Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rear ended!

Options
  • 28-11-2008 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

Some bloke rear ended me this evening when I was driving home. These things happen, but now my car's somewhat knackered. Not a bother on his! :D

Anyway, I got his contact and insurance details so I guess I'll be making a claim. Do I do this via my insurance company or do I go to his directly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

fasty wrote: »
    Some bloke rear ended me this evening when I was driving home. These things happen, but now my car's somewhat knackered. Not a bother on his! :D

Anyway, I got his contact and insurance details so I guess I'll be making a claim. Do I do this via my insurance company or do I go to his directly?

Safest thing is to tell both. I was advised to do so recently and did. Goes through who was at fault, I assume his.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

Yeah it was his fault. Traffic was coming to a stop at lights and he overshot the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Philush

yeah your best to notify two, just to avoid the trained monkeys on the phone gettin confused, its automatically his fault anyway for running into the back of ya, once you run into the back of a vehicle in front of you your always at fault

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

You did ring the gardai OP...

Nah, no one was hurt.

• Advertisement

Nah, no one was hurt.

Er... You should of rang the gardai. Who's to say he/she crashed into you? Any accident should be reported straight away, no matter how minor.

There were a few witnesses. I always thought it was only if there was an injury!

There were a few witnesses. I always thought it was only if there was an injury!

I passed a tip, literally a tip the other day. And the garda were called. It's just back up in case anything goes wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Read your insurance booklet
    But of course everyone throws these away

You report any accident to the gardai. You might get a reference number but you'll definitly get the garda's name and rank
    And remember, you go the nearest station, not your local one.
    But if nobody is hurt, no need to call them to the scence. Some people expect a fleet of squad cars for every minor tip

We don't want to read here next week about "fatsy here, someone reported me for reversing into them, nooooooo!" :)

ah yeah, your always meant to ring them, its usually the first q the insurance comp will ask you. you can be fierce unlucky in some instances for failing to follow proper procedures following an accident, its in the rules of the road i think, always meant to summon the gardai

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info. I guess I just didn't think properly when it happened.

ah yeah, no prob i no no myslef when summat like that happens your never thinking clearly,especially when your hangin upside down by your seatbelt,but thats another story,sure main thing is anyway that everyones alright

Advertisement