Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

problematic Primera

Options
  • 28-11-2008 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi All,
    Since Sept my 03 Primera 1.8 has been loosing power,especially when lights are on.When I switch off the lights I get a surge of power.I brought it to Nissan garage,they connected it to computer,it showed mechanical fault.Likely to be lectrical but dont know where to start looking.Did anybody come across this probblem?Would much appreciate any advice.
    PaddyA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I'm only guessing but I say the alternator.

Not much of a garage was it, if they couldn't find a problem with their own brand car. Sound typical of my experience of Nissan dealers though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

BostonB wrote: »
    I'm only guessing but I say the alternator.

Not much of a garage was it, if they couldn't find a problem with their own brand car. Sound typical of my experience of Nissan dealers though.

+1

my local indy with his laptop would tell you in a few minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You shouldn't need a computer. (I assume) all they needed to do was measure the output of the alternator. My primera has had 2 alternators. Bring it to an auto electrican. Look up one near you in the golden pages etc. An alternator is what provides the electrical power in the car. If it fails completely you'll have to get the car towed, as it won't run. Thats only me guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Did you conect anything to it ? roofsign,taxi meter,new cd/dvd ect ? I had a problem with a nisan that I conected a roof sign to, when the lights were on there was less power, I disconected the roofsign and its fine now.I spoke to a mechanic about it and he said it the type of wiring system in the Nissans, you cant just tap into a wire to take a feed from it,needs to be driect from the battery or fuse box..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

BostonB wrote: »
    You shouldn't need a computer. (I assume) all they needed to do was measure the output of the alternator. My primera has had 2 alternators. Bring it to an auto electrican. Look up one near you in the golden pages etc. An alternator is what provides the electrical power in the car. If it fails completely you'll have to get the car towed, as it won't run. Thats only me guessing.

Better still, go down to Woodies or one of those places and get a cheap electronic multimeter or voltmeter. Set it to read around 12V DC and start your engine and put the red multimeter terminal onto the positive terminal and the black multimeter terminal onto the negative battery terminal. You should be getting ideally 14.5V DC when the engine is ticking over. If you are getting less than 14V DC, you either have a problem with your alternator or your alternator belt is possibly loose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Better still, go down to Woodies or one of those places and get a cheap electronic multimeter or voltmeter. Set it to read around 12V DC and start your engine and put the red multimeter terminal onto the positive terminal and the black multimeter terminal onto the negative battery terminal. You should be getting ideally 14.5V DC when the engine is ticking over. If you are getting less than 14V DC, you either have a problem with your alternator or your alternator belt is possibly loose.

+1

And if a multimeter is too complex to use, the likes of Aldi / Lidl regularly sell a "battery tester" for a couple of €

It is of course just a voltmeter, just very easy to use with a very simple manual. It shows (with green, orange and red coloured leds) if the battery (engine not running) or the alternator (engine running) are ok

• Registered Users Posts: 8 PaddyA

hi Darragh,
    checked alternator,thats ok.
    Thanks A mill
    Paddy A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

PaddyA wrote: »
    hi Darragh,
    checked alternator,thats ok.
    Thanks A mill
    Paddy A

Then what could be happening is that the problem is on the DR (debit!) side, in that something is draining the battery OP. Have you any devices that could be drawing current???

Sat Nav

Taxi Meter

Light left on in the car, for example boot light, glove box light, internal light?

Radio amp?

Mobile charger?

Advertisement