Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire on North Main Street

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Philush

christ looks big alright, its the furniture store is it?or buy n sell?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Let that mothafcuka burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Philush

well, the roof is on fire...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Eight units of fire fighters are battling a blaze that broke out in a furniture store and has now spread to several adjoining buildings at North Main Street and Grattan Street in Cork city centre.

The alarm was raised just after 7pm this evening but the fire quickly spread to neighbouring buildings.

A spokesman for Cork's city fire service said it will take some time to bring the blaze under control.

All available units in Cork city are at the scene, including two hydraulic platforms.

It is understood that off duty fire-fighters are also being asked to report for work.

There are no reports of any injuries but traffic diversions are in place.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1128/cork.html

Sounds pretty serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 finnykid

Its the furniture store, everything nearby evacuated, looks huge

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

finnykid wrote: »
    Its the furniture store, everything nearby evacuated, looks huge

Did the other buildings catch fire then? Are you nearby? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

OMG you can see the smoke all over the city, it's terrible and so close to Christmas..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 finnykid

Just up the road a bit, not leavng us nearby at all now.
    Its hard to make out with all the smoke etc, looks like a movie scene

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Jaysus!!!!!

Does anyone know the shops that have been burnt?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

Na, they'd wait til after christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Ah Jaysus, lads - it wasn't that cold!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Its So Easy

fire05aw2.jpg

This is a picture that was posted on the proc. This isin't me pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Yikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Oh my god!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Looks really bad from that last pic posted!

Gardaí to probe Cork city blaze
    Gardaí will today conduct a technical examination to establish the cause of a fire which caused millions of euro worth of damage in Cork city centre last night.

Up to 50 fire-fighters from Cork's city fire service were involved in fighting the blaze which broke at around 7pm at the former Munster Furniture premises on North Main Street.

Fire-fighters remain at the scene this morning.

However, North Main Street has reopened for business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

saw it last night, arrived about 9 and didnt realise it had been going for two hours. it was still pretty dramatic at that point and coming back by the gate about 11 there was still plenty of action..

I hope the apartment people all got out ok and arent too put out before christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

There's plenty of class A drugs and prostitutes available so.

North main street is a dump, they should have let it burn.

Drugs, fair enough - not exactly unheard of, but prossies? :eek:

Surely it's too city central for that - it'd be way too obvious!

(Or maybe i'm just naive) :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 36 nutterguy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Ladybug

Yesterday afternoon they had North Main blocked off and pedestrian traffic diverted through North Main Shopping Centre (Dunnes). Hope the street reopens today.

Never seen anything unsavory on North Main during the day or early evening. Sure you are not just seeing normal citizens dressed for a night on the town - hemlines are worn considerably shorter in Cork City.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Appears I actually have to say this...

Any FURTHER unfounded allegations from anyone gets you a forum ban and quite possibly a site ban.

You have been warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

castie wrote: »

Any FURTHER unfounded allegations from anyone gets you a forum ban and quite possibly a site ban.

You have been warned.

hmm having been via AH a few times it often seems that boards is BUILT on unfounded accusations..

but to be more on topic i was on north main street today and the fire site was a pure disaster.. nothing but rubble left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Kurva

was that the place Munster Furniture ? the shop that closed last year and where now selling those ratty outlet acrylic jumpers and t shirts?

i don't go thru the city anymore so im not 100% sure

a real shame if it was Munster furniture - I remember seeing on the for let signs that place was close to 40,000 sq.feet ( roughly cant remember exact)

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

castie wrote: »

You have been warned.

Woops, didn't think this was flaming/personal abuse as in the charter. I presume this was aimed at me as my previous one worded post was removed.
    There was/still is a very similar post on page 1 btw Mr. Mod...

I just happen to know traders in that area, and didn't base my accusation on a random assumption.

Point taken, but don't give me grief if I start a 'Told you so' thread in a couple of months...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

thefloss wrote: »
    Woops, didn't think this was flaming/personal abuse as in the charter. I presume this was aimed at me as my previous one worded post was removed.
    There was/still is a very similar post on page 1 btw Mr. Mod...

I just happen to know traders in that area, and didn't base my accusation on a random assumption.

Point taken, but don't give me grief if I start a 'Told you so' thread in a couple of months...

Wasnt directly aimed at you so please get down off your high horse.
    I did not say it was a random assumption, I said it was an unfounded allegation which as far as I know is still unfounded. "traders" in that area informing you does not make it any more founded, so i had indeed missed it.

Also thanks for pointing out the post on page 1, It had not been reported and I cleansed from the reported post on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

the place was gutted when I saw it last saturday,firemen were still and that 2 maybe 3 o clock in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

The fire Service would often hang around after a big fire to make sure there are no remaining hot spots that could reignite. (ftr, I'm nothing to do with CFB but I hang around with some of the lads working there) As to the cause, from talking to some of the lads that were working on it, they didn't seem to think it was malicious. Only one seat of fire is usually accidental. Small tins of petrol left lying around a building is usually not.

Advertisement