Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Roll on the recession....

Options
  • 28-11-2008 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

Bought a ford transit 8 months ago from main ford dealer in galway city for 12k. Went out of warranty 12k miles ago. Brought it back last week beacause the power was dramaticaly reduced. They replaced the intercooler, total cost = 500.00. Intercooler cost around 300, 200 for labour.

We collected van and drove 200 yards, only to discover the same problem again. They took it back and had the f**king balls to call me and say the turbo was spent and total charge to fix was 2500.00. Kindly told them to f**k off.

Ordered a brand new turbo unit from UK , cost delivered - 649.00
    Have a mechanic lined up to install - 300.00

Then, this main ford dealer in galway city called me today to say:
    "Good news, we wont be charging you the full 80.00 per hour to tell you your turbo was busted, we'll only charge you 40.00 per hour. Oh, and it took 5 hours, and your not getting your van back until you pay for it!"

Where the f**k is the law to deal with sh1t like this? Have i any rights or do i just let them violate me?:mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Dabko wrote: »
    Bought a ford transit 8 months ago from main ford dealer in galway city for 12k. Went out of warranty 12k miles ago. Brought it back last week beacause the power was dramaticaly reduced. They replaced the intercooler, total cost = 500.00. Intercooler cost around 300, 200 for labour.

We collected van and drove 200 yards, only to discover the same problem again. They took it back and had the f**king balls to call me and say the turbo was spent and total charge to fix was 2500.00. Kindly told them to f**k off.

"Good news, we wont be charging you the full 80.00 per hour to tell you your turbo was busted, we'll only charge you 40.00 per hour. Oh, and it took 5 hours, and your not getting your van back until you pay for it!"

Where the f**k is the law to deal with sh1t like this? Have i any rights or do i just let them violate me?:mad::mad::mad:

Did you give them the go ahead to source and fit the turbo??? It's weird that the problem you complained about would immediately suggest the turbo was gone and they jumped straight to the intercooler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Dabko

I told them to go fcuk themselves when they asked should they replace the turbo, they then came up wit bullsh1t excuse "Oh, there really was a hole in the intercooler..."

They are a bunch of thieving cumts. They held my van to ransom until we paid the 200 additional "labour" costs. Good job i gave them a funny cheque:D:D

Man, hell will have frozen over by the time that cheque clears!

I told them to go fcuk themselves when they asked should they replace the turbo, they then came up wit bullsh1t excuse "Oh, there really was a hole in the intercooler..."

They are a bunch of thieving cumts. They held my van to ransom until we paid the 200 additional "labour" costs. Good job i gave them a funny cheque:D:D

Well it's fairly simple, either you gave them the go ahead or you didn't. Checking a turbo for wear isn't a difficult task, was there excess smoke coming from the exhaust when the problem started?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

You pay by cheque and your legally obliged to pay them, it's admission of liability on your behalf and legally binding.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

In before lock lol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Well it's fairly simple, either you gave them the go ahead or you didn't. Checking a turbo for wear isn't a difficult task, was there excess smoke coming from the exhaust when the problem started?

You seem to be missing something here. He dropped van in to get fixed. It wasnt his job to tell them what it was. They 'fixed' it and he paid them.

He them returned van to them to tell them to fix it properly having paid them for the fix.

They then inform him that turbo is gone and want him to pay for the diagnosis even though they have already charged him 500 for a completely wrong repair.

So there is no issue of whether he gave go ahead or not. I presume he gave the go ahead originally when they said "You need a new intercooler and it will be 500"

He is surely then entitled to bring it back when there was no improvement. I would be looking for my money back

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

They can charge what they want, its up to you if you want to pay or not

You want government is set the prices business's should charge their customers?

mickdw wrote: »
    You seem to be missing something here. He dropped van in to get fixed. It wasnt his job to tell them what it was. They 'fixed' it and he paid them.

He them returned van to them to tell them to fix it properly having paid them for the fix.

