Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Up North

Options
  • 28-11-2008 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Just been browsin thru the "Northern Ireland Shopping" thread, my god, the bargains to be had there are unreal, but are we just too far away, in Limerick, to make it worthwhile, never been up there.
    Where would be the nearest place to go, how far, how long to get there.
    I'm very tempted to go.
    Wonder if there is any bus trips organised locally, dont fancy the drive.
    We are seriously gettin ripped off down here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Just do a once up trip for christmas shopping, go up the M7 and then the M1 to northern ireland, once across the border you probably wont have to any further than Newry to get your x mass shopping, of course as you said were a good bit away (in irish terms) so id only do it once for the 'BIG' x mass shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

i'm doing this trip on mon,,and staying in hotel in dublin sun night so it wont seem so long a journey:) hotel was specail offer also,,€50 yey me,,im so excited,,we near limerick too but worth it for christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Im up the North a lot and dont bother. Im not pushed to save a few EURO here or there unless Im buying something big.

Superquinn seem to be very worried about Newry with their big banners tied to the trees on the roundabout.

Who the Fvck(excuse the language BUT) in their right mind is going to do their grocery shopping in Newry?

I bought a few bits in Sainsburys in the Quays shopping centre a few Sundays back. They ,outside of Christmas, dont bother opening until 1pm on a Sunday and close a 6pm 7 days a week. Madness.

Unless you are going to Ikea or buying a car then whats the point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Pam21

at the moment there is a 7 per cent VAT difference between the north and south which is enoromous....... If you have kids and your doing a 'santa' shop its well worth heading up especially belfast.. if you have a large family and you want to do the whole tins of biscuits and stuff i wont really bother but definetly for larger items.... the norths opening hours on a sunday are completly different to south and not many have late night shopping so if you are going best to stay in Dublin th night b4 then its only 2 hours to belfast.. or you can fly to derry from shannon .

Pam21 wrote: »
    so if you are going best to stay in Dublin th night b4 then its only 2 hours to belfast.. or you can fly to derry from shannon .

I would recommend Dundalk to stay in. Its where my office is located.

There is a nice place, very homely called the Lismar Guesthouse
    http://www.lismar.ie/

There is a nice shopping centre there as well but it will be pretty empty considering they have all gone the 20 minutes up the road to Newry. :D

There is an outlet centre called Junction One

http://www.junctionone.co.uk/home.asp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

hey sounds good few of thinking just for a change going up north plus the good sterling rate and vat will be good!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bonzer1again

Are there any uk online shops that would be willing to deliver to limerick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

I'm heading up on Friday staying with the folks for 2 nights. Do all the shopping Here http://www.rushmereshopping.com/
    The price difference is amazing compared to here. |For example stuff I pick are headache tablets Tesco own brand are 16p for a pack of 16
    Will get all the christmas stuff biscuits, choc pudding etc + clothes for half the price we pay here :D

Im just back from Superquinn who have the big sign up. Why do to Newry?

I will tell you why. Half of a small trolley of stuff for €88. I was shocked and I do not often go through the receipt afterwards. Its their mentallity of adding 10c here and there that made them more expensive.

I went to Blanchardstown yesterday and spent 7 hours getting all the Christmas presents. It was not as busy as expected because I suspect most of the Dubs went to the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I wouldn't buy anything electrical further away than Limerick, and will only use Currys if Fitzgeralds, Savins, Clancys or Finucanes don't have it.

The price differential on a TV might be 60 or 70 quid, but if something does go wrong with it, I can't imagine any chain store like Harvey Norman, Soundstore or Currys would provide a replacement while your piece is being fixed.

Worth the extra money really. Got a netbook in Currys recently, only because there isn't a local store that does them and because it couldn't be got cheaper online. I know full well that I'd be told to go stuff myself having not taken their 3 year extended warranty if something goes wrong.

They wanted €115 for the warranty, the likes of Savins and Fitzgeralds etc... don't tend to see it as an option, but something included in the package. For clothes shopping going to London etc will provide massive savings on the exact same item in places like Next.

Flying to London is probably cheaper than spending €100 on fuel to get to Newry and back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

ninty9er wrote: »
    Flying to London is probably cheaper than spending €100 on fuel to get to Newry and back.

A tank of petrol will get you up and nearly down, €45/50 at current prices for 4 in the car it's pretty cheap.

Winter coats are esp cheap, OH bought two in feb for €40 good quality winter coat and a winter jacket for going out to a pub/club etc
    and the kids clothes are very reasonable and different to whats available here
    can rig them out for about €20 for jeans/top and runners/shoes for christmas day

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Im just back from Superquinn who have the big sign up. Why do to Newry?

I will tell you why. Half of a small trolley of stuff for €88. I was shocked and I do not often go through the receipt afterwards. Its their mentallity of adding 10c here and there that made them more expensive.

I went to Blanchardstown yesterday and spent 7 hours getting all the Christmas presents. It was not as busy as expected because I suspect most of the Dubs went to the north.

So lets see, you check the prices after you purchase the goods and then blame the store for charging extra.:confused: Why not check the prices before you buy and then shop with your feet, walk out and buy where it's cheapest.

phog wrote: »
    So lets see, you check the prices after you purchase the goods and then blame the store for charging extra.:confused: Why not check the prices before you buy and then shop with your feet, walk out and buy where it's cheapest.

Foresight is better than hindsight but you didnt read my post. I said i usually expect there to a small diference in prices, superquinn was handier for me BUT it is NOT cheaper than going up the North. *sigh*

Advertisement