Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car rental + driving licence length

Options
  • 28-11-2008 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Does anyone know if it is possible to rent a car from one of the companies in Dublin Airport without having a licence for a year. My BF has his for 8 months and we reeeeally need to get a car for this weekend- thanks to a badly timed breakdown :( Is it worth going there or is it something they always check vigourously?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Thumpette wrote: »
    Hi All,

Does anyone know if it is possible to rent a car from one of the companies in Dublin Airport without having a licence for a year. My BF has his for 8 months and we reeeeally need to get a car for this weekend- thanks to a badly timed breakdown :( Is it worth going there or is it something they always check vigourously?

Dan Dooley will. I did even on a provisional.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

They may be more concerned with your age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

He's 29 :) Passed the little boy racer stage! :) I wonder will Avis- just looking at the online booking now and it hasnt mentioned it so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I did even on a provisional.

You rented a car with just a provisional license? :eek:

Never heard that before

• Registered Users Posts: 68,988 ✭✭✭✭L1011

unkel wrote: »

Never heard that before

If you've fully comp insurance to temp transfer, it may be possible. I hired a car here with only a few months of full license cause I could transfer my insurance over for the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭marquise

I know you can with Enterprise because I have my licence for under a year and I hire from them.

www.enterprise.ie

unkel wrote: »

Never heard that before

Yep like MYOB said. I had fully comp and transferred it. I was going to a wedding and did not want to turn up with my horrid little Ibiza so I hired a laguna for 2 nights.

I know that Hertz used to limit Irish drivers to a minimum age limit of 30 years!!! That must be gone by now mind.

Yep Hertz is minimum of 25 for small class, 27 for intermediate and 30 for all other groups.

https://www.hertz.ie/rentacar/byr/index.jsp?targetPage=rentalQualificationsView.jsp?KEYWORD=AGE

Advertisement