Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help please -

• 28-11-2008 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

hi,

running Xp on my laptop.
    Trouble is my laptop has ceased recognising anything connected by USB these days.

I have loads of photos to import to abode on my laptop and need to get it done for work.

Question, how do you get the window up to ask you how to import photo's in windows?

help!?!?!

thanks,
    NIF

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

can you check whether the USB pen drives are working on another machine...

errr... your question is how to import photos in photoshop (or what Adobe(it is adobe right) package) ?
    If it is just hit file-open.

if its not... import from where to where ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Hi,

The USB's are working for a printer etc, so i dont thnk its that.
    I have removed and reloaded the driver for the digital camera, but the problem persists - can't get adobe to recognise the camera to import pics from the camera? Its a sony cybershot btw.

is there another way to import pics?

ah right. so import the pictures from your camera to your laptop.

the easiest way would be to bring it around to a friends house and plug the camera into their computer and put it onto a USB disk (If those a reworking in your computer) or onto a CD.

I think places that develop photos have a service of copying them from your camera to a cd/dvd

When you plug in the camera and goto My Computer - Do you see a new drive appear there ? you should be able to go in and navigate directly to the file... if the connection is working correctly.

Thanks for the advice Samhail.
    Its a ruddy pain in the backside.....GRRRRRrrrr...driving me mad it is.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

way too many fixes here - not sure if any apply
    http://www.usbman.com/WinME%20USB%20Guide.htm

if the printer didn't work I'd suggest creating a recovery point and uninstalling the USB controllers in devicemanager and then redetecting them

• Advertisement

i know how you feel alright. i hate when small things like that dont work.

hmm... could consider picking up a USB expansion card too possibly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

Sorry if i'm covering ground that you already covered or someone answered but.. is the problem that the usb drive isn't being picked up or that the "USB Drive detected, would you like to open the folder, import to x "etc doesn't come up? If the former then read-on. If the latter than just check whether the usb drive is being picked up in "my computer". If the first or if it doesn't do the second then..

Check if your usb slot is actually working as intended according to windows (ie no driver problems, assuming windows). To do this right click on my computer and select properties -> (on xp) go to the hardware tab then device manager (iirc) or (on vista) click on device manager. This should open up a list of found components. Find "USB serial bus controllers" and check if there is a warning icon associated with it. If no problems then try following:

If above doesn't help and you have a newish machine it may be USB bootable. What this means is that if you stick it in and restart your machine (if correctl configured too) will attempt to boot off the usb drive. So stick in your usb drive and reboot, if a message comes up saying booting off usb... no Operating System found then at least you know it's not a hardware issue rather a windows issue and we can take it from there. You may need to set your machine to boot from USB in the BIOS (basic pc setup, pre operating system loading)

Let us know if any of that works.

Sorry if this is a little overwhelming, i'll be happy to explain everything in detail tomorrow (or someone else can answer your queries) but i'm rushing out. Be sure to tell us exactly what you've tried/checked and the results of it.

did the whole device manager enquiry - to no avail, it tells me there is no driver for the device, eventhough there is?

Tried to re-boot the USB, no joy..........ohhhh, well.
    Thanks all.

Advertisement