Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How manly is your gun?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

dimebag249 wrote: »
    Is overkill for pheasant.
    Rule 37 applies.

SLKP-R37.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

I win!!! some of my toys. And yes I do make a clinking noise as I walk :) had my lower regions taken out and replaced with 2 .50BMG rounds (live)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eqVX0vyUmQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHUc_eHmAPg

Will take my camera to the range next day out. .44 mag revolver, Glock 17, SLR, MP5 in 22, PPK, LUGER P08, P38, COLT .45, etc etc.

Will post pics as soon as! any requests???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Howiyiz. I've been living under a rock lately. Can anyone tell me what the story is with buying a handgun in Ireland from now on? Do-able or not? Are they gonna take peoples handguns off them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Lets not forget that there are legal uses for 18" barrels, and that owning one not strictly illegal, as far as I know you just need permission.

It's an offence against the Firearms Acts for anyone except a RFD to have a shotgun whose barrel is less than 61 cm or to shorten the barrel of a shotgun to less than 61cm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

chem wrote: »
    I win!!! some of my toys. And yes I do make a clinking noise as I walk :) had my lower regions taken out and replaced with 2 .50BMG rounds (live)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eqVX0vyUmQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHUc_eHmAPg

Fierce recoil off them bad boys :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Mine is not very manly - it only shoots plastic BB's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Grizzly, do you mind me askin how much you paid for your 24 inch barrel and where you got it? Is it a Remington factory barrel, also is it Rem choke?

Wouldn't mind a Vepr at all, if you know any RFD that has them in stock for a good price gimme a shout!:D

Sorry mines a Mossberg.But Mssy has been supplying Remington with barrels for the last 12/15 years or so. It was a dual pack deal,a multi choke barrel and slug barrel.Dealer is gone now.Bought it ages ago.By and large there should be NO trouble getting a 24in barrel replacement here.

I know of three Saiga12 in Ireland. There is a lad doing them in Germany for practical shotgun matches. www.planetofgun.com.
    The Veper is the better and harder one to get,as glorious Russian Army has big order in for RPK machine guns for dealing with rebellious upstarts in Chechneya.Same factory makes both guns.

Fear not Comrades! You can also purchase,decadent,little Western girlie wooden stocks and very small magazines for decadent capitalist men who would feel threatend in man dept by magazine bigger than three shots.!!!:D
    For what American aggressors can make of good workers and peoples shotgun ,check out www.tromix.com/saiga.htm:D

Sorry guys,this link wont open from here.:(. Type the above link into your search engine and it opens fine for some reason.:confused:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

www.tromix.com

Ha from now on I'm referring to my guns as 'lead-delivery systems' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Jacobo

Ha from now on I'm referring to my guns as 'lead-delivery systems' :D

My pistols are paper punches :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭dimebag249

fat-tony wrote: »
    It's an offence against the Firearms Acts for anyone except a RFD to have a shotgun whose barrel is less than 61 cm or to shorten the barrel of a shotgun to less than 61cm.

Not entirely sure about that tony. According to the Criminal Justice Act:
    (6) It is an offence for a person (except a registered firearms dealer) to possess without lawful authority or reasonable excuse—

(a) a shot-gun the barrel of which is less than 61 centimetres in length,

I read that as meaning that if a person who is not a registered firearms dealer has lawful authority or a reasonable excuse, it is legal for them to possess a shotgun the barrel of which is less than 61 centimetres in length.

But then again I'm not a lawyer and haven't a flipping clue how to read or interpret legislation.

• Advertisement

Sorry, also:
    12A.— (1) Subject to subsection (2), a person who shortens the barrel of—

(a) a shot-gun to a length of less than 61 centimetres, or

(b) a rifle to a length of less than 50 centimetres,

is guilty of an offence.

This applies to shortening a barrel to less than 61cm. Says nothing about purchasing a shotgun with a short barrel, or purchasing an aftermarket barrel which is shorter than 61cm.

Again, if anyone is aware of any case law on this it might make it a bit clearer. Any lawyers out there?

Yes, but where are you going to get the lawful authority or "reasonable excuse" to possess a sawn-off shotgun (one which is less than 61cm):confused:
    The SI 21/2008 (Restricted Firearms and ammunition Order) specifically places shotguns with a barrel length shorter than 60.9cm on the restricted list. Technically, I suppose you could make a case for possession but it would be exceptional. Shotgun certs are easier to get than rifle (or pistol) certs because they are unrifled and have barrels greater than 61cm (24 inches) and have historically been used by farmers etc. for vermin control. Once you get into reducing the barrel length you are into different purpose of use (including concealment etc.) which is presumably why the legislation is framed the way it is.

