Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books on abuse

Options
  • 28-11-2008 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭

Has anyone bought a book written by, or on behalf of, a victim of abuse?
    Who buys these for entertainment, and why?
    Maybe it's just me, but there's just something not very entertaining about reading how a child was abused :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Oh words cannot describe how much I hate those books. There's a massive market for them though. So much so, that instead of stashing them away in biography as usual, WH Smith in the Uk how have an entire section in every shop entitled "Tragic life stories". Nearly wet myself when I saw that last week strolling through the shop- fiction, children's, cookery,academic, music, film, tragic life stories.

Oh Dave Pelzer, miserable man has a lot to answer for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Dr. Worm

Gods, those things are annoying. I walk into Eason's and I'm surrounded by doleful urchins and titles like 'Shattered' or something... Four shelves of biographies, and (I've checked this) four of them weren't abuse. Four. Then if someone starts talking about one, they'll give me a filthy look and start ranting just because I never read them.
    People's personal tragedies just shouldn't be broadcast or published, in my opinion. They're nobody's business but the people involved. If I was horrifically abused when I was small, I wouldn't write books about it. Why do they?
    It seems people just enjoy being shocked and outraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I can understand one or two of these books but a whole market? It's detestable really. Another disturbing genre I don't like is the 'Irish author writes about alcoholic father and family strife in Irish countryside' type. Anne Enright (sorry) and John McGahern, I still have nightmares about how painful it was to read amongst women, the god this is awful pain.

Advertisement