (worked there one Summer!). Wish me luck.

ellscurr wrote: »
    That's what I've done so far but I know people balk at the amount of yellow regs on carzone and the like. I've put the price including VRT and stated it includes the cost of doing the VRT themselves. I'm happy enough to head down the VRO with them to get it all fixed up (worked there one Summer!). Wish me luck.

Good luck with it anyway its not easy selling a car at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

you can sell it here with the UK plate, but it you register it here and claim VRT exemption i think you need to keep the car for a certain length of time.

I believe you have to keep it for 6 months or the new owner is liable for the VRT

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote: »
    It's not illegal for an Irish national , it's illegal for anyone resident in Ireland, be they Irish or not.

No it is illegal if you are driving an foriegn reg car and you are irish. The the police can take your car off you. It is not illegal for anyone resident in Ireland to drive a foriegn reg car. If your personal ties are different from your occupational ties then you are exempt. Eg a polish bulider on an 11 month contract who brings his car over is perfectly entiled to do so and drive it over here. Also anybody from the north who lives and is resident here, but returns home regualry is also exempt. It is all about residency and excemptions but the point is unless the car is reregistered, the next person to buy it will be breaking the law unless they are a foreign nation (personal ties being different to occupational ties) or another exempt catogory of person.

No it is illegal if you are driving an foriegn reg car and you are irish..

This is not correct. If an Irish citizen has been living outside Ireland for over a year they are entitled to drive a foreign registered vehicle for at least the 6 month period until he/she becomes officially resident again. In other words an Irish person living outside the state for more than a year is treated as a non-resident until they have be back in the country again for 6 full months of a year.

This is not correct. If an Irish citizen has been living outside Ireland for over a year they are entitled to drive a foreign registered vehicle for at least the 6 month period until he/she becomes officially resident again. In other words an Irish person living outside the state for more than a year is treated as a non-resident until they have be back in the country again for 6 full months of a year.

Sorry this is correct, however unless you happen to have the proof that you have been living abroad for a year and have returned but have not been back 6 months, the guards and customs ( who have been stopping northern reg cars in Claire Hall Dublin carpark!) can take your vecihle there and then on suspision of avoiding VRT. So the point is if you are going to sell it to someone, it needs to be reregisted as whoever you sell it on to will not have had the car for six months (another criteria which would be neccessary for irish nationals who have been living abroad for a year but have not been back six months) and it is breaking the law if they drive it.

Sorry this is correct, however unless you happen to have the proof that you have been living abroad for a year and have returned but have not been back 6 months, the guards and customs ( who have been stopping northern reg cars in Claire Hall Dublin carpark!) can take your vecihle there and then on suspision of avoiding VRT. So the point is if you are going to sell it to someone, it needs to be reregisted as whoever you sell it on to will not have had the car for six months (another criteria which would be neccessary for irish nationals who have been living abroad for a year but have not been back six months) and it is breaking the law if they drive it.

The statement is not correct. It is illegal for an Irish resident to drive a foreign registered vehicle regardless of their nationality but it is not illegal for an Irish citizen to drive a foreign registered car if they are not resident. I know because im doing it at the moment after living in the UK im entitled to drive my car for 6 months before registering it here for free!

The statement is not correct. It is illegal for an Irish resident to drive a foreign registered vehicle regardless of their nationality but it is not illegal for an Irish citizen to drive a foreign registered car if they are not resident. I know because im doing it at the moment after living in the UK im entitled to drive my car for 6 months before registering it here for free!

Sorry again, I meant your statement is correct! as long as you have owned your car for 6 months prior to moving back then what you are doing is perfectly legal. Just be careful as if you are stopped and you cant prove that what you say is true, the Guards or customs can take your car!

Sorry again, I meant your statement is correct! as long as you have owned your car for 6 months prior to moving back then what you are doing is perfectly legal. Just be careful as if you are stopped and you cant prove that what you say is true, the Guards or customs can take your car!

Apologies, I re-read your previous post and I took it up wrong the first time. I was reading too fast!

Advertisement