Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daylight Robbery...

Options
  • 28-11-2008 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭

Was in town earlier, doing a bit of Christmas shopping, and like the good Catholic girl that I am decided I'd get Mrs Pandamoanium a nice piece of jewellery so went to Hartmanns..

So far so good..

..Until the bloody place was raided and robbed while I was there!

Cue lots of guards and witness statements.. Looooong day! *sheesh*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭AvrilLavigne

Was reading about that. You poor thing! I hope you are unscathed! I'm sure they will give you discount if you dare go in there again!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,482 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

was that you on the cctv on the news then??;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Jesus, word spreads fast!

It was on the news already??

Yeah, I'm grand!

Ya know, on going in there I was already half anticipating the daylight robbery aspect... Not a flippin' armed one though, just more along the lines of raping my flexible friend kind! :eek:

What happened?
    GARDA AIR UNIT INVOLVED IN SEARCH FOR RAIDERS OF CITY JEWELLERS
    Fri 28th November 2008

The Garda Air Support Unit has been drafted in to search for three men who carried out an armed robbery in the city this afternoon.

The men, armed with a handgun and iron bars, held up staff at Hartmanns jewellers at Williamsgate Street just after 1pm.

They stole a substantial amount of jewellery in the raid, before making their getaway in a car which was waiting nearby.

No-one was injured in the raid, but staff have been left shaken by the ordeal.

Gardaí set up road blocks in several areas around the city and suburbs, and it's understood the culprits, believed to be from Dublin, are headed towards Athenry.

Galway Gardaí are appealling to anyone who may have seen a blue-ish grey Volvo S40, registration number 02 D 726 15, heading in the direction of Athenry to contact them at Galway Garda Station.

They're also seeking information about a black BMW, registration 06 D 458 78, which was used immediately after the robbery, but was later abandoned in Woodquay.

Superintendent Tom Curley of Galway Garda Station is appealling to the public for any information which may help them catch the culprits.

Is that what yer on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭gd1987

I saw the cops everywhere around lunch time today then I saw them grab someone out of a car in traffic on the road behind the liosbaun. Heard on the radio about a half hour later there was an armed robbery.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I was on the traffic-choked Salmon Weir bridge at lunchtime when sirens came from all directions. Cars mounted the footpath & almost pinned pedestrians to the bridge wall trying to get out of the boys in blue's way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Could be the same 3 scumbags who robbed An Pucan last monday

So, pandamoanium, did they just burst in shouting and using foul language or did they rough people up, more info please :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 ale-breno

was stuck in traffic at the tuam road roundabout area. gardai had pulled over this fella than at the exact same time, they all did a complete u-turn and they went flying down towards monivea..must of been about 10 cars. saw them again at loughrea

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mr biazzi

what happened the pucan,

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭SalthillGuy

Managing a pub has its problems.
    Roll on the day that we all have a smart card, so that places like this are not holding cash at night.
    Surely it is possible to gat a vault with a timer that cannot be opened until mid-day next day.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

Heard on the news that 2 of the raiders were arrested in Athenry. It was on Galway Bay fm. Was kind of daydreaming though so i might have misheard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Heard they caught these lads outside Athenry, heading back home I guess ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Plenty of Cops activity in Lackagh / Turloughmore today, guess they weren't after me afterall.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Krieg wrote: »
    Could be the same 3 scumbags who robbed An Pucan last monday
    I hope it was the same 3 people because apparently there was no good CCTV or any other sort of evidence for the An Pucan robbery so it would be good it the police could somehow link the people caught today with the robbery on Monday. That way there wouldn't be 3 armed robbers still on the loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

They just never learn...the amount of getaways towards Athenry must equal the amount of arrests! The Tuam Bank Robbery, they were heading to Athenry but crashed in Killererin.

Planks.

Yes, they were caught in Athenry.
    They probably thought they were on a quiet backroad, staying away from N6 or N17.
    Did they get them all, or are we 'still looking into it'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Managing a pub has its problems.
    Roll on the day that we all have a smart card, so that places like this are not holding cash at night.
    Surely it is possible to gat a vault with a timer that cannot be opened until mid-day next day.
    Loads of places have those timed safes they are quite common from what iv seen.

Pandamoanium, fancy going into detail as to what happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Fair play to An Garda Siochana.

Steyr wrote: »
    Fair play to An Garda Siochana.

Exactly. When it comes to serious crime, the guards in galway are spot on. They caught these guys fairly quickly, and they took only a few days to find that poor girl murdered in the Renmore area.

• Advertisement

Fair play to the cops for this.
    Surely the insurance companies would have an opinion on security requirements for those holding a lot of cash late at night.
    Would they not insist on a safe like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

When I saw the title I just thought you were talking about shopping in Galway in general :D

Not sure I would agree with this.
    I travel the country and Galway is not the worst.
    As far as tourism goes, I think Dingle takes the biscuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Fair play to the cops for this.
    Surely the insurance companies would have an opinion on security requirements for those holding a lot of cash late at night.
    Would they not insist on a safe like this.

I'm sure they'll have a safe that's appropriate to the amount of cash they actually have - after all, it's a pub with hundreds of customers, not a supermarket with thousands.

Timed safes are only good if the whole world knows they're in use. There's a risk that a dumb-crook will get frustrated and harm a staff member if they're forced to wait for a timer. (According to the news, the manager had a gun pointed at him.)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Not sure I would agree with this.
    I travel the country and Galway is not the worst.
    As far as tourism goes, I think Dingle takes the biscuit.

I do my shopping in the North, so you can see why I said what I said. I guess I should have said "I thought the title was about shopping in the REPUBLIC in general"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

..... and like the good Catholic girl that I am decided I'd get Mrs Pandamoanium a nice .....

Am I the only one confused by this?

Anyway, heard on the radio this morning that the 3rd robber is still at large.

Anyone know if the loot was recovered when the other 2 were caught?

big b wrote: »

Anyway, heard on the radio this morning that the 3rd robber is still at large.

Anyone know if the loot was recovered when the other 2 were caught?

I was talking to a guy I work with this morning and he was giving the details since he lives beside where they were arrested. Third guy is still at large and they suspect he's in the wood (which is about 900+ acres) my mate has seen police situated around the wood for the last 2 days but they are apparently backing off from the area now. Whether this is to give some space for the guy to try and escape or maybe they don't think he is around there anymore. If he is in the wood I doubt he would survive the last 2 nights of weather. Im also guessing if he was in the wood they would have had sniffer dogs in there by Saturday.

The epic loot hasn't been found, so id be expecting some "treasure hunters" to be making a few walks around the area over the next few weeks/days.

I think it was already reported but the three guys are supposed to be part of a dub gang. They came up on the train, robbed 3 cars for the robbery.

I would'nt be too concerned about the money.
    I'd be more concerned about this lunatic at large in the area.
    Would'nt you feel sorry for him, out in the cold.
    Promised very cold tonight.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

So any aul cheap Omegas or Rolexes anyone

anyone

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

big b wrote: »

I'm picking she means her mother.

Advertisement