Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comedy Club @ Cuba (Fridays)

Options
  • 28-11-2008 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a regular at the Roisin's Laughter lounge on Wednesdays during the summer, but is the Cuba one that's now on Friday's (Used to be Sunday's) any good? At €12.50 entry it's a good bit more than the Roisin (Rosing is like 8euro if you buy online)

Doors are at 8 (or 8.30) - I presume it's the door on the right of the building that you enter in? To go straight upstairs?

Website says tickets can be bought on the door so I presume the place doesn't normally sell out and it's no prob to buy tickets on the door?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I'm a regular at the Roisin's Laughter lounge on Wednesdays during the summer, but is the Cuba one that's now on Friday's (Used to be Sunday's) any good? At €12.50 entry it's a good bit more than the Roisin (Rosing is like 8euro if you buy online)
    If thats the one where Gerry Mallon is MC, I dunno, I went in there a couple of times and he seems to have a nutcase on first to intimidate and terrify the crowd so the rest of the acts don't get heckled. I once saw one of his icebreakers pick someone at random and have him thrown out for larfs by the bouncers.

Your mileage may vary, but I don't especially feel like patronising an establishment that treats paying customers like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

OK the only way I can summarise last night's Comedy Club was absolute DISASTER, but with a happy outcome.....

Firstly, it was a tiny crowd there (Maybe 25 max). The MC himself wasn't too bad and had a bit of craic with the audience, BUT he absolutily picked on a woman who was there on her own and made a total eejit out of her - I felt sorry for her

The first lady was a total failure of a comedian and I hope she has a day job. She was a disgrace to the job, the majority of her act being racist against blacks. Unfortunately, she made a rookie mistake by not even analysing the audience before she was on stage, and didn't see that there was a black man in the audience (also on his own) - I could see the rage building up in him, she called 'All blacks rapists and murderers' - WTF like? :confused: Kodus to the black lad, he still gave her a round of applause at the end

The 2nd act was an Aussie, again, he had to use racist remarks a lot, and he absolutily took the piss out of a group of Eastern Europeans at the front of the stage "Why the **** arent you in cleaning the toilets?" etc. etc. - He was lucky it was a group of women, he'd have had the head knocked off him otherwise

So the MC comes out at the end and admits that it was a disaster of a show, so sent a sheet around and we all wrote our names on it and he said that we'd get in for free next week. So in fairness, i'm not going to make an opinion of the club after last nights show, we'll see how it goes next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Not to say I told you so or anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

It seems a bit hit and miss from what I can see.
    Aardal O Hanlon was there a few weeks ago and it was a brilliant gig. There were three or four acts on altogether, two (o hanlon and one of the newer guys) were fantastic, one (first time on stage) was decent and the other was poor.
    I was there another night and Tommy Tiernan was a "surprise guest" and another night where there were some randomers who were fantastic.
    It should get more of a crowd than the Sunday night gigs that they used to have.
    The MC (mallon) can be decent enough, I've seen him buy drinks for audience members a fair bit after excessive over abuse of them or in some cases just to get the crowd goin.
    kippy

kippy wrote: »
    The MC (mallon) can be decent enough, I've seen him buy drinks for audience members a fair bit after excessive over abuse of them or in some cases just to get the crowd goin.
    kippy

Yeah in fairness to the MC he brought out a bottle of buckie, split it into 4 glasses and gave it to 4 people in the audience :) - Legend of a thing to do imho

• Advertisement

OK well in fairness Cuba held their end of the bargain and we got in for free last night.

I'm not a critic so i'll br brief...

It was definately better than last week, but the audience numbers were tiny... again maybe only 25 people

The MC was grand, funny but not hilarious. Again, one particular person got picked on - but it was his own fault. The MC did the Buckie trick again, split a bottle between 4 people. One fella, it must have went to his head because he wouldn't shut up throughout the whole thing. Not even heckling, just general sh1te talking. He got 2 polite warnings to STFU, and eventually got kicked out - At first we were like "WTF, let him back in" but the MC explained that one of the act's couldn't even finish his piece because of the constant heckling. After the guy was kicked out, one of the act's came back out and finished his act

The first act, an American; Very hit and miss. Woulda been better with a bigger crowd, but I just don't like American humour in general

The second act, a Dublin lad was great - He wasn't 'p1ss yerself' funny, but was good and i'd pay to see him again

Now I don't know why the Comedy Club is so quiet there, but I think the main reason is the price, €12.50. Now, Cuba's argument would be that you get into the club after - fair enough. But I go to the Comedy Club on Friday because i've sh1t to do early on Sat, but I don't want to be stuck in the house Fri night... so I go to the Comedy club, have a few pints and a laugh and then go home, so for the likes of me it's too expensive. The Laughter Lounge at the Roisin is as cheap as €7.50 for members. Cuba needs to lower it's price to something more reasonable like €10. For as long as the price stay's at €12.50, I won't be going. However if prices were reduced to €10 I would predict a rise in audience attendence. Or at least introduce a membership system like the Roisin. (As I said, as cheap as €7.50 for members, or something like €10 for non members - membership is free and just a matter of signing up online) - As a result, Roisin sells out nearly every week and people have to stand because all seats are taken

