Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lights in the sky

Options
  • 28-11-2008 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭

I'm probably freaking out over nothing, but I just looked out my sitting room window and there's three lights in the sky going down in a line. They look a bit like stars, but there's no other stars out and I've never seen stars in this particular part of the sky before.
    The two on the bottom were totally parallel to each other for a while, but I checked again a few minutes later and the one in the middle had moved to over to the right.
    They top light and the middle light faded out almost completely for a few minutes and came back.
    I just checked again and the middle one has gone completely, the top one has moved to the right a bit and the bottom one has stayed where it is. A few minutes beforehand, the middle one was to the right, the bottom one was to the left and the top one was in the middle, kind of like a lopsided triangle.

In the few minutes it's taken me to write that the top and middle lights have faded completely and the bottom one has faded a lot.

I know this probably doesn't make a lot of sense, but I'm a bit spooked. I'll keep an eye on it and my camera battery is charging so I'll a few pics if I can.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

Sounds very similar to military flares.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

its not military flares,i can tell you that off hand not in carlow..but you shouldnt be spooked, youll see more and more when theres not a cloud to de seen.can i ask a question?what do you think they are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭laurashambles

I don't really know... I don't think they were crafts. They didn't have any kind of defined shape. (although I could have been too far away) They were just lights.

I've had a look on youtube and I've seen some stuff that looks kind of similar. It was a bit like this, only they were going down instead of across and weren't as bright.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq3_VqgKDGQ

seen something like this on tuesday last..around 6.30,just off the motorway heading into mountrath co.laois,i wasnt driving,but only seen one light coming towards us getting bright,then just went off like a flash,i was spooked 2 for a sec but couldnt tell my friend because it came and went so fast and he'd prob think im mad or even crash,in any event there wasnt another car light around because there wasnt a car to be seen from behind or in front for at least 20 seconds more,i made sure to look around in them 20 seconds and i dont know what this light thing is.only know what can be ruled out from first hand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

there was a discussion about this on the waterford city forum just last week someone saw lights in the sky on there way home from the gym

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

I havent got a clue about the ahole UFO thingy,,,but it is intresting that we are seeing a pattern on Boards with other sightings,,,over the last few weeks everyone one claimed to see 3 to 4 lights ,

Intresting:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭glitter-bug

Could be sky lanterns! We had them and they do look spooky floating through the sky

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Outside having a smoke yesterday.. south Dublin, 2 bright lights like stars but in formation (although not parallel) moving east to west fairly sharpish. That was at about 5.30pm. Unfortunately, only saw them in a break between cloud cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 justmum

Seen something similar a few months back, while out for a spin in the evening. Sometimes there is a really simple explanation to those things, sometimes it's something more than ppl can explain. I for one have an open mind when it comes to things like that. Be it UFO or something else. Just think while there is no prove wheter all those things exist or not nothing could be ruled out. There are a lot of thing that scare and freak us out out there, I just thing it is human nature to be freaked out by things they can not explain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Kernel wrote: »
    Outside having a smoke yesterday.. south Dublin, 2 bright lights like stars but in formation (although not parallel) moving east to west fairly sharpish. That was at about 5.30pm. Unfortunately, only saw them in a break between cloud cover.
    International space station + shuttle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

I saw them around 6pm yesterday evening and also a few days ago. They were equally large in the sky, quite low and very bright. There were no other stars visible at the time (or certainly none as obvious).

If I recall they were visible to the West at that time ;)

Unfortunately the sky clouded over just around the time they were due to be seen in the Dublin area so I missed them.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055429602

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Brianc101

Venus and Jupiter are now very close together and dazzling in your southwestern sky after sunset

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Brianc101

Venus and Jupiter (the brighter one is Venus). Mon evening the moon new moon will appear very close to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭AircraftTechie

SkepticOne wrote: »
    International space station + shuttle.

