Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamestop Christmas Ad

Options
  • 28-11-2008 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭

OMG. Just saw a ridiculous ad for gamestop on the box. Complete load of rubbish involving some game characters dancing around singing some rubbish. Then, at the end, they say "Games make people merry" and "Gamestop, We give you more". Anyone see this?? Has to be one of the worst ads i've seen in my life!!

As for what theyre saying, it should be " We take more, from you". More being money obviously. Theyre the biggest rip off merchants goin IMO

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Possibly the most extortionate and greedy games shop and they are advertising as "giving you more"? If I was 70+ with nothing better to do I'd complain them for false advertising!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

This one?
    Kinda easier then describing an ad, you're welcome
    I always check prices before buying games and sure bought new release xbox360 games this week in Gamestop. If they are a rip-off then so are the other 3 chains I checked and everyone had the same price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I won't be buying any games this christmas from Gamestop or Game. Xtra Vision have really redeemed themselves in my eyes this year - great trade in values which is going to be important for stocking up on pixelated goodness for christmas :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

ya got lips last weak and got 2 free dvds with it for 60 euros now thats cheap in Xtravision it was 70 euro no dvds free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Have to say HMV is beating Xtra Vision in value terms in my eyes. Those are the only 2 places I'll buy games in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Gamestop over here are ridiculous. The prices on their preowned stuff is higher than some other shops new prices.

I find Xtravision is the place to go for second hand games. My local one has a huge selection of em. Most are between €15 and €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Much prefer the Game ads, at least they show the weekly discounted games (Fallout 3 this week).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Buy online people!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Kiith wrote: »
    Buy online people!

Not always cheaper and there's a chance of getting caught for customs. Paid €47 for Left 4 Dead in HMV.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ya, but you gotta walk about like suckers. And use gamesnash.com for a great Irish service. Thanks to their (and Tesco's) online delivery, i never have to leave the house again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

I think the ad is great - whatever about Gamestop themselves, loved the ad :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

WoW humour. The lowest form of humour. Lower than dead baby jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Kiith wrote: »
    Ya, but you gotta walk about like suckers. And use gamesnash.com for a great Irish service. Thanks to their (and Tesco's) online delivery, i never have to leave the house again.

I found gamesnash dearer then the hut & play (even with conversion rate)
    Ive been hooked on plays "deal of the day/week"
    Have Merc 2 en route for €27.99 & Rainbox 6 vegas 2 for €13.99
    Also got the following blu ray for £76 on the hut

Hellboy
    Hellboy II
    I am legend
    Blade runner
    Batman begins
    Batman - the dark knight

Its converting to roughly average €15 per blu ray (per cc statement), no bricks & mortor shop offers that value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Is that ad running on Irish TV? It's quite clearly a US advert. Jesus they are the cheapest bastards ever going, won't even make a proper christmas ad. They could have atleast put Irish voices in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭kaiser soza

Worst Christmas ad for a long time, it seems to be aimed at naive parents, really dumb not to show any of the great deals they have in store but to use a Michael Jackson style W.O.W. creature is just WEIRD.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

I wonder if Arenanet and PlayNC are getting any money for this.

It features characters and an area from Guild Wars but doesn't mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭tifosi 1

I recently saw that on TV and was appalled. I used to work for Gamestop/Gamesworld for close to 9 years. I know the head of Marketing for Gamestop and know they would never willingly allow themselves to be made foolish like this. This ad was forced upon them by the Yanks. The Yanks hold 51% controlling shares in the Irish arm of Gamestop and as such what they say goes. I imagine it was a cost cutting measure as the Marketing budget for Gamestop Ireland by Gamestop is nil. All their marketing is paid for by games company's.

Advertisement