Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

heat in car

Options
  • 28-11-2008 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭

hi. the heat in the car isn't as warm as it used to be. its only luck warm even on the highist. with cold weather theese days i sort of need the heat.

had an accident on paddys weekend of the this year and i cut ny hand open and did nerve and muscle damage. because of thius my hand does be really sore when cold the heat takes the pain away.

its a 02 punto

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fletch...

its probly just cold air mixing with the heated air, ive noticed it with my car too. The reason im guessing this is because even when my heaters are off I still get warm heat from the engine blowing in trough the vents.

just a taught

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

cena wrote: »
    hi. the heat in the car isn't as warm as it used to be. its only luck warm even on the highist. with cold weather theese days i sort of need the heat.

had an accident on paddys weekend of the this year and i cut ny hand open and did nerve and muscle damage. because of thius my hand does be really sore when cold the heat takes the pain away.

its a 02 punto

check the coolant level...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

checked the coolant today. just below the max.

it ould be the cold air mixing with heat

• Registered Users Posts: 68,988 ✭✭✭✭L1011

On that model of Punto it could possibly be the heater matrix too but I'd expect there to be coolant loss for that. Either way, check to see if the carpets are damp at all when its dry outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

could be the thermostat

• Advertisement

i have thought it could be the tremostat. when i.m just sitting in the car the temp gauge goes up just above the middle of the gauge and when i start to drive it drops down 2 marks below the middle of the temp gauge.

how much would a new termostat cost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

cena wrote: »
    i have thought it could be the tremostat. when i.m just sitting in the car the temp gauge goes up just above the middle of the gauge and when i start to drive it drops down 2 marks below the middle of the temp gauge.
    That sounds pretty normal TBH. If the thermostat was stuck closed the engine could start overheating quickly when idle (and you'd probably have the opposite problem regarding the heater), and if it was stuck open the engine would take ages to get warm.

Thermostat costs about a tenner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fletch...

I wouldnt say you need a new thermostat as the engine is gonna cool as your driving anyways. The coolent only does half the job of cooling the radiator, the rest needs cool air (car in motion) taking the heat from the grill ect to keep cool. so its natural for the temprature to rise when the car is running idle.

Could be nothing at all, cars are gonna act funny this time of year anyways.
    I wouldnt be worried at all to be honest

edited to say im an idiot - could be thermostat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

You need a special Punto tool to sort this out, see attached...

ha ha. very funny. i like the puntos. not the worst car in the world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

not helpful darragh ...behave

OP
    No expereince with Puntos, but have you studied your manual? Just to make sure that all the right levers are open and the wrong ones shut ...

Some cars have strange combinations there

Advertisement