Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good primary school in Bray

• 28-11-2008 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

we moved into Bray like a few months ago. And i'm looking for good primary school nearby. Any help? :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Tippex

Both of my sons done Junior and senior infants in St Patricks.
    The eldest was then in St. Cronans (the youngest is starting there next september) so I would recommend St. Patrick's for a girl and St. Cronans for a boy.

St. Patricks becomes all girls from 1st class on.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Gelena

Thank you for your help.
    P.S. Is it a private school?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Tippex

no neither are private schools.

So Sorry, but i couldn't find the location of this school. It looks like there is no such school in Bray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭Baraboo

It is worth checking out Secondary schools and seeing which schools are feeder schools for them. It is difficult to get into a good secondary if you have not gone to the right primary.

Saying that my three boys went to Bray School Project and now go to Newpark Comprehensive. Both would be recommended by me. Newpark is not in Bray but in Blackrock but has a high percentage of BSP pupils from Bray.

You might want to put a bit more research into finding both primary and secondary schools as you are in error as to the other schools not being in Bray.

St Cronans primary school
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~cronews/

St Patricks primary school.
    http://www.locallink.ie/view.php?i=301721

Bray School Project
    http://www.brayschoolproject.ie/brayschoolproject-contact.htm

• Advertisement

Thank you very much. I did some research, but before we moved into Bray. And my Older son is in St. Brigid's BNS, Foxrock, because i heard a very good recommendation for this school and it's a feeder school for Clonkeen. He will finish 6th class in june 2009, but because of the crises and because we live so far from the school, he is on a waiting list. i was sure he is going to make it, but some times i think he won' get a place (he's 12 on list and moved forward from 28). I wanted to say: some times it doesn't matter what primary school your kid finishes. For this moment i try to find a very good primary for my younger son.
    P.S. And by the way, how can i understand or where i can find an information about "good secondary"? And were can i find information which primary school is a feeder for secondary school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Gelena wrote: »
    P.S. And by the way, how can i understand or where i can find an information about "good secondary"? And were can i find information which primary school is a feeder for secondary school?

There is a another thread made about secondary schools in Bray in this forum. I'm in work though so unfortunately can't be thrawling through the pages, I'm sure someone will post the link up though, if not, i'll do it when i'm home.

St Patricks is a feeder school for Loreto Bray. Most of Cronans would go to Pres and a large majority of St Fergals would go to St Kilians.

But, How can i understand that this school is good. And the secondary school is good as well. Is there some kind of information or rating, or something else. i don't know. I know some parents send there kids only because someone from their family finished this school and has a very good job at present. But he or she finished ages ago and the situation in the college could have turned worse or much better then in those time.

Baraboo wrote: »
    Saying that my three boys went to Bray School Project and now go to Newpark Comprehensive. Both would be recommended by me. Newpark is not in Bray but in Blackrock but has a high percentage of BSP pupils from Bray.
    Is It a secondary school? If Yes, i know that school. But how did this school take your kids if they were not in a feeder school? and if they are in the school, are you driving them there or do they take a bus and how long does the journey take?

But, How can i understand that this school is good. And the secondary school is good as well. Is there some kind of information or rating, or something else. i don't know. I know some parents send there kids only because someone from their family finished this school and has a very good job at present. But he or she finished ages ago and the situation in the college could have turned worse or much better then in those time.

There is no official rating on the schools in Ireland. Every year the Irish Independent publishes a list of the schools who have the highest to lowest University Entrants. So you can only really go on what people are suggesting and saying about the schools and make up your own mind from there.

No one in my family went to St Patricks or Loreto and my family were happy with both. The schools in Bray are not fee paying schools, with the exception of St Gerards and maybe some smaller ones.
    Is It a secondary school? If Yes, i know that school. But how did this school take your kids if they were not in a feeder school? and if they are in the school, are you driving them there or do they take a bus and how long does the journey take?

Newpark is a secondary school yes. It is on Newtownpark Avenue. You just have to put your kids names down on the school list early enough, look out in the paper or contact the schools to ask when they are enrolling for the year you are looking to start your child in the school.

I'd imagine with traffic that it'd take you maybe 45 mins to get to Newpark in the morning so they would be better to get a bus.

• Advertisement

Thank you very much. It is very helpfull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 TaraKS

While I live in Bray, I couldn't get my kids into a Bray school because of poor timing in moving to the area. However, I have met many friendly people in Bray who were extremely helpful in advising. One place to begin is the Bray partnership website --
    www.braypartnership.ie
    where you can find an information booklet for parents and students about primary and post-primary education in Bray.
    I don't think the booklet explains the feeder schools situation, but as I understand, much depends on the parish under which the schools fall.