There's no restricted firearms list yet tony.

"Sawn-off" shotguns with barrels shorter than 61cm are apparently illegal to own. Short barreled shotguns, whether they have a barrel of 20, 18 or 10 inches, are not. Seems that way to me anyway.

Shotguns with barrels shorter than 24" are frequently used in practical shooting AFAIK. I'd imagine that would be a good enough excuse, but I guess we're all guessing unless someone has any actual experience with this that they'd like to share.

Shotguns with barrels shorter than 24" are also used by farmers around the world for vermin control. I don't see why vermin control wouldn't be a reasonable excuse to own a 22" barrel, I guess it's up to the Superintendant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

It was commenced in May AFAIK.

It was commenced in May AFAIK.

Whoops. Better get home and stick the plug in the auld 12 guage before I get sent to jail for several years.

Seriously though, I thought that bs had been at least postponed, no? I don't wanna go to jail!

It was signed by the Minister for Justice in Feb. this year with a commencement date of May, but for various reasons to do with sections of the CJA 2006 not being enacted (including the 3-year licence) etc. etc., the actual provisions of the SI are not being enforced as far as I am aware.
    The intent, obviously, is to put beyond doubt for Superintendents what is classified as non-restricted, the rest being restricted. My point is that the intention of the various Firearms Acts and the CJA 2006 clearly places a lower limit of 24 inches or 60.9cm on a regular shotgun barrel. Agreed?:)

Thanks tony, I don't have to go to jail! :) Yet!:(

No, you are right about that, I certainly wouldn't want to be the one explaining why I had a 10" Benelli to a Judge.

Edit: I don't have a 10" Benelli. That would be a lot of fun though.

Edit: I don't have a 10" Benelli. That would be a lot of fun though.

Is Benelli a euphemism for something else that might be considered large at 10":eek:

http://www.arthurshall.com/x_2008_manly_guns_2.shtml

But wait, there's more. See if your gun was manly enough to make the new list. It probably wasn't.

http://www.arthurshall.com/x_2008_manly_guns_2.shtml

But wait, there's more. See if your gun was manly enough to make the new list. It probably wasn't.

My K98 made the list :D I'm so manly!

• Advertisement

That's far too funny for words :D
    Mind you, it's fairly pig-ignorant (Rourke's Drift as a great military success story? :D There's someone who thinks a history book is only good enough for a backstop!), but still. Damn funny.

Doesn't knock the Mall Ninja from the top spot though :D

I have one in my collection that was used to kill Commies on the Eastern Front, then was captured by the Commies, rearsenaled and used to kill Nazis. It's twice as cool.

Jesus, just realised that sums up my mauser pretty good too :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Used the FN for a while will in the reserves very accurate rifle, got to admit I was handy with stripping it down and reassembling it pretty quick to. Nothing like have shell marks from the 7.62 burn into your forearm with the shells flying out of the breech when you are wearing short sleeve shirts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

[
    quote=dimebag249;58126175]There's no restricted firearms list yet tony.

"Sawn-off" shotguns with barrels shorter than 61cm are apparently illegal to own. Short barreled shotguns, whether they have a barrel of 20, 18 or 10 inches, are not. Seems that way to me anyway.
    Geerally known as "shot pistols" or 12X57mm cal pistols.;):)
    Shotguns with barrels shorter than 24" are frequently used in practical shooting AFAIK. I'd imagine that would be a good enough excuse, but I guess we're all guessing unless someone has any actual experience with this that they'd like to share.
    Not anymore...courtsey of Aytollah Aherne..And the longer the barrel,the longer the magazine tube you can hang under it.:D
    Shotguns with barrels shorter than 24" are also used by farmers around the world for vermin control. I don't see why vermin control wouldn't be a reasonable excuse to own a 22" barrel, I guess it's up to the Superintendant.
    [/QUOTE]
    you are really not gaining anything with a 22 in barrel.or 12 or 18 either.Unless you are intending to rob the local convience store or are in LEO,Govt or BG work and need a concealable shotgun for some reason

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    the longer the barrel,the longer the magazine tube you can hang under it.:D
    Yes, but anything with a capacity over 3 shells, and it's a restricted firearm.

Advertisement