Hopefully someone from Cuba will read this - I'm not putting the Comedy Club down, but the price needs to change, considering the price of drink in Cuba is crazy - It cost me €5.30 for a pint bottle of Bulmers. So 2 x €12.50 (Myself and the GF) - We'd go through about 3 x pint bottles of bulmers each so thats €15.90 x 2. So that's €56.80 for a quiet night out :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Freshly squash

I've been there a few times over the years. The biggest determining factor is the main act, I can put up with really crap support acts. I've seen quite a few diabolical acts die on their arse. One that i cant forget was Carol Toibin. Carol Toibin regularly pops up on TV nowadays and writes for the Sunday Independent, Irelands pretty small so there seems to be a lot of double jobbing in the media. Well anyways, she was absolutely shocking. It had to have been one of her first gigs, I've never seen someone so unfunny. A lot of support can be the same cliched tiolet humour.
    Generally the headliner is usually worth it, that's if they show up of course. The last two times that I went, Gerry Mallon started off the evening with the usual sob story, missed plane,broke leg etc,etc and they had been forced to get back up instead of the advertised act. The first time, Karl Spain filled in, he was okay. The second time, a fortnight later, Karl Spain again. I been back since. Mallon repeating the same jokes every week is par for the course but I don't want to pay money to accidently see Karl Spain again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

I HATE GERRY MALLON with a passion. Im sorry but he is just not funny.

The actual club itself is ok. Ive been there a few times. Have seen the likes of Joe Rooney, Ardal O Hanlon and Jason Byrne there which were good. A lot of their support acts dont seem to have a clue what they are doing though...........in saying that Gerry isnt much better,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Yeah in fairness to the MC he brought out a bottle of buckie, split it into 4 glasses and gave it to 4 people in the audience :) - Legend of a thing to do imho
    it gets old the 15th time he does it

DRakE wrote: »
    it gets old the 15th time he does it

Couldn't help but notice that the 2nd time I went there was pretty much a carbon copy of the 1st time with regards to the MC's act

Out with the bottle of buckie
    "I've slept with more people than this" (ie. tiny audience)
    He seemed to know half the audience (his friends who he prob let in for free to increase numbers) and ends up having an almost private conversation with them

As I said, won't be back for as long as the price is €12.50, bring it down to something like €8 or €9 and i'd go for the sake of doing something on a Fri night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Was in there once for Jason Byrne as the main act (and yes the MC did do the bucky thing)
    But what made the show hilarious was there was a gang of lads absolutely **** faced in there heckling all the time and eventually got the piss taken out of them by Byrne when he came on.
    Best line of his act was when people were shouting up their own one liners when he found out someone in the audience was a diver.
    "This isn't a comedy club, its more of a comedy workshop"
    Im ashamed to say I actually knew the gang of lads though :pac:

Al in all I enjoyed the one time I was there, dunno if I'd go there if it wasnt someone semi-famous

did he do the 'so i dropped the hand' joke?

and the 'we'll be cruising at an altitude of about 2 feet'

predictable rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 scrotchels

Iwould consider myself a regular at the comedy club at cuba and i have to say that these threads are way off the mark,the quality of the acts are streets ahead of the fare on offer at the laughter lounge,Jason Byrne,Ardal O Hanlon,Tommy Tiernan,Danny Bhoy,Colin Murphy,Jim Eoin,Ed Byrne,etc etc,Sure Gerry Mallon might seem like a scary uncle at Christmas time but he does create a relaxed atmosphere for the acts and punters alike and as he says himself "his job is to make the acts look good".Ihave been to comedy clubs all over the country and the entrance fee of 12.50 is the cheapest around(dublin 26 euro,cork 18 euro).I have no great gra for Gerry Mallon either but i have to say his style is more appealing than those chirpy MC's that do the whole "where are you from?,what do you work at?" rubbish.

Hi Gerry

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Gerry Mallon is **** tbf. Was out in 903 one night and they gave out free tickets to make it look like a proper crowd. It was ****, some old guy was there terrible. That said, if you get a proper main comic its good for them.

Hi Gerry

hahaha

i used to be a priest but now i am telling comedy jokes.. internet? women? i dont know anything about them lols[/old paddy voice]

thats the joke

god he was awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 scrotchels

Hi Gerry

ho ho ho! now thats funny,mind you someone from the comedy club must be reading these posts as i just got an e mail saying that they are doing 'two for the price of 1' tickets for next fridays show.People Power eh?

Advertisement