Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fedor cancels press tour to prepare for Arlovski

• 28-11-2008 9:44pm

Linky
    "My trainers, Vladimir Voronov and Alexander Michkov, met with me in Russia after the World Sambo Championships and we decided that the Arlovski confrontation is too important to delay a comprehensive training camp in exchange for press tour obligations on the other side of the world. Andrei Arlovski is a dangerous fighter and has looked in prime condition and at the top of his game in his last few fights. He is one of the top three heavyweights in the world. This is not a fighter I will defeat if I am taking shortcuts in training."

- Current WAMMA heavyweight champion and Affliction headliner Fedor Emelianenko speaks in a press release about his planned absence from a scheduled press tour to the United States at the start of December with stops set for New York, Las Vegas, and Los Angeles to promote his Janaury 24 superfight with former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski at Affliction ‘Day of Reckoning’. The decision comes on the heels of Emelianenko’s recent loss at the 2008 World Sambo Championships - a tournamnet that "The Last Emperor" only trained for part-time to accomodate for his busy media schedule and movie commitments.

Really excited about this fight. If Andrei works his takedown defence a lot this could be really interesting. he has the speed, power and skills to give Fedor all sorts of problems standing up but I think he'd be dead meat on the ground.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Drunkmonkey79

Should be a good one.
    Where can you see this? Does any channel air Affliction shows??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Should be a good one.
    Where can you see this? Does any channel air Affliction shows??

Internet is about it.

Can't see Arlovski winning, but should be a better showing than the last former UFC champ to step into the ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

A wise move by Fedor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

really looking forward to this but arlovski has been far from impressive in his last couple of fights.

just reading fedor's stats this was the 1st time he hasnt won at a sambo comp since 2000 :eek:

Not sure about this but won't Fedor have his usual new years eve match in japan also this year ?? Cant recall with 100% certainty but i thought i heard bas routen say something durring his commentary of the dream 6 event a while back.

Edit: here the vid of his sambo loss http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqke_ETJ3fk
    sambo actually seems more mma than mma is lol.
    Here is another a better quality of Fedor Emelianenko's (in blue) loss in Combat Sambo. The fighter, Blagoi Ivanov (in red), was signed by Affliction MMA moments after match although the two had been in talks for weeks prior to the tournament. Ivanov holds a record of 14-0-1 in amateur MMA.

Of the loss, Fedor said this:

"Yes, it was my first defeat in Combat Sambo, nothing shocking though. Its a sport, it could have happened in any moment. I'm happy that I haven't lost by KO or any other unpleasent way. I'v lost by the throw. In MMA you can be on your back as long as you want. In CS is a different rules. Nevertheless I started with Sambo and I love this sport and I will continue to compete in it. From every fight I learn something. In this case I learned that you can't have it all, if you do everyhting at ones. At the monent the most important thing for me is MMA. Its important for me to stay the champion. In MMA I won't let myself to relax at all. As for Sambo - its like a hobby (proper translation) to me, so I can relax a little bit. I can't train as hard for Sambo, because I have other things to do".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

calex71 wrote: »
    Not sure about this but won't Fedor have his usual new years eve match in japan also this year ?? Cant recall with 100% certainty but i thought i heard bas routen say something durring his commentary of the dream 6 event a while back.

They were talking about it but Affliction put a stop to it

• Advertisement
Advertisement