Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newbie question about external Flash

• 28-11-2008 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hi all, I take a lot of high speed shots of Water Drops (like the one below) and use my Fuji Finepix S9500 for these because I can use really fast shutter speeds, 1/1600sec for example and can use the built in flash.
    Here's the problem however, when I try to use my 400D the built in flash will not fire at speeds over 1/200sec. If I get an external flashgun, probably the Canon speedlite 430ex, can I get around that problem and shoot at faster shutter speeds, and if so, how does that work?

Thanks.

342416F542FA4EA4A0447131CD47CF32-800.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

Hi,

Great water drop shot :)

The 400D has a mechanical shutter, so there are limits as to how fast it can sync with a normal flash. The fuji has an electronic shutter so doesn't have this physical limitation.

If you use a flash with a High Speed Sync option like the 430EX/580EX it works around this limitation by firing the flash repeatedly over a longer period. It's explained better in this doc:
    http://software.canon-europe.com/files/documents/FlashWork_EN.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭TheNorthBank

Thanks a million for the info hmboards, and a good Canon article too. The other half has been in a pickle over what to get me for christmas... Problem solved! A nice new Flashgun please!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Is the 450D any better in this regard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

Any camera would have difficulty using the built-in flash at shutter speeds above 1/250
    I think you'd be better off using a constant light source, rather than a flash, in situations such as the OP described above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

450 would be better in the way of controls - easy manual exposure setting, manual focus and hot shoe for external flash. And possibility to use various lenses or combination of lenses.

• Advertisement
Advertisement