Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are they manning the gates?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭shanegj

the gates are up now in belgrove as they weren't before christmas. they were working on them yesterday and they were saying someone made a mistake with measurements, took a long time to fix lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Kat Slater

It's a stupid idea. Having gates up in Glenomena isn't going to make me feel any safer.

At the very least you should be able to sign in a guest, like in Trinity Halls. Say if you lived in Wicklow/Kildare and commute to college, but it's too long a journey home after a night out. The new rule means that you can't stay in someone's gaff on campus for the night.

I don't know any resident who is happy or feels safer about this. No consultation whatsoever.

Kat Slater wrote: »
    It's a stupid idea. Having gates up in Glenomena isn't going to make me feel any safer.

At the very least you should be able to sign in a guest, like in Trinity Halls. Say if you lived in Wicklow/Kildare and commute to college, but it's too long a journey home after a night out. The new rule means that you can't stay in someone's gaff on campus for the night.

I don't know any resident who is happy or feels safer about this. No consultation whatsoever.
    its not a new rule its always been a rule its just that it will be enforced from now on. its a €100 fine.

one of my roomates friends spent the night just before the end of sem 1 and he got caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Not in use until September or so I heard.

I don't think they are there to give people a warm feeling. Maybe to cut down on the burglaries and shenanigans?

I still think the focus shouldn't be on the gates themselves but on negotiating reasonable changes to the res rules on visitors and guests etc, there's bound to be some wiggle room and it's an area where the SU could make a difference. A lot of the existing res rules are pretty draconian I think but there was no notice taken of them before, since they weren't being enforced....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

They've got cameras watching the gates now.
    They've said they won't be closing to gates until September, so maybe the cameras are to stop people stealing/damaging the gates, but if they try to blindside us... we will not be happy.

• Advertisement

there has been cameras in belgrove since the i came in sept, you can tell that they're not new and from what i saw when i was in the reception there is at least 5 more but they're only at the entrances and outside the reception here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

Alyosha wrote: »
    Don't live on campus but saw the letter they got in Glenomena today. Rules kicking in tonight.

No guests will be admitted between 11pm and 7am, with all guests having to be off campus by 11:30pm. There was some kind of warning about drunken behaviour. Also something about monitoring access to residence carparks from 2pm (or maybe 4pm) onwards. Only staff and students allowed in.

I think it's written into licence to reside that overnight guests etc not permitted, but dont think they should begin forcing the rule at this stressful stage of the year...!

I used to work as an RA. I could tell you a lot about what goes on. I wont mention names but a certain somebody in the Belfield section has a soft spot for some of, well, our Eastern friends. It used be that they could get away with whatever they wanted. Glad to see the job is finally being done properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

When I lived in Digs, it was a pain in the ass when one of the girls brought people back. It was always the same hop-head Liberal bull****ters....it was not a case of there being people there, just the sort they were. I guess UCD is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. No people means no wankas.

Advertisement