Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open University Levels

Options
  • 28-11-2008 9:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,

I'm 25 years old with a leaving cert.

I'm planning on starting a business related degree in the new year with the OU. Now because I'm new to this, it seems to be the thing to start off with an introductory course to accustom oneself with an unfamiliar topic and the study that surrounds it.

What I'm asking here is, would it be a bad idea to jump in at the deep end and start with a more intense course, that would maybe keep me interested rather than spend 600+ euro on an intro course that (based on some of the feedback I've read) is very basic and 'boring'? I know it all adds up points wise but still!

I was thinking before the intense courses start in Feb, I could just learn the basics myself?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Yes - people do tend to assume that level 1 courses are "basic" and "boring" but it's no different than 1st year at a regular uni. Would you walk straight into second/third year classes there and keep up. Maybe, but you would find it a damn sight harder than someone who started from the beginning.

The drop out rates from level 2/3 courses that people took straight off vs. the drop out rates from those courses where students started from level 1 can be VERY startling. I saw it all the time in the OU where people started higher level courses assuming they could handle it, and dropped out in no time.

Level 1 courses also give you some "adjustment" time to get used to how the OU does things (which can sometimes be quite different from other institutions) - and how you work the OU into your life that higher level courses don't do.

Advertisement