Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Song format

• 28-11-2008 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi guys, Im a closet song writer, I do it for my own pleasure, maybe some day I will share them and make a fortune ha ha,

The problem I have is that im to rigid with the formats I use, I allways end up with a ryhming scheme like ABABCC orABABAB

Whilst trying to achieve onamatapaya (Sorry bout the spelling), I end up with sixth class poetry, ha ha

The lightening seeds song, pure, would be an example of the style i would like to achieve, without flatout copying it of course,

Any tips greatfully accepted

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

Tips?

Keep writing.

There's no right or wrong way unless you're trying to fit a certain well-defined format.

I'll bet your songs are better than you are giving yourself credit for.

Create a myspace site. Put up some demos and take a chance.

What's the worst that could happen ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

I tend to change about , seriously do not think to much about it and keep writing ,reviewing, re-doing and you will come across styles and sounds that suit the song which to me is important

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭froosh69

listen to perry farrells lyrics. (janes addiction)

that man never heard of rhyming, he just sings his poems! especially on their later stuff...and i think he's awesome.

you dont even need to rhyme...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭cantona1111

froosh69 wrote: »
    listen to perry farrells lyrics. (janes addiction)

that man never heard of rhyming, he just sings his poems! especially on their later stuff...and i think he's awesome.

you dont even need to rhyme...

I will look those songs up, cheers.

Its not really the rhyming, its what I would call a "bouncy" quaility, I want the lyrics in my chorus to bounce, maybe that sounds stupid I dont know, Im trying to write a few poems then change them around

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭froosh69

I will look those songs up, cheers.

Its not really the rhyming, its what I would call a "bouncy" quaility, I want the lyrics in my chorus to bounce, maybe that sounds stupid I dont know, Im trying to write a few poems then change them around

I supose by "bounce", you mean rhythm?
    In my opinion rhythm is more important than rhyming...using the voice as an instrument to make music rather than conveying actual meaningful words...but I'm not a singer, what would I know?

P.S. Perry Farrell does use rhyme too, of course, but I've never heard anyone use it less!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I think you're already there with a possible solution. I'd your problem but in reverse a little while back. I totally dis-regarded any set standards of formula. I had only started to teach myself the guitar and write and just wrote what came regardless of structure. The more I advanced the more i realised that structure would be a handy tool in the box. I went back and looked at poetry, read a bit and tried figuring out how different writers or different poems had a different rhythm and why. Discovering a few writing patterns such as iambic pentamtre etc. has been really useful. Indeed I'm a fairly normal guy and often found the poetry dull as dishwater but the tools used by any writer in rhythm is a useful tool for music writers.

I'd brain a child to be able to write something bouncy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭cantona1111

humberklog wrote: »
    I think you're already there with a possible solution. I'd your problem but in reverse a little while back. I totally dis-regarded any set standards of formula. I had only started to teach myself the guitar and write and just wrote what came regardless of structure. The more I advanced the more i realised that structure would be a handy tool in the box. I went back and looked at poetry, read a bit and tried figuring out how different writers or different poems had a different rhythm and why. Discovering a few writing patterns such as iambic pentamtre etc. has been really useful. Indeed I'm a fairly normal guy and often found the poetry dull as dishwater but the tools used by any writer in rhythm is a useful tool for music writers.

I'd brain a child to be able to write something bouncy.

Im very average on giutar, just the basics, singing in my head is fine, but not out loud:D, I think I need to learn more about alliteration and iambic pentamtre, unfortunately those damn english teachers were corrrect and I should have listened more

Advertisement