Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dry Cleaner - Aaargh!!!!

• 28-11-2008 6:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭

Long story short - I bought a top in Monsoon on the 14th, wore it on the 15th & dropped it in to be dry cleaned on the 17th.
    When I picked it up on the 21st & brought it home, I realised they had lost the ribbon that holds the whole thing together at the neck. I brought it back & gave them the option of finding the ribbon or replacing it.

I just went in to pick up the top which I need for tomorrow & they have made a terrible effort at replacing the ribbon - I had explained exactly what it was like & they still messed it up.
    They have not offered a refund of the dry cleaning fee & have not made any effort to contact me or anything this week to sort it out. The woman behind the counter even suggested to me that I ring their head office ~ I saw red & told her she would have to speak to the manager in head office & sort it out.

I have now given them an ultimatum of going into Monsoon & find out exactly what the ribbon looks like & get an exact copy, or else buy me a new top.

But I don't know legally where I stand. Surely they have a duty to return the top in the condition it was given to them?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Did the ribbon need to be dry cleaned? Why didn't you take it off? I wouldn't bring a pair of trousers to the dry cleaners with the belt still on, but fair enough I would expect the belt to be there when I pick it up!

Personally, I'd leave it, it's hardly the end of the world.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Go and buy a suitable ribbon yourself in hickeys or somewhere. Bring them the receipt and have them pay you the cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Clarehobo

Did the ribbon need to be dry cleaned? Why didn't you take it off? I wouldn't bring a pair of trousers to the dry cleaners with the belt still on, but fair enough I would expect the belt to be there when I pick it up!

Personally, I'd leave it, it's hardly the end of the world.

The reason I left it on the top is it holds the front & back together. It was tied firmly together. It never even crossed my mind to take it off because it would be impossible to thread back in - the ribbon is three times the width of where it is threaded through. Also, I had put in a dress with a ribbon belt into this dry cleaner before which wasn't secured & they managed to return it to me dry cleaned & all together.
    Go and buy a suitable ribbon yourself in hickeys or somewhere. Bring them the receipt and have them pay you the cost.

The ribbon is a feature of the top, & is sewn so that there is no visible seam so just any old ribbon won't do. I end up having to get a dressmaker to run up a new ribbon & lace it through the top.

The top was €85 & was only worn once which is why I am not happy to just leave it - under normal circumstances I'd lie at the loss but they have made no effort to sort it out.

Really, I just want some consumer advice - is there any laws or anything that could cover this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

if it was as secure as it sounds it was then they actually did some serious damage to the top!did the care label on the top say anything about not dry cleaning?i've gotten stuff brought back to me in work with damage done by dry cleaners when there was no warning on the label not to dry clean, so you may want to find out if they removed the ribbon on purpose or if it came loose. if it came loose you may want to talk to Monsoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

i agree with lollipops23 check for the care label.http://www.textileaffairs.com/lguide.htm

I dont know if the dry cleaners have a responsibility to check the label but most people cut off the labels so how could you expect them to be a last line of defence, they just do as you ask them to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Oryx wrote: »

Yes or contact Monsoon and ask if they have any extras ribbons fron store damages or if it is this seasons the buyer may have one lying around the office try their website.
    Good luck

Advertisement