Primary schools that were highly recommended (just based on word of mouth):
    Bray School Project - supposed to be an excellent school; is an Educate Together school so doesn't fall under a parish; co-educational: ages 4-12+
    Scoil Chualann - excellent school, classroom instruction is predominantly in Irish; co-educational; ages 4-13
    St. Andrews National School - good school; co-educational
    St. Cronans - boys school for ages 6-13; I know one mom who really likes their innovative approach to educating boys
    St. Patricks Loreto primary school - co-ed at infant level, 1st-6th class is girls only; very good school

I'm sure that all the primary schools have their merits, so this is sheerly opinion. "Good" to me means excellent learning environment and good parental involvement, good communication between parents/teachers . . .
    I suppose it depends on what you most value.

I've not listed a few schools that are in the area either because I have heard some things that don't seem "good" to me OR because I haven't heard anything about them. But there are a few more.

The two non-fee paying secondary schools that came most recommended were Presentation College (Pres) for boys and Loreto Secondary School for girls. You could probably inquire at the schools about which primary schools primarily feed those secondary schools. In the fee paying area, St. Gerards came most recommended.

Hope you find what you need!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Rose 69

TaraKS wrote: »
    While I live in Bray, I couldn't get my kids into a Bray school because of poor timing in moving to the area. However, I have met many friendly people in Bray who were extremely helpful in advising. One place to begin is the Bray partnership website --
    www.braypartnership.ie
    where you can find an information booklet for parents and students about primary and post-primary education in Bray.
    I don't think the booklet explains the feeder schools situation, but as I understand, much depends on the parish under which the schools fall.

Bray School Project - supposed to be an excellent school; is an Educate Together school so doesn't fall under a parish; co-educational: ages 4-12+
    Scoil Chualann - excellent school, classroom instruction is predominantly in Irish; co-educational; ages 4-13
    St. Cronans - boys school for ages 6-13; I know one mom who really likes their innovative approach to educating boys
    St. Patricks Loreto primary school - co-ed at infant level, 1st-6th class is girls only; very good school

I'm sure that all the primary schools have their merits, so this is sheerly opinion. "Good" to me means excellent learning environment and good parental involvement, good communication between parents/teachers . . .

I've not listed a few schools that are in the area either because I have heard some things that don't seem "good" to me OR because I haven't heard anything about them. But there are a few more.

The two non-fee paying secondary schools that came most recommended were Presentation College (Pres) for boys and Loreto Secondary School for girls. You could probably inquire at the schools about which primary schools primarily feed those secondary schools. In the fee paying area, St. Gerards came most recommended.

Hope you find what you need!! :)

Hi, I was wondering if you or anyone else have any views about St. Mary's and St. Gerard's National School, Enniskerry?

Sorry, I don't know much about schools in Enniskerry, though haven't heard anything negative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Rose 69

Sorry, I don't know much about schools in Enniskerry, though haven't heard anything negative.

Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 BARBARA R

Could you please advice on below schools
    as I don't know which primary school to choose in Bray. I think of
    St Andrews, St. Patrick=St Cronin, St Fergal junior school, or St Philomena.
    The problem is that I prefer Catholic ones but I am not convinced with separation of boys and girls in school. I think co educational would be better.
    Thanks in advance
    www.braypartnership.ie

Hope you find what you need!! :)[/QUOTE]

Hi Barbara R. The breakdown of it in terms of co-ed (or not) and religious affiliation is as follows:

Andrews- co-ed, Protestant
    Fergals - co-ed, Catholic
    Cronins - boys, Catholic
    Patricks - girls, Catholic
    Philomenas - girls, Catholic
    Gerards - co-ed, Catholic (fee paying)
    Bray School Project - co-ed, non-religious

I think I prefer co-ed for my boys as I understand boys tend to thrive academically in that environment. For my daughter, it could go either way - co-ed or all-girls - and I think it would be fine. Have you thought to look just outside Bray - Shankill, Enniskerry, Greystones - may be options there?

Did I answer your question? I wasn't sure if you only wanted to know about co-ed/religious affiliation or if you wanted opinions? :o

[Thanks TaraKS. I finally placed my son with St. Patricks for infants. Then the 1 class up to 6 will be in st Cronins. I think I prefer bray area just for primary school as it is easier for me to organise someone who can collect him while I am at work.
    Thanks for your reply.