Sorry i have not been around but it was indeed the ISS and the Shuttle. The ISS is now weighing in at over 300 tonnes and its solar panel 'wings' are around the same span as the A380 wingspan.
    That is some beast up there now..... Also the Shuttle is due to land in about 2 hours at Edwards Air Force Base California.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Brianc101 wrote: »
    Venus and Jupiter (the brighter one is Venus). Mon evening the moon new moon will appear very close to them.

Aha so that's what that was! Very impressive looking.

i,ve seen the iss and shuttle,they were not the lights ive seen before,wonder has anyone else seen strange stuff in the skys?

jonbravo wrote: »
    i,ve seen the iss and shuttle,they were not the lights ive seen before,wonder has anyone else seen strange stuff in the skys?

They were and they corresponded to the times NASA had for them to pass over Ireland/Europe etc and to detatch for the Shuttle to return to Earth.

thats why you shouldnt tell anyone about what youve seen,takes the good out of dreaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Venus + Jupiter dont " Move " as quick as the ISS /Shuttle ,from what iv read here , they say MOVING

• Advertisement

Stargate wrote: »
    Venus + Jupiter dont " Move " as quick as the ISS /Shuttle ,from what iv read here , they say MOVING

Hence why they were shown/proved to be the ISS and Shuttle as they move, and rather fast too. This subject was talked about alot on other Aviation Boards in the UK etc and everybody agreed the amount of people who will take them as UFO's will be huge.:)

still what ive seen in terms of the iss and the shuttle,dont compare to what ive seen closer to ground level but i dont think you could understand that,aircrafttechie

still what ive seen in terms of the iss and the shuttle,dont compare to what ive seen closer to ground level but i dont think you could understand that,aircrafttechie
    How would you describe the look of the shuttle and ISS in orbit when viewed from Earth?

i think this is a silly question if indeed the question was meant for me?,but if not,and was meant for your own acurate account of what youve seen before,i would say like the may 31st 08 event,same as that!hope thats not arrogant.................now i understand the lights ive seen in the skys near portlaoise motorway could of being the shuttle launching,and the outburst of light was from leaving our atmosphere,that could have being the light ive seen,after all it was only the one bright light!!.........im just sayin theres more then that up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

SkepticOne wrote: »
    How would you describe the look of the shuttle and ISS in orbit when viewed from Earth?

Speed, size, brightness, trajectory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Barnaby

Hi, everyone, I'm new. We have seen the two lights on Christmas Eve & Christmas night so I guess it wasn't the shuttle after all.
    There were two moving lights, looked like street lights not bright like stars, one following the other across the sky. Most peculiar!
    I found this forum by searching for "Two lights in the sky" on Google.

Barnaby wrote: »
    Hi, everyone, I'm new. We have seen the two lights on Christmas Eve & Christmas night so I guess it wasn't the shuttle after all.
    There were two moving lights, looked like street lights not bright like stars, one following the other across the sky. Most peculiar!
    I found this forum by searching for "Two lights in the sky" on Google.
    is it just me or is there a lot of people seeing 2 lights in the sky alot in the last few mouths??

A lot of people around here have seen them also, I am in the North West.

Barnaby wrote: »
    A lot of people around here have seen them also, I am in the North West.
    is ireland an active area in europe now??ive also read some where that some people in belgium have seen the same thing[2 lights moving]not so long a go and i know belgium was the last active european window,with the waves of ufos seen between 1989-91.i think the north west is a good bet for a skywatch over the next few nites[clear skys] or maybe always was?

• Advertisement

is ireland an active area in europe now??ive also read some where that some people in belgium have seen the same thing[2 lights moving]not so long a go and i know belgium was the last active european window,with the waves of ufos seen between 1989-91.i think the north west is a good bet for a skywatch over the next few nites[clear skys] or maybe always was?

Don't know much about it Jon other than saw the two lights moving, two nights in a row. They really were peculiar & not like anything that I could explain away!

Advertisement