They then inform him that turbo is gone and want him to pay for the diagnosis even though they have already charged him 500 for a completely wrong repair.

So there is no issue of whether he gave go ahead or not. I presume he gave the go ahead originally when they said "You need a new intercooler and it will be 500"

He is surely then entitled to bring it back when there was no improvement. I would be looking for my money back

Yeah but after they found it was the turbo that was gone and were going to lube him up for a 2K repair bill, did they not ask him to authorise that work specifically??? They don't sound like the brightest bunch to be honest, first of all missing a busted turbo and then taking a cheque for this type of an invoice in a recession!?!?!

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Yeah but after they found it was the turbo that was gone and were going to lube him up for a 2K repair bill, did they not ask him to authorise that work specifically??? They don't sound like the brightest bunch to be honest, first of all missing a busted turbo and then taking a cheque for this type of an invoice in a recession!?!?!

But they then quoted him for the turbo work. OP kindly told them to f*ck so there was no question of them then doing this work. They should have been delighted to let the van out at this stage and get away with the wrong repair and being fully paid for it. Instead they try to get another 200 out of him. I would have had the service manager hauled across the counter.
    Surely it was only a cheque for 200 he gave at this second stage. I would have paid with recorded dispute to get van back and then chase up the money again.

You guys seem to be able to explain it better than i can.

As mick says, yes, it went it for a fix, which they didn't do and charged regardless. Then tried to wrangle a ridiculous 2500 for a turbo. When they heard i wasn't that gullible Irish consumer who has put bmw x5s and mini coopers under the arse's of company directors wives, mistresses and daughters, the held my van to ransom for an additional 200. I generally call that milking a situation for a much as its worth. Thieving cmnts.

I had one major rule when i started working for myself 4 years ago and that was NEVER EVER bounce a business cheque as it sows the seeds of doubt amongst others, which can be more harmful than anything else.
    But now, that fu*king cheque for 200 is going to bounce of so many banks, it will cost the 200 euro alone in stamps, stationary, solicitors letters and phone calls before they ever see a miserable cent of it.

Thank you all kindly for listening to my rant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of your argument that is a serious offence and you will get no comfort from any court in the land for writing a dud or stopping a cheque I have seen it many times in court cases it really is taboo !!!

Darsad wrote: »
    Regardless of the rights and wrongs of your argument that is a serious offence and you will get no comfort from any court in the land for writing a dud or stopping a cheque I have seen it many times in court cases it really is taboo !!!

Thank you for that advice Darsad, ive already considered that might piss a judge off. I will pay it eventually, but at my own slow ass pace. It will not get to a court thing, just very very close.

Darsad wrote: »

Ya it wasnt the right way to go about that. The OP was the injured party here originally but by writing the dodgy cheque, it will be all turned on him.

mickdw wrote: »
    Ya it wasnt the right way to go about that. The OP was the injured party here originally but by writing the dodgy cheque, it will be all turned on him.

What dodgy cheque, slip of the mind got the wrong date! These things happen.

Its still a good cheque, just wont be cashed for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

Much the same happened to me last year. Left in my car that was losing pints of oil. We suspected worn piston rings. Independent garage quoted 1600 for repair. Long story later the final bill was 2200 which I queried and this was reduced to 2k.
    Four weeks later car is still haemorraging oil so it went back again. It was fixed this time but on our way to collect what we thought was a repaired car got a call from the garage to say fuel pump was gone and also clutch on the way out. Showed us the parts but as I pointed out to the OH it might as well have been parts from a Jumbo jet!
    What the hell could I do but pay out another 900 euro. I hope to God the guy goes to the wall. He's a malicious b*******. He made a mistake and instead of holding his hands up screwed us for more money.
    I think the OP was quite right. The original symptoms would have indicated turbo prob. The same happened to me a few years back. Not the same car!!! Garage wanted the easy way out changing the intercooler. Same as my guy. And how in the name of God would it take 5 hours to diagnose a turbo problem!! They're just taking the p*** and the Op was quite right to take the p*** in return.

Advertisement