Barbara

Hi Barbara R. The breakdown of it in terms of co-ed (or not) and religious affiliation is as follows:

Andrews- co-ed, Protestant
    Fergals - co-ed, Catholic
    Cronins - boys, Catholic
    Patricks - girls, Catholic
    Philomenas - girls, Catholic
    Gerards - co-ed, Catholic (fee paying)
    Bray School Project - co-ed, non-religious

I think I prefer co-ed for my boys as I understand boys tend to thrive academically in that environment. For my daughter, it could go either way - co-ed or all-girls - and I think it would be fine. Have you thought to look just outside Bray - Shankill, Enniskerry, Greystones - may be options there?

Did I answer your question? I wasn't sure if you only wanted to know about co-ed/religious affiliation or if you wanted opinions? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

St Fergals is the dark horse here. Many people tend to choose St patricks or St Cronins for whatever reasons. St Fergals have tiny class sizes - starting at 15 per class.This gives a huge focus on individual learning needs. Also they have early start classes for 3 years olds . Excellent special needs resources for a mainstream school which is excellent if you have a specific need for your child - excellent too if you have a talented or gifted child . Far more open enrolment policy - it doesnt matter where in the town you live. Other schools are very specific to address which can be a problem.

I' ve already placed my son in st. Patrick for infants and st cronans for 1-6 primary school.
    I also thought for st Fergal school but friends discouraged me from it.
    I will see if my choice proves in the future.
    Anyway, thank you for your opinion.

barbara :)

• Advertisement

BARBARA R wrote: »
    I' ve already placed my son in st. Patrick for infants and st cronans for 1-6 primary school.
    I also thought for st Fergal school but friends discouraged me from it.
    I will see if my choice proves in the future.
    Anyway, thank you for your opinion.

barbara :)

I would be curious to know why people would discourage such a school?

I went to St Patricks myself but as I live 10m outside their catchment area my children were unable to get a place. Delighted with my choice in St Fergals & cannot give enough praise to the principals & teachers.

lucy2010 wrote: »
    I would be curious to know why people would discourage such a school?

I went to St Patricks myself but as I live 10m outside their catchment area my children were unable to get a place. Delighted with my choice in St Fergals & cannot give enough praise to the principals & teachers.

How do you mean you're outside their catchment area?

In many of the enrolement policies there are a number of conditions you must fullfill before acceptance. Being a catholic used to be the big one.Many schools have a catchment area as part of their policy ie you must live inside a certain radius. I think St Patricks enrolement policy is sisters & brothers first, within the catchment area second which in my case ends at Killarney lane so im past it & thirdly everyone else. I remember at the time they told me I was outside the area so was further down the list than others inside the area if you know what I mean. Anyway in the end there was no places available for either of them so I had to choose a different school ie St Fergals.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭pitrn

HI, I want to know in particular about Loreto Secondary school. Does it focus too much on religion? Being non catholoic, would. any one recommend sending my girl to loreto Bray. I heard it is a highly religious school and spends 20 minutes everyday in prayers etc... I dont want my girls to learn anything about christianity- whichs chool woulod be recommended in that case?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

I don't know a lot about the the actual time spent on Religon in Loreto but as it is a Catholic school you can expect that they will have 3 or 4 timetabled periods of Religon per week as well as whatever daily prayers may take place before classes or before lunch break ...this all varies from school to school. I haven't heard that its any more religious than any other schools but RE will definitely be a part of their timetable. I know many Catholic schools welcome pupils of other faiths or no faith and often they either sit in the RE class and study something else or there may be another arrangement-again depends on the school but most state and most private schools are Catholic so you will find it hard to find a school where they won't encounter any Religon. I know there is a new Educate Together Secondary school just announced for the Bray area which is really what you are looking for but this is yet to be built and I don't know any specifics about opening dates.

The issues with Religon in Loreto Bray aside, it is extremely hard to get in there and I know my daughter is way down on the waiting list and we just have our fingers crossed that she'll be offered a place in 2 years time. Every year they are very over subscribed so you would be very lucky to get a place. I would prefer a little less Religon too and in time I think this may happen but the priority is getting a place. The Junior Cert RE syllabus isn't all about Catholicism and Christianity, they learn about world religons too, but the ethos of the school is definitely Catholic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭larrlin24

Rose 69 wrote: »
    Hi, I was wondering if you or anyone else have any views about St. Mary's and St. Gerard's National School, Enniskerry?

Both my sister and I went here from Playschool all the way up to 6th class. Maybe I'm a little biased, but it's a great school. Never had any issues! It's small, but not too small. Good teachers and principal. Really nice atmosphere! Granted, I left 10 years ago but I'm sure things are pretty much the same if not better.

Advertisement