Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porting to Vodafone RTG after byuing new phone?

• 28-11-2008 5:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭

My brother just got me the LG KU990 off Vodafone for my birthday. Thing is, he brought it with a new number. I wanted to switch from Meteor to Vodafone (due to signal problems I'm having where I live) and wanted to keep my current number. Anyone know if I can still port over and keep this phone? I'm not opening it until I'm sure I can.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Icdb

you do know that you can tell your meteor phone to roam onto the vodafone network##

go to network selection switch it to manual then on a network search you can choose vodafone..

failing that. yes you can port your meteor number to vodafone... the details should be in the sim pack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Is this even with it coming with a SIM pack containing a voda sim with a voda number already loaded on it?

And plus, I wanted a new phone anyway so decided to port to Vodafone anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

You can port your number over to vodafone- just go into a vodafone shop and ask them to move you over, takes about an hour and you can then put your number into the phone and work away- you need to get a sim instore though as they can't put your number on the one that came with the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

Ah-Watch is correct, you'll be able to port no bother. The only problem is that if the phone came with free credit it'll go onto the new 087 number, and not onto the number you port. But that shouldn't matter as I think you'll get free credit on the sime when you port to vodafone https://www.vodafone.ie/df/simonly/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Icdb wrote: »
    you do know that you can tell your meteor phone to roam onto the vodafone network##

go to network selection switch it to manual then on a network search you can choose vodafone..

failing that. yes you can port your meteor number to vodafone... the details should be in the sim pack
    Are you sure about that? When I was with meteor, it didn't even show Voda in the network list and I was blocked from roaming with O2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

Are you sure about that? When I was with meteor, it didn't even show Voda in the network list and I was blocked from roaming with O2.

+1

That sounds quite wrong. Maybe Vodafone fill in the gaps in Meteor's coverage by providing coverage to Meteor, not to Meteor customers - but I'm pretty sure there is no roaming from Meteor to Vodafone Ireland.

My opinion on the original question: yes, you can port the number, no problem. However your new phone is separate to the number - and it'll be locked to the Meteor network unless/until you get it unlocked (which Meteor will agree to do once you're topped up enough).

Make sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Reesy wrote: »
    +1

That sounds quite wrong. Maybe Vodafone fill in the gaps in Meteor's coverage by providing coverage to Meteor, not to Meteor customers - but I'm pretty sure there is no roaming from Meteor to Vodafone Ireland.

WRONG.
    Meteor have a roaming agreement with Vodafone to allow Meteor customers to use Vodafone's network while out of Meteor coverage. It seems to be provided on a kind of regional basis, with certain areas of counties or counties being open to Meteor users, much of which may have perfect Meteor coverage.
    So, to sum it up there is roaming from Meteor to Vodafone IE, but not everywhere in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

failsafe wrote: »
    Ah-Watch is correct, you'll be able to port no bother. The only problem is that if the phone came with free credit it'll go onto the new 087 number, and not onto the number you port. But that shouldn't matter as I think you'll get free credit on the sime when you port to vodafone https://www.vodafone.ie/df/simonly/

Ya, provided your number wasn't on the vodafone network prior to this you'll receive €80 free call credit(with just a sim pack), if you already had your Meteor number on vodafone bring the phone back and tell them you need to port back with a handset(meaning you'll get €80 credit)- if you were already on vodafone with that number you'll only get circa 12e free credit. Sorry I know that sounds really confusing but hopefully you get the gist.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Icdb

in galway... there is a roaming agreement dont know bout the rest of ireland... it's worth a try.. at least..

apart from that... there is nothing.. stopping u from porting your number to voda from meteor then porting it back when you want.... it's the law.......

Advertisement